• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

There was a RAISE without a handler. The application will now exit.

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I updated my mac to the latest version 10.15 (macOS Catlina), I cannot open adobe aircraft reader DC anymore. Everytime I try to open it, it says "There was a RAISE without a handler. The application will now exit" and exits immediately. I try to uninstall and install acrobat reader again, but it still does not works. Anyone can help? Thanks.

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 8.15.09 AM.png

Update on Oct 26:

I do not use any plug-in, and I only use adobe reader, not other adobe apps. This issue only happens on adobe reader, not on other apps such as PDF Expert (another PDF viewing app). My adobe reader just keep crashes everytime I open some PDF documents and says "There was a RAISE without a handler. The application will now exit".

And this is the latest version of adobe reader I can find on their official website (not sure why they do not have macos10.15 version):

Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 11.34.49 AM.png

Here is a copy of my mac system overview:

Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 11.39.02 AM.png

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat , PDF forms , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Hi,

Adobe Acrobat and Reader official update containing the fix for this issue is now available. This update will be automatically pushed to all existing installations of Acrobat and Reader. If you want, you may also manually trigger the update by opening the application and going to Help > Check for Updates.

More information about this release is here: Release notes 

Please try it out and let us know your feedback. Thanks for your patience and support!

Regards,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks mate, much appreciated. My issue was gone when i turned off Accessibility features in macOS. So we have Sherlocked it down to the Accessibility plugin! Congrats!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice! We should get some kind of Adobe badge for being such slueths! I'd be curious to hear about the specific features you turned off in Accessibility. My two Macs (10.15 and 10.14) have a few vairations. 

First off, in System Prefs, in Security and Privacy and under the Privacy tab and the Accessiblity I only see Photoshop and I don't see Acrobat.

Under Full Disk Access 10.15 shows Acrobat, under 10.14 there is nothing in this window. 

Under Files and Folders, Acrobat also has Full Disk access (this isn't a category in 10.14)

Under Automation, Acrobat has three options in 10.15 (Powerpoint, System Events, Acrobat Distiller) I have PowerPoint unchecked. In 10.14 options are (Powerpoint, System Events) and again, PPT is unchecked. 

And then that is it. I don't see any additional accessibility settings. 

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crash is happening because Apple has added a new feature in their on-screen keyboard, which allows Text Manipulation. We are trying to fix the issue at our end but would like to know if there's someone whose issue is not related to the on-screen keyboard and not getting resolved even after deleting the accessibility plugin. Pls. let us know.

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the on-screen keyboard, and do not want the accessibility plugin allowing Text Manipulation deleted. It is no problem for me to simply close the on-screen keyboard when I want to use Adobe reader, then close Adobe reader when I want to go back to the on-screen keyboard. I need to retain the full functionality of both.

Thanke,

Perdicus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vinod,

i am using MacOs Sierra and I DO NOT USE any on-screen keyboard. I tried everything, deletet all with the AcroCleaner, downloaded diffrent Acrobat Reader DC versions... nothing helped! Every time I try to open any PDF file the error message "There was a RAISE without a handler" appears and the program shuts down completly. My computer is almost empty, i just bought it second hand, I hardly have any programs installed - only a lot of documents - nothing new. I need the acrobat reader to work every day. It is pretty dramatic. Can you please help!!! Thank you from Berlin,

Juliane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Juliane,

There is a troubleshooting trick that works in computers running MS Windows.

At this time I only have linux and windows and Android so I can't show with screenshots that apply to your version of macOS.

BUT,  if you're able to locate in your mac where is Adobe Acrobat Reader installed, there is a file named EULA. (End User License Agreement).

When you find it, double-click to open it, accept the license agreement, click OK to close it, and the Raise without Handler problem should disappear the next time you open your Reader app.

Like I said, this seems to work on Windows but it is worth giving it a try in your mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the issue. Don't use an on-screen keyboard. I deleted the accessibility plugin anyway, still won't work. Used AcroCleaner too, still no luck. On the latest version of Acrobat Pro DC, Mac 10.14.6. Files also will not open in the Mac Preview app, for what it's worth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not being able to open a PDF with Mac Preview app sounds more like you have issues with the PDFs themselves. I've never come across an issue with Preview not working to at least most degree. Try downloading PDF from Adobe like: 

https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/products/creativecloud/business/teams/features/pdfs/cct-ov...

Or any other PDF downloadable. If PDFs you are making work different then PDFs downloaded then either something wrong with setting for how creating or if you can't open PDF downloads something is corrupting on downloading. Have you tried dragging a PDF in to a web browser window? Can Safari show you a PDF from your desktop? It shoud be able to if file is good. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

It looks more like an older installation or a hidden folder with old Adobe Reader files in it  has not been properly removed. https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/delete-previously-installed-application-files.html

Let's say, if that was the case, in order to completely remove old traces of Adobe Acrobat/Reader software you may need to use this tool:  https://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html

If you've already try that, and it didn't fully work for you , then you may want to use Nick Romero's method to mnually search for hidden traces of the Adobe Reader software and manually remove it completely :  https://www.nickromero.com/completely-remove-adobe-from-your-mac-in-2-steps/

To install Reader again use these links instead: https://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/

Or,  the full offline installer for enterprise distribution instead  from here: https://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

To manually install updates and patches after the installation is successful, review the release notes: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/release-note/release-notes-acrobat-reader.html

The link you've posted worked on my end

reader-troubleshooting.png

NOTE:  I'm using a very old desktop PC that used to run a branded MS Windows7 of e-Machines for this example. I also forced an upgrade to Windows 10 in my machine.

My hardware only supports up to  8GB of RAM. In addition,  I only have generic and very old memory sticks that were given to me for free in a pawn shop. So I ended up  with my computer BIOS detecting two different  memory clock speeds of unganged RAM ; only one core for my AMD processor is available. So my hardware limitations and the way I have installed all of my Adobe software with co-existing apps is not an issue on my end. This is entirely a software misconfiguration issue on your end. When this happens you may need to uninstall and reinstall.

After uninstalling and reinstalling by  using the appropriate utilities and step-by-step procedures, then it becomes easier to narrow down the issue to other areas.

So if you still don't feel like going tohrough the hassles of uninstallig and reinstalling, like I've suggested in other threads to resolve  this type of issue in MS Windows: 

Go here to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader

And click on the edit the Eula.exe file to open the Agreement and accept it. Click Ok to close and it should resolve this issue.

readerEULA.png

You should be able to perform this in macOS by going to (Macintosh HD)Root System/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Acrobat Reader DC/Reader

readerEULA1.png

Click "Accept" , and RESTART YOUR COMPUTER and that's it. Also ensure Adobe Reader is your default PDF owner in your macOS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoemC0Cjo_M

This should resolve the Raise without a handler error.  

NOTE: More in-depth reference can be accessed here https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/preferences.html

You can do the same in your macOS.  You don't need to reinstall everything to try a similar method as described above for MS Windows machines,  and you don't need to battle with a misbehaving  Adobe Reader to try and open it in order to launch the EULA agreement executable.

Use the following guidance: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/enterprise-teams/suppress-eula-macos-adobe-reader-2017/td-p/9550361 to modify your .plist Preferences and  set the Adobe Reader  EULA to  "Yes".

NOTE: More in-depth reference can be accessed here: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/PrefRef/Macintosh/index.html

You can also find more here: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/unable-to-accept-end-user-license.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

At the time that you wrote this post, the latest fully supported versions of Acrobat Reader DC are the ones shown in your screenshot.

Your version of macOS Catalina is still or was" in beta software testing stage in September trhough October 2019.

Apple published a total of 11 beta software stages for that OS since September.

So the versions that you see listed in the pulldown menu of your screenshot above are fully supported versions for operating systems NOT in beta testing stage.

You may want to switch your macOS Catalina from beta testing to its final public version 10.15.1 "stage to diminish the problems that many users who have upgraded from Mojave are experiencing.

Here is how to:

https://wccftech.com/how-to/how-to-switch-from-beta-to-final-version-of-macos-catalina/ 

Be aware that the public version is also or had  two beta stages released reently in October 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As far as I know, I am not and never have been enrolled in any Apple beta software testing program. I just checked System Preferences > Software Update and got the following result 

OK, I give up. So how the (expletive deleted) do I send you a screen shot? By the way, the dialog box said "Your Mac is up to date — macOS Catalina 10.15.1  Last Checked: Today at 9:02 AM"

Perdicus

Perdicus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

When you have your application open in your screen, just hit the Ctrl key + Print Screen key together.

It will save a copy or snapshot of your desktop screen in the clipboard (temporary memory), so you can then paste it in MS Paint or similar image editing program.

save it as .PNG file and when you hit the reply button here in the forum look in the toolbar above the typing space, like shown in the slide:

toolbar.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course I know HOW to do it on my Mac (a bit different from your Windows instructions). The problem is your site will not ALLOW it, even when replying to e-mails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is funny how the pre-conditioned logic and the perceptions  of Apple users work.

I am extremely vendor-neutral when it comes to operating systems, but if you ask me I seem to wholeheartedly favor Android OS powered devices (which is badically linux)

So the way on how you've assumed that I was using Windows is like me going to Starbucks and asking for a regular  black coffee;  the cashier feels the need to reeducate me and say " so I am going to repeat your order Sir...  "You ordered a  a pike , veinte... is that all for you today?"

Not even my  screenshot shows that I'm using windows in the example above... how did you do that?

Ctrl+Print Screen also works with linux in a desktop PC  environment, and so does with Apple devices using  a USB  external keyboard.

And I did mentioned MS Paint but also specified "or similar image editing program".

But anyway, Can you then share it as a linked file? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Adobe Acrobat and Reader official update containing the fix for this issue is now available. This update will be automatically pushed to all existing installations of Acrobat and Reader. If you want, you may also manually trigger the update by opening the application and going to Help > Check for Updates.

More information about this release is here: Release notes 

Please try it out and let us know your feedback. Thanks for your patience and support!

Regards,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, but this doesn't work. I have the latest update to Reader, and am running MacOs Big Sur 11.5.2 , and I am still getting the error. Please advise how to stop this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MY FILES WERE ALSO DELETED!  [Cursing removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you specify where did the files deleted from?

Your computer? What system, macOS, iOS, AndroidOS, MS Windows?

Did you sign in to the Document Cloud with your AdobeID and checked that at least all of the documents are archived there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines