My document is nearly complete (third time starting from scratch) but now I am stumped. A Text/Paragraph container exists and it displays in the reading order but there is no tag. I've tried using the Reading Order Assistant to no avail. I've also tried right-clicking in the reading order tree and selection 'Tag as Text/Paragraph.' Again, without success.
I know how to create new blank tags but how do I get the content into the tag if it doesn't appear in the tree?
The first think I would try is ... In the Content pane, drag the content out of the container and delete the then-empty container. Then, use the Reading Order tool to re-tag the troublesome content. Hopefully (and usually, in my experience) a new tag and container will be created.
Thank you a_C_student1. Your solution sounds perfect. I tried multiple times but nothing. It recreates the container but not the tag.
OK, so next thing would be to extract the troublesome page from the document. Try tagging the page on its own then adding it back into the document. If that doesn't work (it usually does work, in my experience) - desperate measures may be needed. I would create a blank PDF page, use the Move or Make Changes to Object tool to copy all of the content from the troublesome page to the new page, then tag the new page.
You definitely have some crud code in that file!
Just curious: what was the source program from which the PDF was made, what method was used to generate the PDF, and what is the PDF Producer listed in File / Properties / Description tab?
Another drastic technique we've used in the past is to clear the tag structure of the entire page, and re-tag it using the TURO/Reading Order tool panel.
A slightly less-drastic variation is rather than Clear Page Structure, select just the faulty element(s) in the Order tree, and choose Delete Selected Item Structure. And then re-tag with the Reading Order Tools.
I like a_C_student1's suggestion to extract the offending page and retag it. Try Acrobat's Autotag utility, especially if your copy of Acrobat DC Pro is up-to-date. That tool gets better with each new release of Acrobat.
I know this is from a while ago but I just ran into what I assume is the same problem and here's how I resolved it:
1. Create a new tag. Set it to paragraph.
2. Highlight the text that you want.
3. Right click the tag you just made and select "create tag from selection".
This created the content tag that was previosly missing.