unable to convert large PDFs to searchable files

New Here ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both small [<500 PDF pages] and larger >5000 PDF pages that I need to routinely convert to searchable files. 

The smaller ones work fine, the larger ones act like they will work [I leave them over night] , working on a mac-mini with Acrobat pro -

the larger ones just stop ... never finish processing ... occasionally get error message about font incomptability. 

What can I do to get this to work ? Is there another product that works for converting large files /

Thanks ! 

pauleleazermd@gmail.com

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

I've had similar experiences. What I've done is to break up the document into more manageable sizes (200-500 pages), process them, and then re-combine the results.

Have you tried that yet?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, the amount of ram you have will make a difference. The more ram, the more you can do at a time.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but I am getting these files [i.e. they are hospital files, I am
not scanning them in]- how would I break up an existing PDF file? [ I don't
have the option of asking for smaller file sizes]

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

Go to the Organize Pages Tool. Open the file in there. Click on the first page of the first file and go to page 100, then Shift-click on that file.

Once you selected the page range, then on the top you'll see a button called "Extract." This will open a dropdown strip below that button with several options. You'll see "Delete Pages after Extracting," and "Extract pages as separate files." If you do the first option, it will always be easier to know where you left off. If you do the latter option, keep notes. If you do the former and wish to play it safe, make a duplicate of the entire document before starting. (Always a good idea on things like this.)

If this is successful, go to 200 pages at a time. If successful, go to 300 pages, etc. As soon as it becomes non-functional, go back a step (or two). 

Be careful to take notes and naming each section to make it easier to reassemble in the last step.

Please note: when Acrobat is doing OCR on many-page documents, it cannot work in the background. So, plan on doing other things during this process.

Once you are done, use the Insert option (to the right of Extract), to reassemble the whole document together again.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 21, 2022 May 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This should be easier using the Split feature:

Capture_447.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines