Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SERIOUS ADOBE ACROBAT PROFESSIONAL 8 ERROR

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2007 Jun 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using (or TRYING to use!) Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.
But every time it loads up I receive the following pop-up message:

"A serious error has been detected and Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot continue. Please re-install the application and try again."

I click OK, and then another message appears:
"Acrobat.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x05bf1243" referenced memory at "0x12284e88". The memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to terminate the program"

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing but the error comes back!
What can I do?? Can ANYONE help?!!
TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 398 Replies 398
Engaged ,
Jul 02, 2007 Jul 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, Adobe recommends that you not install both Acrobat (either Pro or Standard) and Acrobat Reader on the same system. They seem to interfere with each other and cause problems such as the one you encountered.

Ken Friedman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folks,

Thank you to the one or two individuals that tried the steps I mentioned and reported back.

It is an activation issue. I know this because the error message you are seeing (the one mentioned in the title of this thread) is the only error that our Activation piece will throw up when it encounters a fault. Just an aside for those familiar with the "Acrobat closes after 10 seconds" forum thread, that is the one case where Activation can't even seem to throw up the error. The only way I can reproduce that issue is with pirated software (shame on those that use it).

I need to do more investigation. If people can help by posting some information on the systems, the channel in which they purchased Acrobat (part of CS? from adobe.com? from a re-seller?), before the issue occurred were you successful in activating the software, any other items that might be affecting the FNPLicensingService.exe from connecting and completing the activation process (Like zone alarm or something blocking it?). Having more of this data would help. Right now I've got a method of "I installed and it then get an error" which I can't reproduce.

Thanks
Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Nick Ardwark:
Nick your posts have been really helpful. I would like to work with you off line on this issue if I may. I'm posting my email address for you to contact me at.

Disclaimer: I will only reply to Nick so please do not abuse that I've posted my email address. If you have helpful items to inform Adobe and others about please simply post to the forum. Thank you.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff - I have Adobe 8.0 installed on two brand new machines. Both are running Vista Home Premuim (Hence the reason I purchased Adobe 8.0) One is a Gateway Tablet PC (3 months old). The other one is a Sony Vaio purchased in Feb from Costco. One version of Adobe was purchased directly from Adobe (it came without a serial # so I had to call in to get one from you.) The other version I purchased at Staples. I am having the exact same issues with it locking up freezing, error messages, and the like on both machines. We generally use Adobe Acrobat from 8 am till 5 PM every single day. I merge make notes and email .pdf files all day long. I have reformatted both machines, reinstalled the program multiple times again on each machine. The same issues keep coming back.

Please let me know if you would like more specific information about the machines erroe messages or anything else that may be helpful to track down the problems.

Thanks for your help!

Daren Johson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daren, Thanks for the post that is very helpful. - Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff - I followed the steps you outlined earlier in the post to duplicate the error. I duplicated it. I then removed Acrobat and reinstalled per your directions. I activated the software successfully. It is operating ok right now. (This is the same scenario I have done in the past - but the same issue comes right back in a day or so.) When the problems begin again I have noticed that the activations drop down is greyed out in both the activate as well as the deactivate portion. Right now it is as it should be with the deactivate black and the activate grey. I will post as soon as it begins its errors again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I have the same problem with the "serious error" on Vista Ultimate and Acrobat Pro 8. I am unsure if it is 8.0 or 8.1 as I cannot get to the menus with the greyed out screen.

I, as others, have spent a substantial sum of money for a program that seems to have stopped working. I need to get my work done and do not have days and days to mess about to attempt to fix this.

Here is my question to the Adobe staff: Can Adobe provide a solution, shall I ask for my money back; what does Adobe intend to do about this?

Not to be crabby here, but I can't open the file with InDesign, Acrobat pro 8, and cannot comment or make changes with Acrobat Reader, and this is an untenable situation.

Please, Adobe, provide some assistance here.

SE White

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2007 Jul 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have been using Adobe 6 pro on Windows XP. It worked great. Upgraded to 8 Pro and everything is scanned to legal size. The paper size option is gray under all circumstances. Anyone got any ideas?

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2007 Jul 04, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

You're the lucky one. Most of us are having a problem keeping Acrobat Pro 8.1 open since it was updated from Acrobat Pro 8.0.

Unfortunately I did not use Pro 8.0 (before the update) long enough to help.

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2007 Jul 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, let me say that I am not an experienced computer person, so have been very confused by much of the content here. I work for a small non profit and we don't have any tech support. When we buy an application, we hope to follow simple instructions and have it work. This error is really frustrating and I feel at a complete loss as to how to make it work right.
If it helps, I bought Adobe 8 Pro from TechSoup (www.techsoup.com)and downloaded it and 8.1 from the adobe website. I have Vista Home Premium on a very new Gateway convertible notebook. I'm using McAfee anti-virus. I have installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled and it still doesn't work.
I am more than happy to provide any other information that you may need that would help you find an answer. Josie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff - I have an update for you. When I left you at my last post I had reinstalled Abode after removing per your instructions. It activated correctly and I experienced no problems. I had not turned off Acrobat nor my computer since the 2nd of July. The activate portion of the program still had the activate greyed out and the deactivate black. I verified this before I turned my laptop off last night. Upon turning it on this morning all of the activate section is now greyed out. I will begin using Adobe in a few minutes but suspect I will run into the same issues I have been experiencing over and over for the past month. I think you were correct previously when you said the problem has something to do with the activation process. It just doesn't make sense to me that after going through all the proper steps to install, activate and register the software - the software thinks somehow it is not a valid copy of Acrobat. Is there any way that we can get this portion of the software deactivated until you come up with a solution that doesn't stop us (long time loyal Adobe customers) cold in our tracks? I am all for people paying their fair share and keeping piracy to a minimum but when the software keeps legal copies from working properly there seems to be a problem there. I would love to provide you any information that may be helpful to get this solved, but I am really beginning to run out of time playing around all day long removing and reinstalling Acrobat. I really just need to get my work done. Do you have any suggestions on how we move forward? Alternatively - do you have any suggestions on any other programs that may be available that are similiar to Acrobat? Thanks for any answers you may come up with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all. I could not wait any longer as I have work piling up as I wait for a solution. As a small business owner I usually figure out my own work arounds. If I don't get my work done I don't get paid! I purchased 2 new programs today that do all of the things I need Acrobat to do. One program allows me to scan documents in - EASILY! The other program allows me to manipulate the .pdf documents - EASILY! I have been doing this in Acrobat for years. Unfortunately now am unable to use Acrobat as it continues to fail no matter what I do. I hope you find a soltion to your problems too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Daren:

Can you tell us which programs you got to replace Acrobat Pro 8? It seems that Adobe has no way of dealing with or fixing this problem.
Thanks,
SE White

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2007 Jul 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sue -

I am using PDF Converter Professional (Nuance) - for manipulating and using ink on pdf forms ($99.00). I am also using Cute PDF($49.00) to scan from a scanner into a pdf. These are working MUCH better than Acrobat. I have not had any problems yet. At least I can now get my work done again! Good Luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 06, 2007 Jul 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

join the club.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2007 Jul 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been able to get the program to work. Here's what I did:
1. Uninstalled Acrobat 8x pro.
2. Uninstalled Acrobat Reader 8x.
3. Rebooted
4. Reinstalled Acrobat 8.0 pro.
5. Clicked on "Help," "Check for Updates," "Preferences," unchecked Acrobat as an application to update, and clicked radio button to Ask me before downloading . . . "

I've understood that it is 8.1 that has caused the problem, so I intend to refuse to download this update.

We'll see; hope this works for others.
Wonder if Adobe will ever address this problem? To say that they are irresponsible about this is an understatement. Well, now to get my work done.
Sue Ellen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2007 Jul 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Do you still need suplementatal info on actual steps done in loading. Your previous post suggested that the trail here provided insufficient info with only "loaded Acrobat Prof 8". I Can share with you on a line by line basis how I too have this problem - in fact, 2x as I was able to replicate it on a clean install too. If it will help you replicate/source the probelm, then I am certainly willing to make the effort here.

My issue came up when loading the upgrade to Acrobat Prof 8 which I ordered on line direct from Adobe (Order # 000337180NL).

Let us know if we can help.
Best regards
Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a crock...

Acrobat.EXE is altering local permissions such that 'Administrators' has Full Control and Everyone has Read/Write access. Problem is, the EXE requests (amongst others) WriteDAC access.

Why is an application messing with my permissions anyway? *I* decide who has local rights, not Adobe!

And, no, applying SP1 makes NO difference. Your only recourse is to add the user to Administrators, something which corporate audit teams absolutely *LOVE*...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a solution to the Acrobat 8 problem on Vista, but it only works on single computers. You have to right click on the shortcut of every program in CS3. On each, open Properties, then Compatibility. Click the box next to Run this program in compatibility node for XP Service Pack 2. Next, click the box next to Run this program as administrator. Once you have done this with every CS3 program and reboot, the programs will work with PDFs. The problem is with Acrobat 8 Pro, not the Adobe Reader.

You are essentially telling these programs that you are running XP. This won't work unless you can be the administrator. Plus, OneCare will query you every time you open a program. At least it works.

Not sure if this is a Vista or an Adobe problem, or both, but it sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congratulations on your success Sue Ellen (entry #65). I've tried the exact same thing as you but unfortunately my Acrobat Pro 8.0 shuts down after uninstalling Pro 8.1 ... my computer must not have cleared everything to do with Pro 8.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone,
Through some work I have found one thing that can contribute to this posted issue, Windows Live Onecare. It is not the cause or solution for everyone, but several individuals have reported that removing (or finding a way to work around with it installed) has solved their problems.

Windows Live Onecare is a virus scan and spyware application. It appears to be blocking the FNPLicensingService.exe file, which as discussed is the Acrobat Activation file. Through testing I saw it cause hangs and delays with both Acrobat 8/8.1 and Photoshop CS3 on both Vista & XP.

Again, not the total solution, but I wanted to post for anyone who finds themselves with that application installed. Please troubleshoot on your own and try to remove it as a contributing variable.
Thanks
Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick:

I understood that you could not uninstall Acrobat 8.0. Perhaps a reboot and then try the add/remove programs in Control Panel (or whatever it is now called in Vista) would work to remove Acrobat

When I reinstalled, I may have shut off my DSL so Adobe could not sneak an update in upon install.

It's worth a try.

Sue Ellen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello People,

I think I've a solution for all of our problems.

I'm using Vista Ultimate,

Follow the steps, it solved my problem, you dont have to reinstall anything.

1. Check windows services for FNPLicensingService, try starting it manually
2. If it doesnt start, check the path, check carefully whether there is a - before the path like -"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe"
3. If this is the case, open regedit
4. Navigate to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services and the open the key FLEXnet Licensing Service, in the right pan remove the - from the start of the ImagePath
5. Now run acrobat or any other acrobat Software you've got.

Hope all works fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2007 Jul 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff - I know you said removing Windows Live Onecare won't be a cause/solution for everyone but where do we find it. I searched for it under add/remove programs and did a search for file onecare on my computer and did not find it.

Sue Ellen - my uninstall problem with Acrobat Pro 8.0 is not directly related to the problem. Before I realised there was a general Acrobat problem via this forum, I tried to restore my computer to a point prior to the upgrade and for some reason (probably user related), it has left a number of files on my computer.

I will follow your instructions to see if I have any success. Just for clarity, did you reinstall Adobe Reader at all? (It may be a few days before I get around to it ... need to run my business to pay the bills).

By the way, I am not sure if it is a related problem but everytime I uninstall and reinstall, I have to cycle my DSL modem ... I seem to have a really slow connection.

Karthikeyan - although I'm using XP, what do you mean by "try starting FNPLicensingService"? Do you mean run the .exe file?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2007 Jul 10, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nick:

I'd read somewhere, perhaps in this forum, that it is unadvisable to run Acrobat Reader and Acrobat Pro on the same computer. So, yes, I removed Acrobat Reader and did not reinstall it.

I am using Vista, btw, and running OneLive Care, but I do not think it caused the problem as before I got the Acrobat Pro update, things were working just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines