Setting up drop down list to populate with excel

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just installed Adobe DC Pro and slowly creating my first client form for my very small business. I am not a programmer or anything like it but hopefully with the community, YouTube and Google,  I will hopefully get to the end still smiling.

On my form I have a drop down list of vets in the local area and hoping to save clients time and reduce potential mistakes link each of the vets to excel which then populates on the form the address and telephone numbers. So is this possible for me to do and would I be able to set it up without being too complicated?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on what exactly you are trying to achieve and what exactly will you be able to catch up with if you have no prior experience Acrobat JavaScript. 

Hard coding a simple script to populate fields in your PDF when something  is selected from a dropdown menu may appear easy to some users.

However,  the part that will deal with importing or exporting text delimited data to and from your PDF file to a MS Excel file could get complicated.

If I were you I would hire a developer to guide you through the workflow that you're trying to implement.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As mentioned, this requires a script. If the list of items is long, or if it frequently changes, hard-coding the data into the script will not be ideal. In that case it's better to use an external data source (it will need to be a plain-text file, though, not an xls(x) file), which the script will read, parse and use the data from it to populate the other fields when a selection is made in the drop-down.

I've actually created such a (paid-for) tool already, if you're interested. You can find it here:

https://www.try67.com/tool/acrobat-populate-fields-from-dropdown

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines