• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

transfer OCR/textual data into a scanned PDF

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often print out PDF documents to make hand-written notes on, which I then scan into new PDFs for archiving. The original PDFs are searchable, and I would like to be able to transfer that OCR/textual data over to the scanned PDF so that I end up with a PDF that has my own notes AND in which the original text is searchable. Is that possible?

Many thanks for your help!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , Scan documents and OCR

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Try 67 is correct; you cannot "transfer" over the OCR data.

However, if you try to run OCR over the same document, every place where your drawing overlaps text, it will foul up any OCR attempt. 

You do not detail what kind of notes you are doing, but if you were to do those notes on the computer, either adding text or drawing your notes with the pencil tool (from comments) you could have both: the original searchable text and your notes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. You have to run OCR again on the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try 67 is correct; you cannot "transfer" over the OCR data.

However, if you try to run OCR over the same document, every place where your drawing overlaps text, it will foul up any OCR attempt. 

You do not detail what kind of notes you are doing, but if you were to do those notes on the computer, either adding text or drawing your notes with the pencil tool (from comments) you could have both: the original searchable text and your notes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks @try67 and @gary_sc for your help. As gary_sc points out, the OCR will be messed up as my notes (text notes and underlining/highlighting) overlap the original text in places. Your suggestion is probably the most practical solution from here on. Time to think about getting a tablet…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines