• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

save pdf with selected layers

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pdf that has layers. I want to only have one of the layers visible then save so that the print shop can print in large format. When I save with only selected layer visible, the file still has all the layers showing. How do I fix this?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

All layers have a default visibility value. It is these default values that determine the visibility on opening. On the layers panel, right click on a layer and select properties to set this value. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If it is a document that you're processing ready for print, and you don't want all the layers visible, would it be convenient if you merge all layers into a single layer?

See more options here:https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/pdf-layers.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't think merging would work. i don't want to show the other layers. only this one. i don't want to delete but need a file i can send to printers that has only the one layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the link I suggested above it has a section that covers on how to hide them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

most of the options in the option menu are grayed out. i can only reset which displays all,  or list layers for current page or all pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 3.44.13 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you click on Layer Properties, what options are presented to you (if any)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nothing. grayed out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening, in Acrobat or Reader? and which version.

Can you check in Document Properties what was used as the source program to create this PDF document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a file i purchased and it is passworded to make changes. i can make layers not visible and print on my printer. it is acrobat pro dc latest version. dont know what she used to create file. it is a pattern for sewing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't get the password to unlock the editing restrictions and be able to edit the file, instead of setting layers to not visible amd printing to the printer, set the layers to not visible and print to PDF.

The resulting PDF is what you can use to continue to work with your desired edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

from within acrobat pro dc you can't print to pdf. it says you have to save file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you save it as a postcript file(.ps)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever figure this out? I am doing the same thing and having the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am thinking that you may need to use tghe Accessibility checker and run a Full Report to see the real errors.

After examining the report, use the Print Production tool, select "Preflight" then "PDF Fixups", and click on analyze and fix.

This may take long depending on the size of the document in term of pages. Sometimes it may even crash with out of memory errors if you do this while other documents are opened. So if this file is too big take care in maybe splitting the file in smaller chunks of pages to process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem. What I did was: Unselecting the layers I did not want to, and then to select the printer "Microsoft print to PDF" ..so I saved it as another PDF without those layers.

Of course doing like that, you lose info about the layers and so on but it works if what you want is to send or save PDF with omitted layers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All layers have a default visibility value. It is these default values that determine the visibility on opening. On the layers panel, right click on a layer and select properties to set this value. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you want the layers to be only turned on when a specific button is selected?  I have 6 layers on top of each other, and have action assigned to 6 radio buttons that turn the layer visibility on/off depending on the choice.  My issue is if i save my document or email a the form the layer deafults back to its default state as "off".  Keeping the default state to "on" is not an option as ou can image 6 layers looks messy.  Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two ways to do this:

1.  Set the OCG.initState property. This sets the default visibility when the visisibility options is set ot Visible when on. Here's the reference entry:

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/acrobat/acrobat_dc_sdk/2015/HTMLHelp/#t=Acro12_MasterBook%2FJS_API_Acro...

However, this property is not reliable in Reader.   I haven't checked it lately, but is uses to not be settable in Reader.

2. Use the button states to set the visibilty with a document script. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My approach to this issue (which comes up often) is to use a hidden field to save the states of all the layers whenever the file is saved, and then read the contents of this field and change the layers' states according to the data in it when the file is opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually do the same thing. However in this case the poster indicated they have radio buttons which determine visibility, so there are already form fields holding the state information. So just use those. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I was able to save the document with the selected layer state as chosen by the radio button. My new issue is that the document does not function in web-based document viewers, such as chrome or microsoft edge.  The document functions in Adobe reader & Pro.  On web based viewers the layers are no visible, when selecting the radio buttons. Is this issue becuase i am using layers in my document, or is it the way i set up the layer visability? I associated the layer visability based radio button actions.  Would I be able to use a javascript in oder for this document to work in chrome or edge document readers?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These plugins don't support scripting or layers fully, unfortunately. There's nothing you can do about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very few PDF viewers support layers. It's a rather advanced feature. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same issue! Can you send me what you used for your document script? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines