• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rollover state larger than original image—target is too large

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I am working in InDesign (17.1) to create a PDF that will be downloaded and also live within a web-based PDF display environment on client's site. I'm not sure what it's called, but I can see that some types of rollovers and buttons work and some do not. 

We've determined that a show/hide button doesn't show up in the display environment, even though it works perfectly when downloaded and viewed in Reader/Acrobat. So we're forced to use a button with a rollover state to have something show up when you roll over it. The box that shows up when you roll over is much larger than the icon you hover over in order to see it. The problem is that before you can see that larger box, its entire footprint is active as the hover target. This is fine in some cases where there are only a few icons, but in some cases there are multiple items whose larger boxes overlap, so this means the hover targets can sometimes cover each other up. 

Does anyone know of a way to force the hover target in a rollover state button to match the static state rather than the rolled-over state? 

Example attached. The problem button is at the bottom. We'd prefer for only the red caution circle icon to be the hover target, but if you hover way over to the right of it (anywhere the green box will show up) you get the popup open. Like I said, in this example page it's not hurting anything, but there are other places where we have multiple targets near each other whose boxes will overlap when hovering. 

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

I used Acrobat Pro to add an invisible button over the red icon that manage the visibility of the green button.

See attachment.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used Acrobat Pro to add an invisible button over the red icon that manage the visibility of the green button.

See attachment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, that looks perfect on my end (sending to client to test it in their display environment). Couple of follow up questions if you don't mind... 

1. Can you send me a tutorial for the button creation method you used? I see that it can be done under Rich Media, Forms, etc... I have never made them within Acrobat, only exported from InDesign. 

2. Can you predict whether it would be possible to keep this functionality if we needed to re-export the PDF? We have kept other interactive elements in PDFs by "replacing page" in an existing PDF and I'm wondering if that would work here... I don't trust the client to be done making text changes. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1. You can do this in InDesign too, using the "Show/hide buttons and forms" action.

2. "Replace page" replace the layout only, everything else is left untouched (comments, forms fields, metadata, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines