Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Time Field

Participant ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Thanks to a bit of research from previous discussions, I have been able to get a time field working the way I was hoping for. I basically want to add a time field that accepts this 00:00 format. To do this, on the field I added a Custom Keystroke Script (thanks @try67 for this):

if (event.change && AFMergeChange(event).length==2) event.change+=":";

This works great, as it automatically adds the ":" as soon as I enter the first two characters. 

The only thing I am trying to do now is set the field so that it only accepts numbers and the ":", but no letters. I haven't been able to solve this, and am hoping someone may be able to help me only allow numbers and ":" to be accepted in this field.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

event.rc = /^[0-9:]*$/.test(event.change);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Nesa Nurani I updated the Custom Keystroke Script to:

event.rc = /^[0-9:]*$/.test(event.change);

This worked! It doesn't display the keystroke script I entered due to the known bug, however when I pasted the above code in it did work. I have attached my updated PDF for reference. Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want the script to "disappear" place it in a doc-level function and then just call that function from the field's Keystroke event. This also has the additional benefit that you could use the same code for multiple fields and would only need to update it once if you decided to change it in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @try67 for this suggestion! I just tried this out, and I hope I followed your direction correctly. I created a second time field simply to test, and I believe it is working. Welcome any feedback in the event I misinterpreted things. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did it perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As you have a "am/pm" radio button, I guess hours must be <=12 and minutes <59, which is not the case with the current script. You need a regular expression to check hours and minutes.

You can place this script for your doc-level function:

function TimeFormat() {
	var aTester=event.value.split("");
	aTester.splice(event.selStart, event.selEnd-event.selStart, event.change);
	var testeChaine=aTester.join("");
	var timeRegEx=/^((0[1-9]?|1[0-2]?)(:([0-5][0-9]?)?)?)?$/;
	event.rc=timeRegEx.test(testeChaine);
}

and in custom keystroke script:

if(!event.willCommit) TimeFormat();
else {
	var timeRegEx=/^(0[1-9]|1[0-2]):[0-5][0-9]$/;
	event.rc=event.value=="" || timeRegEx.test(event.value);
}

@+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @bebarth and @try67 for your replies on this and sorry for not replying sooner.

@bebarth I'm trying to follow along to your reply ... yes time would ideally look like this:

12:00

1:00

2:00

3:00

etc.

I get what I think you're saying, that the problem with what I did is that if I want to enter 1:30, it would display as 13:0

From what I can tell in your example, time between  1:00 - 9:59 will not work unless someone enters 0 first, so it would be 01:00 for example. 

I assume there is no way for this to work to be able to show 1:00 or 11:00 depending on the time, as 1:00 would need to be 01:00?? When I first tried out the example I was confused that I needed to enter a 0, but then I realized that if I tried entering 1:00 my example was 10:0. 

Perhaps I set the field to only accept numbers and the :, but it's the responsibility of the person to enter the time correctly. I can't figure out what would be the most ideal, so any feedback is appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a follow up, I see now that using Acrobat's default time property that I need to enter a 0 first for any time between 1-9... so I think that likely answers my question I was asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am thinking using Acrobat's time option maybe could work, and if entered incorrectly I'm wondering if there is a way to adjust this alert that appears:

The value entered does not match the format of the field ( Time )

I attached an example. Thanks for your patience as I explore all of this 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't adjust the built-in error messages. You will need to write your own Format script to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @try67 can you elaborate on what that means exactly (creating a format script). If it's very time consuming and difficult then I will leave it alone 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's take a step back. What do you want the user to be able to enter, and what should they not be able to enter? Do you want to validate what they enter as they type it, or only when they exit the field?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

With these new script you can write the time with a single digit for hours, but in this case you must type the (:) symbol!

In doc-level function:

function TimeFormat() {
	if (event.change && AFMergeChange(event).length==2 && AFMergeChange(event).indexOf(":")==-1) event.change+=":";
	var timeRegEx=/^(([1-9]|1[0-2]?)(:([0-5][0-9]?)?)?)?$/;
}

and in custom keystroke script:

if(!event.willCommit) TimeFormat();
else {
	var timeRegEx=/^([1-9]|1[0-2]):[0-5][0-9]$/;
}

@+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both! I was just replying when I saw this message.

I think this is along the lines of what I was wondering about and I think is a good solution for what I need. If I wanted to have the ":" no longer auto fill after two digits are entered (ex - 12:49) and make it manual like if someone enters 3 digits (1:26), how would I need to adjust the doc level JavaScript for this, or would this create a new issue I'm not thinking of? I am just thinking since I have to enter it manually if it's 3 digits, to keep it consistent, maybe I should have to enter manually as well if 4 digits. Either way, I think this solution works and I thank everyone for their assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only type 3 or 4 digits and add a custom format script.

Custom keystroke script:

if(!event.willCommit) {
	var timeRegEx=/^(([1-9]|1[0-2]?)([0-5][0-9]?)?)?$/;
} else {
	var timeRegEx=/^([1-9]|1[0-2])[0-5][0-9]$/;
}

Custom format script:

if (event.value.length==3) event.value=event.value.substr(0,1)+":"+event.value.substr(1);
else event.value=event.value.substr(0,2)+":"+event.value.substr(2);

@+

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @bebarth this is interesting. If I enter a time, then delete it, the : will then appeear in the field. Is it possible for that not to happen if I clear the field?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines