• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Renaming all bookmarks by removing XXXX characters from the beginning of all of them

New Here ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a set of files that I need to compile into a pdf.  They are named in a way that ensures they are in the correct order in the folder  for how I want them to be bookmarked in my pdf.  The names of the bookmarks I want  are all the characters after the last _ in the file name. 

Ex. 

20220514_name_my bookmark name.doc 

20220516_name2_my 2nd bookmark name.doc      

20220518_name3_my 3rd bookmark name.pdf   

20220522_name4_my 4th bookmark name.doc       

When I compile these, the bookmarks are the complete  file names, but I would like them to be

my bookmark name 

my 2nd bookmark name     

my 3rd bookmark name   

my 4th bookmark name   

Is there a way to rename all of the bookmarks once teh pdf is compiled by trimming off everything  prior to the name I would like for the bookmark?  I don't want to have to click on each individual bookmark to rename them. 

Or, is there a way to change the names during the compiling process?

There are at least 20 files that are getting compiled for each pdf  and  this is something I have to do often so would like a quick way to do it. 

I am not a programmer, but I have worked with python, VBA, and minorly with other languages. I could probably adjust someones JAVA script  or some other language if  there was code out there to do something like this (with a little documentation).  I'm just not sure where to look. 

Thank you for any help you can give me. 

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try this script:

function renameBookmark(bkm,level) {
	var theName=bkm.name.split("_");
	try {bkm.name=theName[2].replace(/(.doc|.pdf)$/i,"")} catch(e) {}
	if (bkm.children!=null) for (var i=0; i<bkm.children.length; i++) renameBookmark(bkm.children[i],level++);
}
renameBookmark(this.bookmarkRoot,0);

@+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you!  This worked perfectly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines