Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smooth scrolling through pages

Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using Acrobat X. I have noticed that with some PDF documents I can smoothly scroll from one page to the next.  That is, as I scroll I see the last part of one page and the first part of the next page, but they are definitely separate pages.  In other PDF documents, however, I cannot do this.  Instead, I can only see one complete page on the screen at a time.  When I scroll it simply jumps to the entire next page all at once.  In most cases my preference is the smooth scrolling behavior.  I assume the different behavior lies in how the PDF file was created.  Could someone please tell me what causes this difference?  I actually have the source code for a custom PDF file creator and I want to make sure I create PDFs with the smooth scrolling behavior.

Thanks,

Ray

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

If the document is not locked from editing, do this in Acrobat X:

Ctrl D or File > Properties

Click on the Initial View tab  > and from the Page Layout drop-down menu,choose: Default or Single Page Continuous

Click OK, Close and Save the document to keep changes.

When you open the document, it should have the continuous scrolling you want.

You may want to  lock the document afterwards,if you do not want other Acrobat users tampering with the settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me! Thank you so very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you could open the PDF with Edge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I myself was facing the same problem with a PDF having large pages in Adobe Acrobat Reader and was trying to fix it using the solutions mentioned here. Finally, came up with the solution from a YouTube video. Menu > View > Page Display > Enable Scrolling. Hope it works for you as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the stuff I read on here either weren't working for me or was a 1 time fix.  What I found to work was going to Edit/Preferences/Accessibility and then on the Override Page Display - make sure the box is checked to Always Use Page Layout Style and choose in the dropdown Single Page Continuous.  Then click OK.  I always then exit out of PDF just to be safe and then go back in to see if it stuck.  And it did for me.  

kmpowell_0-1698087968819.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Acrobat does not allow smooth scrolling, I close the PDF and open
with Edge. Always works for me.

Ken Robinson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edge uses chromium/chrome's pdfium. It has a lot of bugs. Not that Acrobat has none...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes - you did it. Thank you so much - having read and tried all the other replies in this post. This one finally did it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines