I am using (or TRYING to use!) Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.
But every time it loads up I receive the following pop-up message:
"A serious error has been detected and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot continue. Please re-install the application and try again."
I click OK, and then another message appears:
"Acrobat.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x05bf1243" referenced memory at "0x12284e88". The memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to terminate the program"
I have tried uninstalling and re-installing but the error comes back!
What can I do?? Can ANYONE help?!!
I am new to the conversation. I just upgraded from Acrobat 8 to 8.1, and now I have the same problem: Five seconds into the program a message comes up: "A serious error has been detected and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot continue. Please reinstall the application and try again." After I click OK a second message comes up: "The instruction "0x04321243" referenced memory at "0x12284e88". The memory could not be written. Click OK to terminate the program."
Adobe has received your inquiry Phil, no worries on that. Try the following to help Adobe track this issue, which we can't seem to reproduce in-house.
1. Double-Click the Acrobat Icon while holding the SHIFT key down. This will load Acrobat without plugins. If you do not crash then we know it is a plug-in causing the issue. I would suspect the Update Plugin. You can pull some plugins separately to isolate this more.
2. Have you been able to activate? There was a problem with Activation in 8 that may have been triggered here. You can try this too.
1. Find and back up the file
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet\adobe_00080000_tsf.data.
2. Delete the file from the location above, but not the back up. Reboot the cpu.
3. Launch Acrobat and see if it requires you to activate again.
4. If it does, activate Acrobat again.
5. report the results.
Lastly, the link mentioned above is not free technical support. It is merely a chance to send Adobe feedback, but not response or follow up is promised. In the future you should call Technical Support directly for help.
I hope the above steps either help or reveal more information.
I've got the same exact issue on one of my machines. Applied the 8.1 update last week and today when I opened a PDF, *bam* got hit with the error and 7 seconds after Acrobat starts up it crashes. Tried the disable plugins thing, but that definitely didn't work. Seems like there's quite a few users out there with this issue, so Adobe will have to do something to resolve it.
I'm running Acrobat 8.1 Pro on Windows Vista Ultimate, UAC is enabled, I am the system admin, it's a dual-core Pentium-D with 2GB of RAM--if any of that helps.
Keep the posts coming as you find out stuff everyone!