• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reduce size without affecting fonts

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello I know there is a lot on here about reducing PDF sizes, but I'm having some trouble doing so without affecting my fonts. 

After choosing Optimize PDF > Advanced Optimization and checking what is taking up all my space through Audit space usage, I can see that 97.21% is used by images and only 0.04% by fonts. 

Hence, I'd like to reduce my PDF size by downsampling the images and not affecting the fonts. However, whether or not I select Do not unembed any font or not, my fonts still get messed up and appears something like in the attached photo. On top of that, nothing shows up in the Embedded fonts or Fonts to unembed boxes (also shown in the attached photo).

Anyone knows what I should do?Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 1.46.24 pm.pngoriginal.pngafter.png

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

I used Photoshop to create the PDF pages

So, what you see is an optimized image, not text.

There is nothing you can do, unless creating the PDF with InDesign, Illustrator, Word, LibreOffice, etc.
Any software you like but not an image processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how was the PDF document created? did you use a print to PDF from word to make the document or did you import is using adobe?

the reason i ask, is if you print to PDF it has likely set all the text as images rather than text(font) itself. that would explain the degredation of the text on the page.

if you go to the edit PDF tab and click on the text, is it editable? as in can you change the text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see! I used Photoshop to create the PDF pages and combined them in Acrobat. What should I do then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this going to be a fillable form? or just a plain PDF document?

I dont have Photoshop, so i cant trial different methods for you, but if you did it that way, i believe each page is actually classed as just a picture. Could you share your document?

what you may have to do is take the text out of the photoshop images and creat a new PDF with them then go to 'Edit PDF' in acrobat and 'Add Text' to insert text fields where you want them and type information back in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually don't need the text to be editable at all. It is not a form, just a little portfolio I'm trying to put together. What file type is useful for me to share?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you share your final PDF i can have a look and try make recommendations

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with JR_Boulay.

The document is not over complex. I suggest doing up the document in word.

There are a couple of approaches you can take for that as well... personally, i would do the following. This way you will have the best resolution for your photos.

1. Make a work document with all of the text that you want (duplicate the font and size used in the current one). dont worry about placement of the text on each page too much at that stage as you can easily move it around in Adobe.

2. once you have your document. Either do Save as PDF or use Adobe to import the word document.

3. Now using 'Edit PDF' you can move all of your text into specific placement and 'add Image' for your pictures (if you add images in word before, the resolution will not be as good because of the way the programs treat images)

4. save as a normal PDF first before optimising to check the size. If you follow the method above, the file size is sure to be smaller already because all of the blank spaces on the page will be just that, not part of your images.

Let me know how you go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Photoshop to create the PDF pages

So, what you see is an optimized image, not text.

There is nothing you can do, unless creating the PDF with InDesign, Illustrator, Word, LibreOffice, etc.
Any software you like but not an image processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Non of these people know. You should have used InDesign export to pdf and select the pdf preset "Smallest fille size", then in the "Compression" tab un-check the "Compress Text and Line Art". It was that simple, and your document will preserve the text characteristics (this is assuming you wrote the text in it on Photoshop and saved it as Hi-res pdf). 

Sam2684277572bc_0-1668684281532.pngSam2684277572bc_1-1668684315241.pngSam2684277572bc_2-1668684326462.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Non of these people know." Well, it's good to have an expert here at last.

"You should have used InDesign export to pdf and select the pdf preset " Can you take us through how to do that when the design was made in Photoshop, please?

" in the "Compression" tab un-check the "Compress Text and Line Art" I've always been under the impression that compression of text and line art was lossless. Can you take us through what is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines