Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

saving completed forms into uneditable pdf

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

I have just created a proposal for our business and I want my sales people to be able to fill it out and save it as a non-form pdf if they need to send a soft copy. ie make the forms not interactive when sent.

Could you tell me how to do this.

thanks

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

- Flattening: Use this code:

this.flattenPages();

- Setting fields as read-only: Use this code:

for (var i=0; i<this.numFields; i++) {

var f = this.getField(this.getNthFieldName(i));

if (f==null) continue;

f.readonly = true;

}

- Digital Signature: You can add it in Form Edit mode and then under its Properties go to the Signed tab and set it to lock all the fields when signed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do they have Acrobat or just the free Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ideally id like them to be able to do it in reader but most of them have acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Acrobat it's possible to flatten the fields, converting them to static contents.

With Reader you can set them as read-only.

But the most secure way of doing it (in either application) is by digitally signing the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DO you have instructions for that?

Both Flattening the fields and or setting it up to sign the documents digitally.

Thanks so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Flattening: Use this code:

this.flattenPages();

- Setting fields as read-only: Use this code:

for (var i=0; i<this.numFields; i++) {

var f = this.getField(this.getNthFieldName(i));

if (f==null) continue;

f.readonly = true;

}

- Digital Signature: You can add it in Form Edit mode and then under its Properties go to the Signed tab and set it to lock all the fields when signed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou very much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you want to be able to flatten the fields without having to enter code each time there is a free Flatten Page Content Tool here-

Free Acrobat Automation Tools

(scroll down the list of free tools, it is a ways down the list).

This will only work in Acrobat since you can't flatten content in the free Reader.

Hope this helps,

Dimitri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, if the fillable form is available to more than one person, each person need to install this tool. The question is the following: What is the procedure to save the filled form ONLY in an uneditable form? Not to mention that it is not explained WHERE should I add the code?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on how you want it to be triggered. If you use a signature field use that field's Signed event.

Otherwise you can add a "Finalize Form" button to the file that will execute the code to flatten the fields, and also hide itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I think you understood that I am a newbie.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

I created a fillable form, which my colleagues and I are going to use as needed.

However, after filling it, the SAVE procedure shouldn't work, only the SAVE AS, which will flatten the editable fields.

I tried with JS applied to "Document actions", but it (obviously) applies only to the opened document, so if  I open the fillable form and save, it will convert it to a RO file.

The "Finalize Form" would be very cool if it would request a file name change - I don't want to convert my fillable form.

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't prevent a file from being saved, unless it's located on a network drive that you control the permission on.

You can't create a generic function that will work when any file is saved in the application. All such scripts must exist within the file itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can "print as pdf". The fillable form will be save as flattened uneditable file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this done with code? I don't see that option in the execute menu item list. Can it be made to automatically select "save to PDF" as the printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can send the file to the Adobe PDF printer using a script, but you can't specify the file-name. The user will have to do that manually. Also, this won't work in Reader, as it doesn't come with that printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And of course it won't work on your salespeople's phones, tablets or Macs. If these are allowed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines