Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SERIOUS ADOBE ACROBAT PROFESSIONAL 8 ERROR

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2007 Jun 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using (or TRYING to use!) Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.
But every time it loads up I receive the following pop-up message:

"A serious error has been detected and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot continue. Please re-install the application and try again."

I click OK, and then another message appears:
"Acrobat.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x05bf1243" referenced memory at "0x12284e88". The memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to terminate the program"

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing but the error comes back!
What can I do?? Can ANYONE help?!!
TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 398 Replies 398
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2008 Mar 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, what a great find regarding that licensing patch. That sounds exactly like what I need, except that Acrobat / Distiller 8 is running on Windows 2003 Server on my machines. Does Adobe provide this for W2K3 Server too? I work for a large company, so I would need an official patch from them meant for W2K3 Server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2008 Mar 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same error and have been conversation with the Adobe support team since January 28:th, 2008, without solving the problems with Acrobat 8 Professional freezing after installation yet.

Tomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2008 Mar 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phil and Thomas:

I had this same problem last year (with Vista Ultimate and Crobat Standard 8 and 8.1), and no amount of re-installing fixes it. The problem arose (for me) after a Vista update, and persisted for several months. I was finally put in touch with Chris Chang (Adobe Engineer and very nice guy), who fixed it. My recollection is that it had something to do with the new way Vista was handling "virtualization" (I don't even know what that means). In any case, my installation was fixed by direct intervention and, again, if memory serves, there was a patch posted on adobe's site that seemed to fix all of the Vista problems. If you have not seen the patch, it should be available on Adobe's site.

In several months of research (reading on the internet, installing and reinstalling, blocking services, uninstalling Vista updates, fiddling with the registry, etc.), I decided that the problem was with the [macrovision or macromedia] flexnet licensing service which, as I understand it, tries to phone home every time the software is started. On my computer (even now), if I block that service, delete the hidden files, or end the process, Acrobat gives the same error you are experiencing, so it may be that the virtualization had something to do with Flexnet. I am not sure that this advances the discussion any, but if you are more technical than me, maybe you can do something with it.

Also, I recently had a new motherboard and memory put in the same machine, causing Vista to have a seizure and necessitating a complete reinstall of the OS and everything else with a new Windows product key (no, I am not a pirate, a hacker, a cracker, or any such--it was provided by the manufacturer, who deserves a raspberry for hiring such idiotic technicians as the one who failed to warn me that my OS would die then, worse, failed to tell me it had died, leaving me to discover it for myself after he left my office. DELL). Though I was tensed to see the error recur when I reinstalled Acrobat, it did not (even with all of the Vista updates). So, sadly, a complete reinstall (not update or repair... those did not work for me) of your OS may fix the problem if the patch does not.

Best regards,

Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2008 Mar 25, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, I get the message:

---------------------------
sw: Acrobat.exe - Programfel
Instruktionen på "0x04791243" refererade till minnet på "0x03da593c". Det gick inte att utföra en minnesåtgärd. Följande fel returnerades: The memory could not be "written".

Klicka på OK om du vill avsluta programmet.
OK

and I don't see any fix above that can help. I run XP, use a valid copy of Acrobat 8.0 that I paid a lot of money for but after upgrade to 8.0.1 (or whatever it said), the program is unusable.

/SvRu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2008 Mar 26, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone successfully patched a W2K3 terminal server to solve this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone successfully patched a W2K3sp2 Terminal Server using the Vista patch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be a negative for me - I have not gotten this to work on my terminal server for nearly 8 months now.

I gave up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2008 Apr 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I am Using abode Acrobat 8.1.0 Professional in Desktop Computer with Windows Xp Pro and on Vista Starters Edition in my Acer Laptop.Previously I was using Adobe Acrobat 7.0 in both of the comps but some features were missing in vista that we use to get for converting word documents to pdf.It installed properly on my xp pc and also on vista.But after some time in vista the windows explorer was shutting down as i clicked on my computer and other networks so i used system restore.The problem got solved and the previous Adobe Acrobat 7.0 got installed and asked installation cd so i canceled it and uninstalled it.Then as I again attempted to reinstall Acrobat 8.1.0 after entering serial no.after few steps then after selecting the location and next steps the windows installer gives the message program has stopped responding.Can any one give any solution to fix this problem without installing vista again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2008 Apr 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had installed and activated Acrobat 8 standard edition in Desktop computer with Windows 2000 SP4. Some days ago I replaced that computer with a new one without deactivating Acrobat. It's HD has been already formatted and I can't go back to deactivate.
I tried to install and use again Acrobat in my new computer, with a similar configuration but it does not allow to activate itself. \
Has anyone any idea to solve my problem? Thank you in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2008 Apr 12, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my name is francisco chávez and i have the same problem, but now i can solve it ;).

I have installed adobe creative suite cs3 with acrobat 8, when i install de acrobat 8.1.2 update from de adobe site the error:
"A serious error has been detected and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot continue. Please reinstall the application and try again." is present.

For sove this problem please follow this step:

1) If you have CS3, please uninstall the Acrobat product, then restart your machine.

2) Download and install a program for clean your windows Registry at this URL http://rapidshare.com/files/106377686/RRW08.zip

PD: i use before registry mechanic, registryclean, cclean,etc without Success, for this motive use ONLY the software indicated (Registry Repair Wizard 2008).

3) When you have the software indicated installed in your PC, runit and select "Scan & Clean"->"Check Registry" with the option "File /Path reference" ENABLED. Then press "Check for Problems".

4) After the scan process, press "Fix Selected Problems" for remove all the bug in your registry, then restart your PC.

5) Star the program again and now select the "Defrag Registry"->"Analyse Registry" option, wait for long time and now press "Compact/Defrag registry". Restart your PC.

6) Now you are able to go to "add and remove programs" in "control panel" of your windows, and ADD the "uninstalled" Acrobat. Wait for a long time (about a 1hr).

7) Your acrobat is now OK, but for finalize the process go to the configuration of updates and Deactivate auto-updates, and NOT Install 8.1.2 update.

Enjoy, this fix is worked for me, i hope this TIPs work for you too.

sorry my poor english

Francisco Chávez
Ingeniería Civil en Obras Civiles
USACH

Santiago de Chile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2008 Apr 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

francisco
thank you very much for your reply and your help.
I'll follow your instructions as soon as possible.

Dimitris Spyrou
Piraeus Port
Greece

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2008 Apr 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.1.2 on Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
When I print to PDF from QuarkXpress 7.2 it says: AdobePDF 7.0 Printer Description File is not currently installed. A Generic PPD will be used instead.

Using PPD setting prints totally distorted images and weirdd colors

Please help, I need to make PDF for job that has to go to press urgently.

Tosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2008 Apr 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my post is for the original problem titled:

"A serious error has been detected and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot continue. Please re-install the application and try again."

I click OK, and then another message appears:
"Acrobat.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x05bf1243" referenced memory at "0x12284e88". The memory could not be "written".

posted for Phil Stewart - 02:07am Jun 10, 2007 Pacific, sorry but for the other problem i dont know the step for solving.

If you have this problem please read my post
asrhael - 11:31am Apr 12, 08 PST (#321 of 323)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2008 Apr 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had a problem with Adobe Acrobat 8 crashing within a few seconds after launch. I have solved my problem.

1. Launch Adobe Arobat 8

2. Wait for it to crash -- about 2 - 5 seconds.

3. Go to Control Panels - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer - Application

4. There you will find a log of actions and errors.

5. Look at the latest error in the log which should be the one for why the system or application crashed.

6. Open the error report

7. There will be a message like this: Faulting application acrobat.exe, version 8.1.0.137, faulting module msvcr70.dll, version 7.0.9466.0, fault address 0x000013d6.

8. Launch Windows Explorer and do a search on "msvcr70.dll". Be sure to wait until the search totally finishes to make sure you find all the copies.

9. Make a note of the location and version number of each instance of "msvcr70.dll"

10. Now, this next part gets tricky because I don't know what software you have loaded onto your computer. Some software just makes a reference to "msvcr70.dll" and some software actually includes a copy of "msvcr70.dll" in the same folder as the application's executable (.exe) file.

11. In my case, I had two copies of "msvcr70.dll" and they had different version numbers.

12. I located two copies of "msvcr70.dll" One copy was in the C:\Windows\System32 folder and it was version 7.0.9466.0. The other copy of "msvcr70.dll" was in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 10\ VS Runtime and it was version 7.0.9064.0.

13. Because the "7.0.9466.0" version was the offending copy of msvcr70.dll (see Event Viewer message), I went to the C:\Windows\System32 folder and renamed msvcr70.dll to msvcr70x.dll.

14. I restarted Adobe Acrobat and it worked fine.

More Information: Now, the Earthlink Task Panel does not work and it complains that it cannot find the entry point for msvcr70.dll. The Earthlink Task Panel needs version 7.0.9466.0 of the msvcr70.dll.

THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT VERSIONS OF "MSVCR70.DLL" AND THEY ARE NOT ALWAYS INTERCHANGABLE AND THEY ARE NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE.

I am actually not all that computer literate so this next part is stuff I suspect as opposed to what I know. When applications, such as Acrobat and Earthlink Task Panel, are written, the software writer puts in search paths to find all the required "dll's". What apparently is happening in Adobe Acrobat's case is that they look in the System 32 folder before they look in other places. That is why Acrobat is picking up the wrong version of the dll. It is bacause I disabled the dll in the System 32 folder that Acrobat is looking at other places to find the dll and I VERY FORTUNATELY just happened to have the proper version of the msvcr.dll file in another place where Acrobat also looked.

Also recall, Windows applications, such as Acrobat, cannot tell the difference between different versions of the msvcr.dll. If the file name is found, the application, such as Acrobat, just uses the dll. If it is an incompatible version, then you lose and your application crashes.

This is how I solved my problem. I think the proceedure is sound but you may have more copies and more versions of the msvcr70.dll. Also, arbitrarily disabling these dll's can affect other applications. It looks like there would be a standard way to handle these dll problems so that different versions will not cause problems but apparently there isn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2008 Apr 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, I had the same issue with a brand new install of Vista Ultimate and CS3 Master Collection. Acrobat would not launch, and I kept getting "A serious error has occurred...". I tried installing the licensing service patch, no go. I called Adobe Tech support, and after quite a lengthy process, THIS WORKED:

1) Manually download licensing patch from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3750

Also manually download all Acrobat updates (8.1, 8.11, 8.12) from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform=Windows

You will need these patches for future steps.

2) Run msconfig from the start menu; hit Selective Startup and uncheck Load Startup Items. Click Services Tab, hit Hide All Microsoft Services at the bottom of the box; then hit Disable All button. Reboot in Admin Account.

--All steps below must be performed IN EXACT ORDER or this will not work!!--

3) Uninstall Acrobat through Control Panel

4) Reinstall Acrobat through Control Panel, but DO NOT RUN Acrobat!

5) Immediately apply 8.1 patch

6) run the licensing patch, as described on the licensing page

7) Apply the 8.11 patch, then the 8.1.2 patch

Reboot, and then you should be able run Acrobat normally. You can re-enable startup items from step 2 through msconfig again (Hit Normal Startup), and you should be good to go.

HTH,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2008 Apr 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE ACROBAT PRO 8.0 install error, system crash:

Hi,

I recently tried to install Acrobat Pro 8.0 on my machine (Windows XP Pro, x64), and now the system crashes on every reboot. The major problem I ran into was that, during the install, I received a "warning" message to stop the install because "the 'printers' had not passed the Windows *something* testing (I don't recall exactly right now), which may at some point adversely affect your system." Upon receiving this urgent message, I stopped the install, but when I tried to uninstall/remove the program from the system, the only option was to complete the installation. At the end of the installation it asks for something on the Windows Vista installation disk, which I don't have (because it's not the OS I'm running). Now, the system crashes (blue screen) just a few seconds after rebooting, every time.

Is there any way to force the uninstall, or is there any way to repair the application for XP Pro x64? I'd really like to fix this without a full system restore/rebuild.

Thanks for any help on this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2008 Apr 24, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to THANK the person that posted this link:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3750

Even though I am running Windows XP that fixed my problem. Ever since I bought Acrobat 8 I could not use it. I had to resort to pirating version 7. If I download the latest 8.1.3 update it would not make any difference. But the licensing patch fixed my issue. Acrobat loaded right up and finally showed the activation screen and I was able to connect online and activate.

ADOBE YOU NEED TO

1) FIX YOUR KNOWLEGEBASE. I SEARCHED AND SEARCHED AND EVEN WENT THROUGH THE TROUBLESHOOTING DOC. THEY ARE ***WORTHLESS*** (simple because it could not fix my issue and because your site said it was a Vista patch and described the issue wrong... in my case the Acrobat app always crash within 10 sec and just stay hung. So fix that description and fix it to say its for XP too!!!

2) INCLUDE THAT PATCH WITH THE UPDATE!!!! Why didn't you??

I totally understand there can be bugs in a program but to spend $420 on a piece of software and have a bug that makes it unusable and then your website even a year later (I see all these posts around mid-2007 about this issue!!!) and then have a hidden, mislabeled and illdescribed update to fix the issue is just not acceptable. It should have been included with every patch or upgrade for Acrobat 8.x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2008 Apr 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive the length of this post in advance. Hopefully it'll give some relief to fellow hair pulling XP users with this problem.

Purchased and installed CS3 Design Premium about April 1, 2008.

-purchased from newegg.com about $1600, can't remember as I'm removed from the payables side of things and the cost wasn't a big issue.
-single user/license.
-Gateway XPPro 2002 SP2
-P4 3.2Ghz
-149GB RAM

Updates were run (8.1) and I used the program before/after updates fine for a week or so. Used once or twice flawlessly then hadn't attempted to open it again until about April 28, 2008. I now am faced with "Acrobat 8.1 has caused a serious error... we're sorry for this inconvenience... would you like to report this to MS.....(send/don't send)..." If I attempt to open while holding shift, it will indeed open without plug-ins, but activate/deactivate buttons are grayed and as soon as the menu bar closes after checking that out, I get the famous "Adobe has caused a serious error...." I however seem to be getting a different windows application error message. mine is:

The instruction at "0x02911243" referenced memory at "0x03d2dc64". The memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program.

-once I've got instruction at "0x028a1243" and once I got "0x01881243", but always having "0x03d2dc64" as the second memory location value.

I've tried the link referenced by the previous post #328. I've started the activation service manually, removed the FLEXNet file per adobe KB articles. -can't get anywhere with this, problem has spilled over to InDesign and Distiller, which now will not open either. Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver, Illustrator seem to be fine. I had Reader 8.1 installed as well, it's operated normally throughout this.

Here's what I'm trying as I type this:
-I've uninstalled all of CS3
-rebooted
-uninstalled Reader 8.1
-removed contents from C:\program files\adobe\adobe 8.0\ (and any other within c:\program files\adobe\.. which pertained to CS3.
-removed C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FlexNet\
-Reinstalled CS 3
-reboot
-Attempt to open Acrobat: and get "Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot be launched at this time. You must launch at least one other suite component (such as Adobe Photoshop) before launching Acrobat 8 Professional."
-Open Photoshop CS3
-Activate (my serial # already there as I'd not cleared registry, etc)
-Activation Successful
-PhotoShop loads successfully, (check menu- Activate is gray, Deactivate is Black), close PhotoShop
-Open Acrobat (8.0 I'm assuming at this point, done no updates) it opens correctly and has been open now for a few minutes fine.
-checking the (activate/deactivate), they're both gray.
But hey, sometimes you must let sleeping dogs lie.

Hope this chain of events helps someone else.
At least now my hair can start to grow back.

--whoops!, just as I was wrapping this up my updater needed attention. apparently there are files already in the same location as acrobat is trying to update to 8.1.2 Professional. I clicked the "Replace" option rather than specify a new location. We'll see how it goes, 8.1.2 is a 370MB update and is measured in the hours.

Regards,

John Singleton
Database Manager/ Systems Analyst & Design

Kittanning, Pa
USA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2008 Apr 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize for the mis-information in the previous post.
Acrobat 8.1.2 update alone is not 370MB, but rather ALL of the updates my updater has grabbed for the respective components of CS3 I'd installed (currently everything except reader which is somewhat separate anyways.
All seems to be working perfectly as of now, but we'll see how things go after the update completes. No news is good news so if you don't hear from me, it worked.

John Singleton
Database Manager/ Systems Analyst & Design

Kittanning, Pa
USA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2008 May 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the error - The instruction at "0x02601243" referenced memory at "0x03d2dc64". The memory could not be "written".

I have tried uninstalling and installing the program as directed, but no luck. I have installed the patch from above but i am still getting the same error. Can someone help me with this. I am just short of formatting my harddrive.

Thank you,

Anthony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2008 May 22, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just got this on an XP machine that has been running fine.
During the reinstall my ESET AV package has compalined about a couple of the Acrobat DLL files. Excluding these from scan has not made a difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2008 Jun 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Had same problem on XP sp2, on multiple machines, when trying to install Photoshop elements 6.

"A serious error has been detected and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot continue. Please reinstall the application and try again"

Some of the machines had adobe reader 7 and some reader 8 installed.
On the machines where no Adobe product the problem did not occur.

Installing the vista only patch the rebooting the PC before installing photoshop elements, solved the problem for me.
I know applying the patch before installing the product might seem weird, but it worked for me.

I have also not seen any adverse affect on other Adobe products when doing this. So would love to know what this patch actually does.

P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2008 Jun 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a user that feels comfortable messing around with their system. I have Windows XP Pro, SP2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I truly resent Adobe for leaving us users hanging. We all paid good money for this software, and yet *we* have to act like techs and do all this workaround crap? They need to make a patch that works, end of discussion. This thread started one year and one day from the date of the post I write now; they have had plenty of time to work this out. I don't need to be messing around with my system -- I'm not a tech. I paid *Adobe* to be the tech. We all deserve refunds. As of now, I'm looking for tangible ways to bring a lawsuit against Adobe for this inexplicable incompetence. My business is suffering because of it, and there is no excuse for their not fixing it. I invite others to join with me and start a class-action lawsuit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue only occurs with Acrobat standalone. It has to do with the FLEXnet Licensing service. I was here at the beginning of this problem probably almost a year ago now and have seen nearly everyone's issues resolved. One thing I can say that definitely works is to run Acrobat from one of the CS3 suites instead. I've never had a problem with the copy I got with Master Collection.

But all this is kindof a moot point now since Acrobat 9.0 has been released. Adobe will stop supporting 8.0 soon enough, so most of us should probably begin the migration path anyway. You could probably even get a discount on the new software. Either way, a lawsuit is not going to stand up in court and you're just going to end up losing more money than you could possibly win.

And may I say this too...if you or your company is *dependent* on a certain piece of software and is losing money or suffering because of it, you probably need to re-evaluate your policies. Unless you are using a very specialized piece of software for a very specific purpose (neither of which is Adobe Acrobat), then if one piece of software stops working, you should be able to pick up another. It's called good business practice. Try PDF995, CutePDF, Acrobat Online, or one of the other many Acrobat/PDF clones if not having Acrobat is *truly* hurting your business.

Good luck!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines