Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text within PDF changes to squares when editing

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have a template PDF that we use daily, but once in a blue moon some of text within the document changes to blank squares. 

All the text is Century Gothic and embedded, but for some reason it seems to pick certain parts to change, although there does seem to be some consitency as when it happened today the Section 4 heading of the document was corrupted both on the contets page and at the start of section 4. Sometimes we can correct it by highlighting the text and chaging font, but sometimes that doens't work. Today the docuemnt comeplty crashes as soon as we try. 

All that had chagned within the document was that a user deleted some X's from a table to leave the cells blank. I have tried searching the forums and internet and all the suggestions seem to be around when a new PDF is created or pages are added, not basic editing. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, how we can prevent it or a quick/easy way to fix it when it happens?

Thanks

Tom 

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

1. Print to PDF (as an image using Advanced Options), then

2. OCR and compress the new version of the document

3. Save.

That should allow the document to be searchable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that . As described, Text within PDF changes to squares when editing.

Is this an issue with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs that you try to edit? Please try with a different PDF file and check.

It look like the font issue as the fonts are not properly embedded in the PDF file or they are not present on your system or you may not have the right to use those fonts. Please go to Edit (Win) > Adobe Acrobat (MAC) > Preferences > Page Display > Under Rendering, Select 'Use Local Fonts' > Click OK and reboot the application and check.

For more info about font embedding please go through the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/pdf-fonts.html 

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ho do I fix this problem when there is no 'use local fonts' option under rendering? i only have smooth line art, smooth images, enhance thin lines and use page cache

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Amal,

It seems to be only 1 document, but it coul dbe that it's happeing with others and people just fix it withouth letting me know! I only heard after it had happened with this one several times.

I have checked and use local fonts was already checked and the font is embedded. Also if it was down to the font not being present or not having permissions I would expect it to happen across the whole document not pick and chose a few pieces here and there?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Tom 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom

We are sorry to hear that. Would you mind sharing the  PDF file in question with us so that we can check it at our end.

https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/sharing-pdfs.html

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you,

I have attached 2 files - one is our template that we work on and the other is the file with the problem.

I have had to remove a few pages from the template and quite alot form the other one due to some of the information but I think this should show the problem.

The only change made before the issue appeared was deleting the xxxxxxx from the tables on page 24-25 of the template and 9-10 of the problem file 

Thanks

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The white squares are definitely a sign that either 1) the font wasn't embedded, or embedded entirely, or 2) the font is missing the specific glyphs that became white squares.

Since you said you already have embedded the font, I'm asssuming that it was done when the PDF was exported, correct? Try these 2 options:

1. In Acrobat's Preflight utility, force the fonts to be embedded. However, before doing that, make sure the fonts are installed on the computer.

Embed-Fonts_01.png

Embed-Fonts_03.png

2. Check the settings used when the PDF was exported from the source document. They might have changed (updated software, updated OS, etc.). Assuming you're using PDFMaker on Windows from MS Office...

Drill down in the PDF Maker setttings/Preferences until you find this advanced screen. Follow the yellow items, making sure all fonts listed in the large fields on the right (Always Embed and Never Embed) are empty.

Embed all fonts via PDF Maker in MS Office.Embed all fonts via PDF Maker in MS Office.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2023 Nov 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Print to PDF (as an image using Advanced Options), then

2. OCR and compress the new version of the document

3. Save.

That should allow the document to be searchable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines