• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Security on a pdf form

Contributor ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im completing a pdf form with my personal details and my signature. Im not sure what to do in order to making it secure! Maybe make it as read-only so noone else can use my details? Can someone guide me on this? I am using the Acrobat Pro DC version.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your specific concern? Is it to protect your signature (a copy of your handwritten signature) from being copied and used in other files? Is it to keep your personal details secret?

What are you expected to do with this form? I assume you have to return it somehow to someone? But what do they say you must do? Under no circumstances email personal info, even if a company tells you to!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right guys, I understand. I just read somewhere, that when turning a pdf form file as a read-only, someone with bad intentions would not be able to use it easily. I guess under that thought I was trying to do something similar.

That form, Is a claim form, it will be sent along with some personal info, in order to get some money back.

If it was to make it a read-only, how could I make it so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, it depends on the goal. If you want to prevent people from editing it, then digitally sign it.

If you want to prevent them (to some extent) from opening it without your permission, you can apply a security policy to it with a password, but there are many ways around it, as mentioned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We really need the answer to my question in more detail. Because, adding security may make your form rejected in some cases, or useless, or worse than useless. So please - "What are you expected to do with this form? I assume you have to return it somehow to someone? But what do they say you must do?"  EXACTLY how are you supposed to get it to them [the person handling the claim]? What do they say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The claim form must be filled in by me and sent to the insurance company via email. If the claim is aprooved, then the insurance company will return money to me.

Im sorry, I hope I understood and I'm describing what you want me to specify 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's exactly the answer needed. As I said my position is "Under no circumstances email personal info, even if a company tells you to!".  If you are going to email it, there's really no effective way to protect it.  If you have the paid-for Adobe Acrobat you COULD put a password to open the file, but of course you can't put the password in the same email. You could maybe ring them with the password, but they may not have a system for working that way. Also, they probably have an automated system, and most automated systems fail if there is a password.... No, I don't really have a recommendation, it's shocking to hear they want you to email it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make it clear to them they are legally obligated to keep your information private and may not share it with any third-parties without your consent. If you're based in the EU they are obligated to do so anyway, under EU privacy laws. But in terms of technology, there isn't much you can do to prevent it from happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone who can open the form will be able to copy the details from it, of course. Even if by re-typing them manually (no security in the world can stop that). If the details are that sensitive then you need to re-consider if putting them in this file is a good idea in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines