• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The first time the Chrome extension is enabled, how can I disable the new tab pop-up?

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After installation of Acrobat, I open up Chrome and am greeted with an extra Chrome tab of Adobe "welcome" nonsense.  Can this tab be prevented with registry key or another setting?

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Apologies for the late reply, I hope you must have got a fix for this by now. As you are getting an extra Chrome tab of Adobe "welcome".

Please try to disable the tab through the registry: Windows registry editor version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\AV General]

"bSIDMode"=dword:00000001

I hope this works for you, do let us know the results.

Regards,

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

I really appreciate the attempt.

Because we don't have Reader DC but Acrobat DC I tried it under Adobe Acrobat\DC as well as Acrobat Reader.  The first had no effect, the second had an undesired effect.

When using the exact key mentioned above, the tab does indeed not open, but that is because the extension doesn't get enabled.  It makes the "Enable Extension" button to act like clicking the grey close x.  The extension is not removed from Chrome as I can manually enable it from chrome://extensions.  If I manually enable the extension, the new tab still shows up.

Chrome_EnableExtension.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

Apologies for the inconvenience,

This is the welcome screen asking to enable the extension. Once you enable the extension the screen will not appear again.

As you mentioned, "If I manually enable the extension, the new tab still shows up" which new tab you are referring to, could you please send us the screenshot of the same?

We need some more information for a better understanding.

Regards,

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click enable extension, this new tab opens.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-pro-chrome-extension.html

I don't want this URL to display after enabling the extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

We have tested the same at our end, the new tab opens for the very first time you enable the extension, it's a design behavior. You can simply close the tab and it will not appear the second time.

Let us know if it does appear again in your case. For better understanding please provide us with your workflow that you are following.

Regards,

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have this problem. we are enabling Acrobat ext in NonPersistent VDI environment. we couldnt capture this in our profile management solution. how can disable this additional Tab from opening. each time our users login to VDI, they see this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amal,

I am experiencing the exact same behavior as Mike.  I have just installed Adobe DC on Windows 11 and the extension in Chrome. I have verified that the extension is enabled. Every time I launch Chrome, it opens a second tab with the URL: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-pro-chrome-extension.html  I have told Chrome to start with "New Tab" and it still opens a second tab with that URL. Can this be disabled in the registry?

Thanks,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having the same issue. I have the Adobe Acrobat extension installed on my browser. EVERY time I open the browser the following pops up in a new tab:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-pro-chrome-extension.html

This is very frustating. How do I get rid of this pop up? Sure someone at Adobe has a solution now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW....this happens in both Chrome and Edge browsers for me. What is the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Do we have any update of this issue?

We're experience the same issue with Adobe Chrome Extension in a non-persistent VDI environement.

How can we disable this new tab permanently to show up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, three years after it was discussed and not resolved. Even after agreeing to use the reader as default, still opens a tab, every time. Amal may have left Adobe, but the issue remains. This nagging shows how needy the Adobe marketing policy is. Torturing existing users is hardly helpful, wish they give up already. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2022 Aug 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Creating these registry keys finally did the trick with non persistent VDI. The HKLM entry did not seem to have any affect, and that may have been mainly due to the VDI environent, but the HKCU entry prevented the additional tab from opening.  Google search Chrome PromotionalTabsEnabled for more detail

Registry HiveHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Registry PathSoftware\Policies\Google\Chrome
Value NamePromotionalTabsEnabled
Value TypeREG_DWORD
Enabled Value1
Disabled Value0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines