Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select default printer

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use Acrobat pro DC (2021.007.20099) on my Mac (Monterey 12.01.1) and have the problem that the default printer by the operating systemis not selected from Acrobat.
The standard printer works fine from other applications and is selected immediately. But a different printer is always suggested for Acrobat. If I then select the default printer, it will be used - as long as the Acrobat app remains open. If I close the app and then open a PDF again, the wrong printer is suggested again.

Does any of you have an idea what I can try?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Print and prepress , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

I too have had the same problem, with Acrobat defaulting to my 'Dymo' before the default 'FX'. I tried renaming the Dymo, and that didn't work (the 'Device Name' retained "DYMO" at the front).

What did work:

1. Remove the Dymo

2. Add it back in again, but removing the word 'Dymo' from the printer name. Doing so meant that the Device Name became 'LabelWriter 450' - the DYMO at the front has disappeared.

It now defaults to the FX..... printer as it's Device Name is now alphabetically before the Dymo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

I had to fully remove the printer and add it again. On my Monterey, it appears to be sorting by "Device Name" and as you can see from this screenshot, that name can't be edited, but it *CAN* be edited at the time of installation.

The second screen shot is my Dymo, which I removed the "Dymo" from at the beginning to send it further down the line, it's the only way it worked for me.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 9.21.41 am.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 9.23.42 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

It's fixed for me as well on Build 20112!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 106 Replies 106
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Timo

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described the application dont remember the printer used for printing the PDF file.

As you have the recent version 21.07.20099 installed, please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...  and see if that works.

You may also try to create a new test user profile with full admin rights or enable the root account in Mac and try using the application there.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,
I deleted the files you wrote about. When I restarted Acrobat, I got the "welcome message", but that didn't change the printer selection.
I also logged on as a different user, but there is the same problem. The wrong printer is always used and not the standard printer specified in the system settings.
Do you have another idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Please check out the help page that i have found on apple support https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchlp1036/10.14/mac/10.14 and see if that works for you.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal, I think you misunderstood me. I already know how to configure a standard printer under Mac OS-X. I did this. All apps also use this standard printer ... even with Photoshop it is used automatically.
Only with Acrobat the standard printer is not used, but a different one. If I manually switch to the other printer in the print menu, the printout is correct and each PDF then takes the printer I selected last - until I close the Acrobat app, it starts all over again with the wrong printer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Have you tried using the application in the new test user profile with fulladmin rights or in the root account (Mac)?

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This too has the same outcome. Adobe acrobat does not seem to remember the default printer.. Bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a working solution, sorry Amal..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. It is getting on my nreves: i print documents on a Dymo! Crazy.. Can't set the default to the normal A4 printer. Same problem as you have...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. It always defaults to my home printer, even though my office printer is the selected default printer. I'm running macOS Monterey 12.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I'm running MacOS Monterey version 12.0.1. I have a locally connected Dymo label printer and a wifi connected HP LaserJet. The HP is selected as the default printer in my Mac Printers and Scanners settings and all other applications correctly default to the HP, except for Adobe Acrobat. Even if the printer is disconnected from my computer, and is unavailable, it is still selected by default. I see no way to tell Acrobat that my default printer is the HP, NOT the Dymo. It gets quite frustrating, especially when I forget that I have to manually adjust for Acrobat to print to my default printer and it tries to send a document to my label printer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Please go through the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/change-system-default-printer.html and see if that works for you.

Note: Steps remains the same for the new version.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Amal, sorry to say, but we are no beginners here.. I work with Adobe and Apple since 1995 (Ah, yes i am almost dead). So, if you don't mind me saying, please stop with making these child simple solutions please. This is what we already know and did first thing of course...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

We are sorry to hear that. Please collect the Adobe CC logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html and Procmon logs - Windows only https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html of the affected machine and share the logs via document cloud https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/sharing-pdfs.html

So that we can isolate the issue for the fix.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Amal for your reply, I will need to find time to do so. Kind regards, Hans Bos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uploaded my logs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have uploaded my logs as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Timo Goldau & @Leslee Teafatiller 

Would you mind sharing the logs file with us via Document Cloud as described here https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/sharing-pdfs.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sent you my logs in a personal message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I thought that I did it via the document cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have the same problem and it is driving me crazy. Running on Mac Moterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 11, 2021 Dec 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Mac Pro (2019) running macOS Monterey.

Any solution Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing the details in private message. As you have a company machine and network printer, it seems to be some profile related issue. Please get in touch with your IT admin and check if this issue is hapenning with the local machines as well.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please offer more specifc solutions. What kind of "profile related issue" would suddenly cause Adobe to start choosing an unconnected printer as the default? Up until recently, Adobe has always printed to the default system printer. Now it does not. I don't see how the computer belonging to my company could affect anything at all. Although the printer is connected to a "network," we are a small company and do not have a complicated infrastructure that requires an IT Department, thus there is no IT Department to straighten this out for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I've only 2 Macs connected to a network printer. I'm my own IT admin and have decided that recent updates of Adobe applications are more likely to cause such a misbehaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines