• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error - The document could not be saved. There was a problem reading this document (105).

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just registered and installed Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and I cannot save PDF files.

I decided to try the trial period because I was so frustrated with the lack of functionality in Adobe Reader.  I need to be able to sign documents, and even when DC reader works, it takes minutes to open a single document.

First, I uninstalled DC Reader.  That took about a half hour.

Next I signed up for the trial period.  I was surprised that Acrobat was so difficult to download.  I had to attempt a few browser tricks before I could even start the download.

After finally installing Acrobat Pro, I was unable to save PDF files.  I've tried multiple files and tried saving them to new locations, but I get the same error.

To add insult to injury, I couldn't contact tech support because I haven't registered my product.  (That sounds like an error I'd get back when people bought software in a box at the local office store.)

Please either help me resolve this issue or cancel my trial period immediately.  I have no desire to pay for a product that doesn't work and isn't supported.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to save by printing to PDF.

Extract pages did not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

file>save a copy worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you !!!! This worked .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just pressed Print to PDF and it saved as a PDF. This works too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The instruction works like a chime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found that if you "save as other" then choose "optomized PDF" another box will show up. Select yes then either overwrite the existing file or save in new location.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!

I have had this issue with pds from the IRS website.

This has been driving me nuts.

Your fix works.

Megan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks it worked for me also

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Let us know if you are still experiencing this issue with the latest version of the Acrobat/Reader DC version: 21.007.20091 Planned update, Sept 14, 2021

If yes, would it be possible to share a sample PDF file on which you are experiencing this issue along with a screenshot of the error or if possible a video recording?

Also, the current version of the OS is installed.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all the above. Happy to share the PDF if you tell me how to do that. Using Adobe Pro DC 32 Bit with most recent update on Windows Enterprise 10 build 18363.

Could it have something to do with the length of the filename and/or that it included _ character?

My co-author was getting the same message with the file working on her computer. At first when I got the message I found that it was saving anyway in spite of the message. But now it doesn't seem to be saving at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After posting my message, and trying all the previous suggestions, it occured to me to try sharing the pdf with my collaborator via the Adobe Document Cloud, i.e. saving it to the Cloud, and it worked. WHY it worked I have no idea, but definitely worth a try for others 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Acrobat Pro DC, and received the same error.  Given that this in only a 1 page document, none of solutions apply.

A response from Acrobat regarding this issue would be appreciated.

Arthur Johnston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-installing Adobe Pro DC, resolved the issue.

Arthur Johnston

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2021 Dec 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I found this thread! I was unable to use the recommended fix but I was able to use File: Save As Other ... and convert my document to a Word file. That worked just fine for me, as I just need a copy of it on file. I was not inclined to spend a whole lot of time on this and I didn't have to. Thank you all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still cannot get it to save even to a different file of any name or size. Extremely frustrating paying over 200 for a product that does not work. Will be etting rid of adobe and trying something else that has some support live.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extract files is greyed out and cannot be selected. I spent and hour editing a document, and then get this when I tried to save it.

Adobe - if there was a problem reading the file, tell the user before they spend potentially hours working on it only to find when then go to save it that there was  problem reading the file. This is so bad, it's comical (difficult to laugh then when I lost an hour of my life due to this issue). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2022 Jan 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My solution was to open up the PDF at issue > Click File > "Save as Copy" (note not save as) and give it a new name to save it to your directory.   Open it up and use the new version and test it.  That seem to work for me especially for a PDF with form fields that was secured.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2022 and we still have 105 problems! I followed the steps but after Organize Pages I didnt get the Extract option. 

Tools > Organize Pages - Open - Extract Pages

That's the only extra step I had to do, I was able to sign and save my documents after.

Thank You!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In our PDF, the error was caused by an glitch in XFA, Adobe's form technology from Adobe LiveCycle Designer.

Although a bit dated by now, XFA is a powerful form technology that sometimes isn't compatible with Acrobat itself, and I think that's what caused our 105 error.

Our solution:

1. Fill out the form.
  2. Rather than saving it, Print to Acrobat PDF (File / Print / Adobe PDF as the printer).

If you need to sign the form, open the "printed" PDF, sign it, and re-save the it.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 6 PDF that were created by Integrity OrgPlus Version 11. I tried to combine them in Adobe Acrobat 2017 but I got the above error message when I tried to save my binder.

Does someone know what I can do to allow me to save the binder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Verify that when you're executing the combined files action that any of those files are not opened in Acrobat or with any other PDF viewer, or have password restrictions, like digitally certified or password protected with encryption, for example.

You may also want to check that the folder that you're saving the new binder PDF is not restricted, and also verify if the file naming convention of this file contains special or reserved characters, or spaces, or that is too long. (that includes if the file extension of the file is supported by Acrobat).

These are just a few suggestions in the blind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try saving them as Optimized. This will cause Acrobat to try to recreate the file. If there is a structural error, this could fix it. It's also possible the PDF contains errors that cannot be fixed, but do not seriously interfere with rendering. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I signed the document digitally and tried to save it, this error message kept popping up. I tried to find the cap file and give more permission, but I couldn't find the cap file. I need help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you confirm:

- the version of the software and operating system

- the location of the original file (email, local, network, cloud...)

Have you checked https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/finding-the-signature-file-on-my-c-drive/t... for Windows OS

or https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/digital-signture-file-location-mac-os-x-10-11-6/t... for Mac OS

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Windows 11 and the location of the file is on desktop/cloud. I'm referring to the certificate based digital id. I chekced the link you sent, but I am lost after username portion of the command. I can't find the AppData file.

Thanks for the help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines