• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove duplicate comments in PDF

Engaged ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been given a PDF with a few hundred comments. When I open it however, the comments seem to create a set of duplicates. The duplicated set cannot be checked or deleted or otherwise edited, making tracking what has been done problematic.

I did some searching on the forums and found this script:

https://www.try67.com/tool/acrobat-reader-dc-remove-duplicate-comments

It reports an error when installed and acrobat is opened (GeneralError: Operation failed. App.addToolButton:9:Folder-Level:User:RemoveDuplicateComments.js The name for the toolbutton must be unique)

I've emailed the author for help but in the meantime, if anyone knows of any other method for removing duplicate comments, or knows what causes them, I'd be grateful to hear about it.

I suspect the PDF (mine originally) was commented by the proofreader using something other than acrobat (I have no way to check easily, proofreading was done elsewhere in a long project chain) and the commenter is identified only as "Windows" where I'd expect to see a name (not terribly useful), but either way I have to work from this! 

I'm using all the latest Adobe CC versions of everything on MacOS Big Sur (Mac Mini M1).

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

This error message is an indication that you already have a script installed that uses the same toolutton name. This could mean that you've copied the file to your JavaScripts folder twice with different filenames, but it could also be caused by a different tool that installs a toolbutton with the same name. If it's a duplicate install, remove the 2nd version and try again. I've just installed it on a Mac, but with an Intel processor, and that works without a problem. 

Try67 is a regular here,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This error message is an indication that you already have a script installed that uses the same toolutton name. This could mean that you've copied the file to your JavaScripts folder twice with different filenames, but it could also be caused by a different tool that installs a toolbutton with the same name. If it's a duplicate install, remove the 2nd version and try again. I've just installed it on a Mac, but with an Intel processor, and that works without a problem. 

Try67 is a regular here, so there is a good chance that he will see your post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines