• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

the message "converting scanned page to searchable image" shows when i am paging

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the message "converting scanned page to searchable image" shows when i scroll down every page and it slows the paging speed intolerably.

Someone please help me.

snipaste20170227_152811.jpg

snipaste20170227_152933.jpg

windows 10

TOPICS
Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I am not wrong you are in Edit PDF tool. This is happening due to a default Acrobat preference which most of the users wants. But you can change this preference following these steps:

1. Open-File in Acrobat
2. Go to Tools> "Edit PDF"
3. If it runs OCR by default, Go to RHP (window on right side of PDF)
4. There will be a link "Revert to Image" under "Scanned Document" section
5. Click on this link. It will undo OCR. And now this preference remains sticky. You need not to do these steps again and again. You can also change this preference again whenever you want, by clicking the new link available there "Convert to text".

Hope it will resolve your issue.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, This didn't help. I have the precise same problem. The instructions seem not to reflect the actual Acrobat Interface. Specifically, point 4

"4. There will be a link "Revert to Image" under "Scanned Document" section".

This link does appear on the right hand pane; however it CANNOT be clicked at all. It is grayed out. See below.

I believe this is a bug in Acrobat. I have the same version as the OP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benm, 

Are you experiencing the exact same problem while editing the document? The settings suggested in the previous response applies to the Acrobat DC version 2015. Is it the same version you are working too?

benm51195693

"4. There will be a link "Revert to Image" under "Scanned Document" section".

This link does appear on the right hand pane; however it CANNOT be clicked at all. It is grayed out. See below.

Revert to Image only appears, if the document actually contains images in it. If its a PDF file which contains real text, the option would not be highlighted.

Similarly, for the latest version of Acrobat DC you will see the option "Recognize Text" while working with Edit tool for a scanned document.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Akancha,

Thanks for the help.

1- I have the precise same version as the OP (I'm not going to upgrade as of now).

2- I have the same problem: I am not trying to edit anything. The file is not a scanned document. It has no pictures. It is a standard text documented. In fact for every standard PDF file I open, the same problem occurs: it hangs while scrolling down, as it shown the message in the OP, claiming to "recognize the text". Since the file is a text file, it has nothing to recognize.

Hence, this is a BUG in acrobat.

Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ben,

Sorry for the delay in further response to you. There have been several updates released after Acrobat version 2015.023.20070. We suggest you to install the latest patch which should  help fixing the issue- DC Release Notes — Release Notes for Acrobat DC Products

Regards,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as the OP. I am running the latest continuous release version of Acrobat Pro DC (2020.009.20067) on a Mac (Mojave v 10.146). 

When I scroll through an ordinary pdf document (not a scanned document) in ordinary read mode (not edit) the above message often shows up. Usually it appears rather briefly (too briefly to read or screen shot) but it still slows down scrolling and sometimes it appears for longer. If I open View->Tools ->Edit PDF, I see the Recognize Text box is not selected, and in fact is greyed out (cannot be selected).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to support this OP. I am working with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC version 20.12.20043.396433 and this problem is still happening. The program is attempting to convert every pdf file into a searchable image, even when the pdf was not scanned nor was I using edit mode. Even in reading mode the program attempts to scan every page. Please resolve this bug because it is making the program very unpleasant to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have the same issue as you even in the latest version of Adobe Pro DC. Doesn't happen with every document though. No clue yet how to fix that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same issue, this is really annoying when I'm trying to read PDF documents. Can someone look into this more deeply?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(None of the suggestions above helped)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I found the solution from an old thread which solved my problem.

https://acrobatusers.com/forum/general-acrobat-topics/switching-automatic-ocr/index.php#comment-6171... 

* Edit > Preferences... > Reading
* Reading Order: "Use reading order in raw print stream".
* Page vs Document: "Only read the currently visible pages".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm this worked for me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saved my life, Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2023 Dec 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It works!!! Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines