U.S voice files missing in Acrobat DC

Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to get Acrobat DC to read a file out loud to me. This used to work fine, before my work laptop was replaced with a newer model. Now an error message says "No US English voice available on this system."  This is a Dell laptop running Windows 10. Where do I get the necessary files for the voices? The IT dept. told me to Google it... 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat uses the voices installed in your operating systems provided by the Microsoft Speech API (SAPI). You should check, if there has any been installed or not.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17173/windows-10-hear-text-read-aloud

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/Search/results?query=Microsoft+Speech+API+%28SAPI%29

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Word 365 can read the file out loud (it sounds like the David voice), so the files must be installed in Windows, but Acrobat DC apparently can't "see" them. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to set a voice manually in Reader.

Open [Edit] > [Preferences] > [Reading], uncheck "use default voice" and select a voice from the drop down below.

radzmar_0-1599596068034.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the steps, but there are no (zero) option for voice languages.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is my solution....

How do I add languages to Adobe Acrobat Pro?
Steps
  1. Go to Control Panel >Programs and Features.
  2. Select Acrobat and and click Change.
  3. Choose Modify and click Next.
  4. Click Languages.
  5. Click on the drop down against the languages that you want to install and select This feature will be installed on the local hard drive.
  6. Click Install.
  7. CTRL+Click on Acrobat.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines