Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Rename an open PDF in Acrobat?

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often receive PDF files that I want to rename once I have looked at the content more closely.

How do I just rename an open file in Acrobat (rather than Save As, or closing the file and going into the OS file manager to do it?)

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 22, 2018 Jul 22, 2018
Not only can you not rename files INSIDE Acrobat, you cannot rename a file at all, in Windows, while the file is open. Acrobat is a perfectly normal app in this regard.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat can't rename files. Use your file manager.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...2 years later.... is there any reason (that im not understanding) for that?  the point is ...that would be really usefull ! 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not in acrobat but in document cloud we can! .... so i have to open 2 apps for work 1 file ! .... this is ...just a bit strange !  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only can you not rename files INSIDE Acrobat, you cannot rename a file at all, in Windows, while the file is open. Acrobat is a perfectly normal app in this regard.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible in other apps. I have been using another reader on another PC and been renaming files while open for years.

Just now i am stuck on a PC with Adobe, and unable to rename. So I think its not normal, some apps can do it. 

I know your answer is 2 years old, i mean no offence but had to comment for others sake.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible to achieve this with the filename stamper action plugin?

https://acrobatusers.com/assets/uploads/actions/File_Name_Stamper.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiwraXS2PfmAhVOeKwKH... 

I mean, is the closest thing that you may achieve what you're inquiring from within the Acrobat application.

See slide:

20200109_184428.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workplace switched from Mac to PC, and I am shocked that it is not possible to rename files while they are open. This is a basic function that something like PDF Expert can do on a Mac. How is corporate America functioning with such outdated technology?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe so, but lots of imageviewers let you rename a picture which APPEARS to be open to the user (meaning you can see it simultaneously while renaming).

From a technical perspective I guess the file is closed/unlocked in the background without changing the 'screen looking at it, renamed and opened again.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sumatra PDF is the only application I have found that does this well:

• Open the PDF, to see what it is
  • Hit F2 (inside Sumatra PDF, while you're still looking at the PDF)
  • File selector dialog comes up, with title "Rename to"
  • Type new name of file, hit Save
  • Boom - you've renamed the file, and now have the renamed file open to continue viewing.

Adobe, why is this hard? I understand that there would be some issues if the user had already made edits, but you could easily force a save along with the rename.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the mean time, the answer which didnt look any further then a superficial first glance is marked 'correct'.

Maybe its technically true, but misses your point.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works! I can't believe Adobe Acrobat Pro DC doesn't have this simple but very useful function.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This a nightmare! I dont get why such sophisticated tool cannot do such a simple and absolutly necessary action. Will try another app now.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines