Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SERIOUS ADOBE ACROBAT PROFESSIONAL 8 ERROR

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2007 Jun 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using (or TRYING to use!) Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.
But every time it loads up I receive the following pop-up message:

"A serious error has been detected and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot continue. Please re-install the application and try again."

I click OK, and then another message appears:
"Acrobat.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x05bf1243" referenced memory at "0x12284e88". The memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to terminate the program"

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing but the error comes back!
What can I do?? Can ANYONE help?!!
TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 398 Replies 398
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2008 Jun 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, Matthew. I have the Web suite, not the standalone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matthew, before I forget to mention this: I have to say, I really do, that it doesn't matter what the reason is for my dependence on the software; what matters is it does not work. I do not need to be messing with my system, Adobe does. That is my point. I don't understand -- unless you work for Adobe -- why you tolerate their lack of willingness to put out a patch that works. It's obvious to me that regardless of the reason for my need for the software, the software does not work. Thanks for understanding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>why you tolerate their lack of willingness to put out a patch that works.

In my case it's simply that I understand that peoples systems are configured any which way and in some cases it's almost impossible to put out a one size fits all patch.

I can also understand why people that are not engineers would see it this way and be frustrated but, if you walk in their shoes for a while...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While your post alludes to a "one size doesn't fit all" solution, the same can be said about the audience of this posting. I happen to be an experienced programmer and still can't get this to work (they won't send me the source!) - I punted and opted to use a competitor product which does what I need it to do. This problem all stems from the license schema and the fact that the software needs to "phone home" to activate which is fine on an assumed direct connected network. But what about those isolated, disjoined networks? Adobe said yes it will work, but provided no bkm's (best known methods) on how to mediate this.

I have walked in their shoes for about 8 months now and the soles are worn out!

Have a nice day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2008 Jun 13, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe CS3 Web Premium and I have had the same issues that have been plaguing these other folks. I run XP SP2, not Vista. Now I personally do not know when Adobe Acrobat 8 came out, but I would have hoped by the time I read through these nearly 350 posts that Adobe would have fixed it by now. Very disappointing, I must say.

To the poster of #339: When you say that it is diffucult to find a 'one size fits all' solution, because of the the variables of everyone's configuration, I believe you would also have to assume that it is impossible to write code for >anyone's< computer based on that logic. So I have to say, that line of thinking sounds quite ridiculous, and is in my opinion a complete cop-out. Come on, do you really think it's that hard to write code that works? If it was, no one would have a program that worked on 'all these configurations', not ever. I feel for the Developers, as I've tried to write code for simple Web sites. But, well, Adobe developers are supposed to be more sophisticated and knowledgeable than the average guy, in my opinion. If any Adobe Developers are reading this, thanks for your hard work; don't wuss out.

And, for the poster of #336: are you telling me to not worry about these issues and just buy Acrobat 9? That is utterly ridiculous. Why buy a program that costs even MORE money out of my pocket, when I just bought a perfectly good program, nestled in a suite of products that I also paid very good money for? Are you aware of how much money these programs cost? Are you a Developer? You sure sound like one. Perhaps you're just the Director of Sales for Adobe! Haha. Really, you can't be serious. That is a ridiculous line of thinking. If I was a true skeptic, I wouldn't want to buy another 'new and improved' product [Acrobat 9] that doesn't work from the same company based on my current experience [with Acrobat 8.1]. I can't find one good reason to 'migrate', as you say, to Acrobat 9. Hey, Matthew Hamann, with your Adobe Shill/Developer discount, you can get ME one! Hilarious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I believe you would also have to assume that it is impossible to write code for >anyone's< computer based on that logic.

Not necessarily.

They can cover most of the bases but they can't cover everything. That's why a few people (yes, it seems like a lot but in the grand scheme of things, the people here are very few compared to the amount of users out there) have problems but the majority doesn't.

There's something different about your setup than what was tested with. Accept it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read this entire post...I've come up with some new ideas on how to solve the problems

You flatter me JJ. No, I am in no way affiliated with Adobe. Yes, I am a developer (and a very experienced one at that), but certainly not with Adobe. Sorry to disappoint :)

The poster in #339 makes a very valid point--one that I'll try to elaborate on. This, in some ways, goes back to the classic Mac vs Windows battle. Apple keeps all their hardware and software tied to their machines. There is a very limited set of configurations, drivers, and so on, so developers from outside companies have little to worry about when writing code. If it works on one somewhat modern Mac, it'll work on them all more than 99% of the time.

Windows-based PCs are a completely different story. Microsoft makes one OS that will run on any Intel-based hardware and as long as you can find a driver for all of your basic devices, you're set. But there are so many variables in a Windows install, so many modifications that could have been made by a 3rd-party app, so many different driver configurations--not to mention multiple versions of Windows (2000, XP, Vista, Servers, etc). From a developer's perspective, I can conceivably find hundreds of points where anything could go wrong. Yes, software has come a long way over the years but it is by no means infallible. It never will be! I'm not excusing Adobe for not getting this fixed--but at the same time there could be a very good reason for their inability to resolve this. They've already told us that they have had *zero* luck reproducing this in-house. If they can't do that...all they can do is guess what the problem might be and go from there. So that's why I said what I did and why I'm sticking to the opinion that you shouldn't be tied down to a software product like this. If you couldn't get it working in 30 days...ask for a refund! Of course, that is my opinion and you're entitled to your own. So take it or leave it.

Now, as I said I have not been able to reproduce this issue in quite some time. It's been months since I've had a problem, but I do have a new idea on how this might be resolved. My guess is that this has something to do with the Windows registry. That's where many issues lie. So, I need a couple willing people to test this solution out and see where we end up. Cool? Let's get started...

1. Uninstall Acrobat (or the ENTIRE CS3 package if you have that) using the uninstaller in Add/Remove Programs (or Programs and Features on Vista). Also remove Adobe Reader (all versions) just in case.

2. Run the Adobe CS3 cleanup script available here: http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html (this will get rid of all Adobe remnants on your machine.)

3. Download latest CCleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloading). Once installed, run the program, select "Registry" on the left-hand navigation. Then on the bottom-right pane, select "Scan for Issues." Once the scan is complete, leave everything selected and click "Fix Selected Issues." The program will ask you to save a backup of changes, which you may do. Then click "Fix all issues" on the window that appears and follow the on-screen instructions till the fix is complete.

4. Close the application and reboot your computer.

5. Insert your Acrobat/CS3 media and re-run the install.

6. Reboot when asked and then try running Acrobat again. If all goes well, run the Adobe Updater and install all updates.

Alright, so that's my idea. Registry cleaners many times get a bad rap, but this one has always worked well for me and I've never experienced any problems with it. Even if it doesn't fix your Acrobat issue, I guarantee it will probably enhance your machine's performance so it's worth it either way. Report back with your findings and we'll go from there!

Thanks ya'll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now why would someone take out the registry machete' and start swinging it blindly? Does the cliche' pokin' and hopin' apply here?

Adobe has worked with some folks offline and that is how the Vista "fix" was developed but there seems to be some other issues remaining. And that is the disappointment here - the only people posting lately are not from Adobe but willing users offering shotgun advice.

Call me old school (and I am, but just don't call me that), but dump/log files usually give hints of what is happening and why and if Adobe cares to give clues on how to turn on some of the debug logging perhaps there is a common denominator discovered and this post will end.

Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I've used plenty of registry cleaners that have produced horrible and disastrous results. As I noted in my last post, I'm a seasoned developer, I have years of computing experience under my belt, and I repair and tweak machines all the time. I know more about computers than most IT administrators. I don't say that to blow my own horn, just trying to establish some credibility here. I've used computers since I was 4 and programmed since I was 7, so believe me when I say I know what I'm doing.

CCleaner is the *only* registry cleaner to date that I've found to be solid, robust, and to actually fix system issues. I've seen sluggish XP and Vista machines act like brand-new PCs after running this tool. It really does work wonders. I've used it many, many times on many, many machines and never had one that was worse off because of it. I've also used some other registry tools and had horrible results, so I'm not recommending using just any tool. At this point CCleaner is the only one that has worked well.

Besides, I was only recommending it to those users with problems. At this point I'd expect them to be willing to try just about anything to resolve their issues. I think drastic measures are needed. If they don't want to try it, that's their problem. But this *could* be a viable solution and we won't know till someone takes a minor risk and tries it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not questioning your credentials, although I must admit my first thought was you were part of the CCleaner development team (am I close?) and was using this avenue to pursue leads (aside) - the point is, your not Adobe and my disappointment comes from their lack of support not yours.

Unfortunately, my issue is on a production terminal server with Adobe Acrobat (and yes, the software is a volume licensed edition) and to further complicate matters, it's on a disconnected network.

Like yourself, I have been doing this work for a long time (@30 years) but suspect I am slightly older - replacing keyboards is so much easier than teletypes! I have run the gambit of "modern" OS's (UNIX, Linux, Windows, VMS, DOS, CPM, OS2 etc) and have compiled many times (not without errors of course :-)) but I wouldn't expect anyone on this post to "try" my solutions. I would expect a developer from Adobe to resolve my issue or else give me the source code. (I know a stretch, huh)

All smiles, no hard feelings Matthew!

Signed, waiting on Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, Graf. Hahaha. You and I both know these problems have nothing to do with my build, or anyone else's build who has posted within these nearly 350 posts. If you feel the need to get defensive and defend your post, more power to you.

Unfortunately for your logic, my setup is quite common; Adobe's error is not because of >my< setup; it's their interface with FlexNet. I believe that's been established, Graf. Adobe needs to get with the Acresso/Macrovision folks, you and everyone else here who has read these posts know that. Unless...well, I wouldn't want to assume, but perhaps you haven't read through the posts. It's a FlexNet issue. And thanks for the response. Could really use some helpful advice from you, though. If you have any helpful advice, please post that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I know your frustration. Unfortunately for us here in this thread and the hundreds of others (if not thousands of others), we are all experiencing a lack of support from Adobe. I'm quite shocked; I expect this type of behaviour from Microsoft, or another large corporation who just does not care because they know you have no other option. Unfortunately, since Adobe has bought out their competitor (Macromedia)...perhaps they now have that mentality. Acresso/Macrovision [the makers of FlexNetLicensingService.exe] and Adobe apparently have no motivation to get together and fix this either. I would hate for this to happen again and again, over and over again in the future. Perhaps the Acresso/Macrovision folks are more receptive. I'll be contacting their support team. If you happen to contact them yourself, please let us all know here in this thread how it turns out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I definitely understand where you're coming from and I totally agree that it should be "us techies" or more precisely "Adobe techs" trying the risky stuff and doing the debugging...and as you've seen they've put some effort into this, though probably not as much as many of us would like. As it was said a few posts back...there probably aren't *that* many people having this issue. Just seems like more than there really are since we are the outspoken ones 😉 No hard feelings at all John. Guess I'm just one of those people who are plagued by their passion when it comes to all this stuff 🙂 Ah well. And I'm sorry to disappoint yet again, but I have nothing to do with the CCleaner project either. I'm honestly and truthfully just a very happy "customer" (since their product is free) with that particular utility. If I found a better one tomorrow, I'd switch in a heartbeat! Thanks for your valuable input John. I'd heard that the VLX copies of Acrobat also had the crashing issue. As I noted previously, most (though apparently not all) of those running copies of Acrobat as part of one of the CS3 packages have few or no known problems. The licensing does work differently in those for some reason.

As for you JJ - we all agree that this is Adobe's problem. Maybe they just need to drop Macrovision and build their own custom solution or find another DRM provider or something. I don't know. But I guarantee you that this is probably the largest thread on their forums and if they aren't paying attention to us now, chances are they won't. If that makes you mad, then boycott the company. Otherwise, as graffiti said--accept it.

But aside from that, I really would love for you to try out my idea! Turn on system restore and go at it. If it doesn't work, your out an hour or two. If it crashes your system, you can use System Restore to fix it. And who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and it will work. We're not going to know unless a few people try it. Just think of it as almost something of a beta test. Now, I might be a bit wary of doing it on a terminal server like Win 2003, esp. if it's mission critical. But on XP SP2--I'd say you're pretty safe. Hey, maybe you could even try upgrading to SP3. That's an even longer shot, but if there's some weird system library getting in the way, it could resolve a conflict. I've seen far weirder things, trust me. Doubt that one would work, but I'm a fan of far out ideas. Sue me. ;-)

Good luck guys! I know how annoying this is--I really do...but I think there is hope out there somewhere. Just have to find it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2008 Jun 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you right-click on the .exe found in Program Files and click Run as Admin, you can get through setup and run Acrobat just fine from anywhere. This worked on both my Vista Ultimate and XP Pro machine. No more problems and no more error messages.

Adobe Acrobat Pro 8

-Just a Girl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2008 Jun 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my system crashed.

know i m trying to install 8.0 standard register to single user.

but it is not activating the software.

i have tried toll free no. and i have tried by emails but no response
since last two month.

kindly help me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you tried the phone number what happened? This is what you need
to do.

Aandi Inston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it for me, thx

The Small Business Loans Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2008 Jun 20, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Guys ... Had the Same problem with Adobe Acrobat 8.1 while trying to install on Windows Vista ... Spent around 4 Hours
and a couple of coffees later
this solution worked for me ...( I am kinda Novice so Experts Sorry if you find anything lame ! )

'You don't need to Uninstall other CS3 Packages from Adobe ! ! ! '
Ok here is the Deal .. It may or may not work for everyone :

1st Step : Download :
1. CCleaner from : www.ccleaner.com
2. Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290301
3. A Fix for Adobe Reader 8.0 ( Fixes Displaying EULA License so
that you can accept it .. )
I have no Idea why this worked but just download it and Fix it .
Download here http://www.xelite.co.uk/adobefix.zip ( Experts
Comment if you think this Fix is not needed )

2nd Step : 1st Run 'Windows Installer CleanUp Utility' and Clean
'Adobe Acrobat 8.x' and to be on a safer side also
'Adobe Reader 8.x'
2nd Run CCleaner and Click on 'Issues' Backup Registry
and Fix all Issues
3rd Run the AdobeFix ( Downloaded from the above link ) <<< Skip the step if anyone thinks its useless
but won't cause any harm if you Fix it .

3rd Step : Run the Adobe Acrobat 8.x Setup .
When it will ask for the key ,
select the Trail Option ( 30 days or whatever ) then
Select the 1st option i.e ( I guess ) Minimal install ,
I mean leave the 'Complete Install' and 'Custom Install' blank .
( By doing this Support for other country Languages won't get installed )

Well now Acrobat should get installed , if it asks you to 'Buy' the product just punch in the Key
and activate it online/by telephone ..whatever.. ( Under the Help tag you can activate
or deactivate you adobe acrobat ) .

Thankx
All the best !
Reply if it worked ...

----------------------------------------------------
I don't please the novice while I tease the Expert .
No Offense ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2008 Jun 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since i have installed the last Adobe Acrobat 8 pro patch (Spanish version), when i run adobe acrobat from a web page or for myself, it says that adobe has encounter a problem and must close, this is happend since las patch as i say, any solution please? I can´t work.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working on a Word document this morning and went to save it as a PDF document, but for some reason that option has disappared from the Save As selection. It was there this morning, now it's gone. I tried converting the Word file from Acrobat Professional and this message appears ...PDF conversion processed failed...Missing PDF Maker files. Do you want to run the installer in repair mode?. Does anyone have any idea why I'm encountering this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a different problem than what others in this thread are having. I'd say try the Acrobat repair/reinstall and see if that solves anything--then report back with what you find :)

On a side note, Microsoft has a "Save as PDF or XPS" addin for Office products that you might consider installing. While this doesn't directly address your issue, it's still nice to have on hand just in case. See: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2008 Jul 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very scary that there have been no postings since 13th June!

I have the same error problem with this Adobe 8.1 version, not when I installed, but after I downloaded the upgrade. There seems to be no solution. Not sure of the point of asking the forum, as there appears to be no answer, except to register another person experiencing same problem. Is this the end of the road for Adobe? What alternatives are there to Adobe for pdf?

Or... being optimistic ... has a solution been found since 13th June?? If so, please let me know what to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the last post was June 23, so not quite as long as you were imagining :)

Please reference post #353 (http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?addBookmark@@.3bc421a1/365) and follow the steps there. Post back with your results.

Post #343 might assist you as well. (http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?addBookmark@@.3bc421a1/354)

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded trial version 9 and it seems to have fix all the problems. Of course, that would mean we have to buy the upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2008 Jul 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phil,

Do you know if your Windows network is using Folder Redirection?

-Tom Ciecka

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines