• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble with digital signature problem - The validity of the document certification is UNKNOWN. The author could not be verified.

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently upgraded to Acrobat DC. We have documents that have been digitally signed. Now when someone else opens them it says "The validity of the document certification is UNKNOWN. The author could not be verified." I've read up as much as I could (didn't know anything about them except how to sign a doc with one) and I've checked several things and can't find the problem. When I go to the certificate viewer it shows that we have a Certificate Authority. I read on another post that the latest Acrobat/Reader version enforce "Extended Key Usage" (EKU) attribute in the signing certificate. I checked that out and the OID (not sure what that stands for) that permit signing has five things: server authentication, client authentication, code signing, email protection and TimeStamping. It says in the Revoation tab "The selected certificate does not chain up to a certificate designated as a trusted anchor (see the Trust Tab for details). The result is that revocation checks were not performed on this certificate." It seems that I could "Add to Trusted Certificates" but we've never had to do that before, why now? Not to mention it advises me that I shouldn't do that. Please help. Thanks! Let me know if you need anything other information to trouble shoot.

TOPICS
Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EKU enforcement happens when you sign a PDF, not when you validate an existing signature.

Make sure that you trust the root of the certificate chain (only if you really-really trust it!).  Right-click on the signature (either the signature field or in the Signature Panel on the left), select "Show Signature Properties.." in the drop-down list and then "Show Signer's Certificate". You'll see the trust chain in the left-hand panel of the "Certificate Viewer" dialog (if the signing certificate is self-signed it will be the only one in the chain). Select certificate in the chain that you trust (if you trust any) and click the "Trust" button on top of teh right-hand part. Then select the trust level and click "Add to Trusted Identities" button. Be extra careful to trust self-signed signing certificates.

You can manage your trusted identities in Edit->Preferences->Signatures->Identities&Trusted Certificates->More...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did step by step but it is not working error1.jpgerror2.jpgerror3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Sir, did you find a solution to this? Please share it with me if u did. I need to validate Aadhar card signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2023 Mar 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help me also. I purchased this certificate through identrust and it is valid and I trust my signature. But the signature should be trusted on any computer that it is sent to. I had to import this certificate from my laptop because I installed it there initially but I don't use that laptop often. So now on my desktop its showing this error and my clients are questioning why its giving this error. I tried to trust it on my own computer but then it has a revocation error. saying it was not performed because it doesn't chain up to a trusted anchor. What does this mean in laymans terms? Please explain it to me like I'm a child without the confusing tech language. If its an error I can't fix because it was imported let me know. If I can fix this so that my clients see the green check mark, please help. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2023 Mar 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bottom line: you need to get a key that is trusted by Adobe in its Adobe Approved Trust List. While Identrust is on the AATL, you need to buy the correct digital certificate. The cheaper certificates will not automatically validate on Adobe. You will need to buy the digital certificate in the second Identrust link that I've provided.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/approved-trust-list1.html

https://www.identrust.com/aatl-enabled-digital-certificates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines