• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reopen tabs

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why have the ability to open multiple pdfs, one per tab, in a session and then not have the same tabbed files open first next time Acrobat is used. I find it super annoying that I have to write down the files I had opened in acrobat tabs if I need to update windows and then have to reopen these manually next time I start acrobat. Is there a way of reopening tabs that were open when the software was last closed in the next session?

If not, why not? and why have tabs in the first place?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Ok, case closed. I just realized that you have to save every file in an open tab for it to re-open in a new session. This is still a pain, but at least files reopen in the same tabs.  Maybe Adobe should store files in a temporary folder until they are saved or removed by the user from Acrobat by closing the tab. Having them in a temp folder amounts to the same thing as saving but after they are closed by the user they'd be flushed from the hard drive (perhaps with the same warning when closing m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Adobe Acrobat does you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pro DC 2021.005.20048 - it is up to date....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Check on the preferences shown in the screen shot below, in order for this to work you'll need to quit acrobat and relaunch after each session not just closing......

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 3.02.26 AM.png

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked that box and even when I quit and relaunch the only tab that reopens is the first one in the collection of tabs that were open. 

gbrenthall_0-1624491201086.png

Only the first of these two tabs will reopen. Why have a tabbed interface that requires all tabs to close on exit and then only reopens the first in the list on restart. Even worse that this the recently open file list doesn't include the files that were open when the software was closed. There doesn't seem to be any way to get rid of the tabbed interface - it is more of a hindrance that a help as it seduces users into opening files in multiple tabs and then loses all track of them on reopening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're interested, I've developed a (paid-for) tool that allows you to save multiple "sessions" and then load them again later on with a single click. You can find it here: https://www.try67.com/tool/acrobat-reader-save-and-load-sessions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks like it works with a much older version of Acrobat than I have. When was it last updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was created for an older version but works with the current version just as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, case closed. I just realized that you have to save every file in an open tab for it to re-open in a new session. This is still a pain, but at least files reopen in the same tabs.  Maybe Adobe should store files in a temporary folder until they are saved or removed by the user from Acrobat by closing the tab. Having them in a temp folder amounts to the same thing as saving but after they are closed by the user they'd be flushed from the hard drive (perhaps with the same warning when closing multiple tabs - and change the message! Closed tabs will be removed unless saved.

This post is henceforth solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines