Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select default printer

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use Acrobat pro DC (2021.007.20099) on my Mac (Monterey 12.01.1) and have the problem that the default printer by the operating systemis not selected from Acrobat.
The standard printer works fine from other applications and is selected immediately. But a different printer is always suggested for Acrobat. If I then select the default printer, it will be used - as long as the Acrobat app remains open. If I close the app and then open a PDF again, the wrong printer is suggested again.

Does any of you have an idea what I can try?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Print and prepress , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

I too have had the same problem, with Acrobat defaulting to my 'Dymo' before the default 'FX'. I tried renaming the Dymo, and that didn't work (the 'Device Name' retained "DYMO" at the front).

What did work:

1. Remove the Dymo

2. Add it back in again, but removing the word 'Dymo' from the printer name. Doing so meant that the Device Name became 'LabelWriter 450' - the DYMO at the front has disappeared.

It now defaults to the FX..... printer as it's Device Name is now alphabetically before the Dymo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

I had to fully remove the printer and add it again. On my Monterey, it appears to be sorting by "Device Name" and as you can see from this screenshot, that name can't be edited, but it *CAN* be edited at the time of installation.

The second screen shot is my Dymo, which I removed the "Dymo" from at the beginning to send it further down the line, it's the only way it worked for me.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 9.21.41 am.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 9.23.42 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

It's fixed for me as well on Build 20112!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 106 Replies 106
Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested the same versions of Acrobat DC on two Macbook Pros, one running Monterey and the other Big Sur. The one running Monterey had this problem of selecting printers in alpha order, and the Big Sur machine correctly selected the default printer as set in the OS. I'm now thinking that it's an issue only with Monterey. I'd like other users to confirm this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that I am also running Acrobat DC on an iMac running Monterey and this is the behavior I experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2022 Feb 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll confirm I am having the same issue on a MacBook Pro running Monterey (i.e., Acrobat uses the first alphabetic printer, not the designated default printer). I did not have this problem under Big Sur. It began when I upgraded to Monterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I, too, can confirm this issue. While using Big Sur, Adobe had no problem recognizing—and keeping—my primary (default) printer. Now, since Monterey, Adobe ONLY recognizes my DYMO Label Printer as the default printer. This is either an Adobe issue, or an Apple issue. As inconvenient as it is, I can remember to change printers when I need to use Adobe to print a .pdf file. However, the difficulty is for my wife and daughter to remember. Hence, not inadvertently printing up all my DYMO labels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... by the way, renaming printers was not a fix for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested this with a Mac Pro running Big Sur and it doesn't have this issue.

Both my Mac Pro and Mac Book Pro running Monterey have this issue.

Extremely high chance that this is a Monterey specific issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There obviously was a enough of a change in the print mechanics in Monterey that slipped by the Acrobat team. I'm sure they know NOW, so hopefully a fix will come.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you reckon that they don't have time to leave a little note on this (Adobe) forum to let us know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Brad. I did rename the printer with the underscore _ character in front of the name, and it's now at the top of the alpha list of printers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coolio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2022 Jan 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Same problem here but the "rename printers to alphabetical order" *hack* (certainly not a 'fix') is *not* working for me.

* Monterey 12.1 (21C52)
* Acrobat Pro DC - Continuous Release 2021.011.20039

I have an HP printer that is my system default but Acrobat keeps choosing my Brother as the default every time it opens.

I've tried making the HP 'float' to the top of the list with both tilde and the letter 'A' pre-pennede but even after reboots it's not sticking in Acrobat.

Next thoughts?

This is a set-up I've used for years with not a hitch. This clearly seems to be an issue with Acrobat and Monterey.

Thanks,
Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had success placing an underscore _ before the printer name. I first unistalled my printer and reinstalled it naming it "_HP Laserjet Professional 1606". It comes up at the top of my printer list now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to fully remove the printer and add it again. On my Monterey, it appears to be sorting by "Device Name" and as you can see from this screenshot, that name can't be edited, but it *CAN* be edited at the time of installation.

The second screen shot is my Dymo, which I removed the "Dymo" from at the beginning to send it further down the line, it's the only way it worked for me.

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 9.21.41 am.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 9.23.42 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this problem with Acrobat.  This expensive subscription app always wants to print to a small Epson Photo Printer unless I remember to change the printer EVERY TIME I want to print a document. It is very annoying and I am also tired of this nonsense.  Adobe, you are a software company.  You charge plenty for your products.  Really, this nuisance bug you can't just fix?  How many software developers/coders do you have?  Come on, fix the damn thing!  And stop with the useless "check this" links that do not work.  We are not stupid or unfamiliar with Acrobat or macOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, we pay each and every month for these things to work, I also have problems in Photoshop that take me back to the old days before Creative Suite. Always some annoying bug or failure to update code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to chime in and say as of 18 Feb we still don't have a resolution for this. Acrobat (and only Acrobat) is continuing to ignore the macOS default printer setting (Monterey 12.2.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that. This issue is already reported to our engineering team and they are working on it to find the fix. We will share the update as soon as we will hear anything form them.

Thanks for  your time and patience.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Amal for your reactuon. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I am retired but have 4 different printers because I travel to see family and sometimes need to use their printer for printing out tickets or other bits of flotsom. I am on a macbook pro with Monteray. Whenever I print, my default is my HP which works everytime.  But my daughter's Brother HL is first in the list so Adobe chooses this instead of my system's default HP. Really annoying that this can't be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too wish that Adobe would fix this problem. After all, they broke it. 🙂 But this is such a “first-world” problem. If I have to manually switch to the right printer, I can live with that.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Please address and fix this! 100% repeatable on every Mac in my office. 

Current machine is running Mac OS 12.2.1 and latest release of Acrobat DC. Adobe is not recognizing the systems default printer and prints docs to my label printer if I'm not paying attention. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem as eveyone else. Running Montey 12.2.1 on a macbook pro. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@amal,

What is this most recent update? This issue has been going on far to long! My entire company uses Macs, and this has been a huge productivity killer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also have this issue: Acrobat chooses "Epson" (photo printer, rarely use) instead of my Mac default "HP" laser printer. Very annoying. Will delete the Epson and reimport/rename, but this was reported last November so really should be fixed by now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to know how many dollars worth of labels etc and total hours have been wasted worldwide because of this ridiculous issue. Seriously, how hard is it to stop Acrobat overriding the system defaults? This should be a 5 min fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines