• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to copy Ukrainian to any document produces gibberish - why?

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to translate a PDF catalog from Ukrainian to English but copying/pasting results in gibberish, e.g., Êàòàëîã òâîð3â Êîñòÿíòèíà Âëàñîâñüêîãî

If I paste to Word, gTranslate, search bar on any browser, I get gibberish. If I follow the previously mentioned "fixes" to copy with formatting and paste it does not work - still get nonsense. 

This is an example of the Ukrainian text, which is supposed to read "catalog of works by Konstantin Vlasosvsky in the Sumy art museum".

Êàòàëîã òâîð³â

Êîñòÿíòèíà Âëàñîâñüêîãî

³ç ç³áðàííÿ Ñóìñüêîãî

õóäîæíüîãî ìóçåþ

So, any ideas where the disconnect is and how to fix it?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is most likely with the font encoding of the file. There's not much you can do to solve it, short of re-creating the file from scratch and running Text Recognition on the new version, using Acrobat. You can do that by exporting the pages as images (use a high resolution, lossless format, like PNG) and then combine those files as a new PDF, then run Text Recognition on the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply.

This is WAY above my pay grade so I'll be cancelling Acrobat as I tried it just for this type of exercise (there are many more documents to translate).

I appreciate your time to respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines