Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferring Digital Signatures Between Laptops

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2017 Jun 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have 2 questions please.  On my old laptop (Dell Vostro with Windows 7) I have Acrobat X Standard which I used to merge and digitally sign pdfs.  I want to buy the most inexpensive software which will allow me to do the same on my new laptop (Dell Inspiron with Widows 10).  So my questions are:

(1) Which Adobe software should I buy

(2) Where can I find and how can I transfer the signatures from the old to the new laptops. I had an image of my signature in cursive writing which I used alongside the digital signature.

Thank you

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

The answer marked as correct here only caused frustration, and I discovered it's easier to either find the correct file on your original laptop or just create a new signature.

As others noted, Adobe only lets you export in .cer, .fdf or .p7c formats, but you need .p12 or .pfx to send it to your new computer. If you originally created the signature as a  PKCS#12 file, then it should be easy to find that .pfx file in this location on Windows:

Local Disk>Users>username>AppData>Roaming>Adobe>Acrobat>

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I have help please with this query?

tx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(1) Acrobat DC Standard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Bernd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Edited: See below]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am transitioning to a new MacBook. I have saved the exported Digital ID in all 3 available formats  (.cer  .fdf  and .p7c) but the Add ID process on the new Macbook will not recognize/select any of those formats. What am I missing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must use the files with .p12 or .pfx extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Reader DC won't export as .p12 or .pfx

It exports as .p7c

This is so frustrating. Why does adobe reader export in a different format to the import in DC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have exported the public key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer marked as correct here only caused frustration, and I discovered it's easier to either find the correct file on your original laptop or just create a new signature.

As others noted, Adobe only lets you export in .cer, .fdf or .p7c formats, but you need .p12 or .pfx to send it to your new computer. If you originally created the signature as a  PKCS#12 file, then it should be easy to find that .pfx file in this location on Windows:

Local Disk>Users>username>AppData>Roaming>Adobe>Acrobat>DC>Security

Once that file is transferred, then use the Add ID function

In my case using Reader DC, the signature was originally created through the Windows Certificate Store, which left a file with no extension called "reader_fss_signature_initials" in the same location above. I could not figure out any way to export this file as a .pfx, even trying to reach it through the Windows certificate manager. After spending far too much time on this, it was easier to just create a new signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. The same thing happened to me. I spend to much time trying to export my Windows digital ID to another computer following the tutorials export and import and not finding the .p12 or .pfx files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right. My reply above was incorrect. The Export command only generates a public key, used to validate existing signatures, not to transfer the signature profile from one computer to another. I'm marked your answer as the correct one and un-marked mine as correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for all your help. 

I found a way to get around this issue. So I wanted to export my "Windows Digital ID" that I drew so nice and neat on my windows surface. So what I did I took a screenshot of my signature and configure my "WD ID" on my desktop and inserted the screenshoot and that was it. 2 minutes I was done. I spent two hours researching and trying the import / export option which did not work. I hope this help to others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines