Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to install Acrobat Patch 9.2 on Mac

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2009 Oct 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Case ID: 181226045

Customer is unable to install the Patch 9.2 for Acrobat 9.

Following are notes from customer:

Downloaded 9.2 patch. When attempting to install, message box said original software had been altered in some way and that patch cou
ldn't be installed. I have no idea how software was altered.  Works fine right now. Would prefer not to have to reinstall.

OS is Snow Leopard
Operating System: Macintosh
Has it ever worked? If so, what's changed? (provide comments in description field): Not Applicable
Same results with different file?: Not Applicable
Same results with different computer?: No
Recent System Hardware or Software change?: Yes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 170 Replies 170
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2009 Dec 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kirsten:

Okay..I tried one more time even though I was pretty sure it would be an exercise in futility..actually, this will be the last time I will do a reinstall unless you or someone capable at Adobe actually has a real solution for this preposterous and time consuming update issue.

Here's what I did.  I used the Adobe Acrobat 9 Uninstaller and cleaned off the latest installation I had done yesterday..that's about number 6 or 7..I've lost count.

I then searched for all Adobe files that had anything to do with installation.  I did leave some strange files with a .swtag extension located in some obscure place.  Hopefully, you'll know what these are Kirsten.  I am uploading a screenshot of those.

After the uninstall, I rebooted to make sure the system was clean.

For the enth time I did a reinstall that did require the serial number so that seems to be a pretty accurate sign that I did a complete install.

I then tried to do an update to 9.1.0.  I get the same message as I did on day one... I'm uploading that screen too.

I looked in /library/logs/Adobe and there were no failed update log files so that's another mystery.

According to what the other folks are saying on this blog, they are feeling the same thing I am.  That is that Adobe has a buggy, troublesome update protocol that simply needs fixing by someone competent in software design.  That seems to be lacking in Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.

I'm hoping Kirsten that you can provide a solid end to this folly as I have run out of patience.

thanks for your input...

Aloha, David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2009 Dec 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kirsten..

please see my latest post.

thanks David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2009 Dec 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I found out that the update was successful -- for some reason it initially showed the old version when I checked the About Acrobat box.

I think the thing that did it for me was reinstalling Reader v.9.2. That, I believe, paved the way for Acrobat to update correctly.

Things might still not be entirely right -- I had used Monolingual to strip out language files, and I don't know if future updates will work.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2009 Nov 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Craig,

Appreciate you working on this problem.  I have no recollection of any language removal or executable "thinning", but then again, my memory ain't what it used to be.  Below and attached is the information you've requested, although you lost me on your step #2.  I don't know into what I'm typing "cmd -I".  I did get the Acrobat version number from the "About" panel

Is there a workaround at this point?  Can I get my hands on a "proper" version of the offending binary so the installer will be happy?

Finally, I apologize if this response is is public, I didn't see an obvious way of making the reply private.

Regards,

Jon Winston

Jon@WinstonHome.com

---------

Jon-Winstons-Computer:~ Jon$ sw_vers

ProductName: Mac OS X

ProductVersion: 10.5.8

BuildVersion: 9L30

---------
About Acrobat:
     Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro
     Version 9.1.3
----------
Log files attached.   There were two other log files "... Patch0.log" and "... Patch1.log" which I couldn't attach since the limit of attached files in this reply is 3, so I zipped all 5 files together and attached the single zip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2009 Nov 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have not changed (at least voluntarily) Acrobat 9 in any way, removed languages or done any thinning. However, I cannot install the 9.2 upgrade. In addition, when I try to remove Acrobat using the Uninstaller (after having deactivated Creative Suite CS4), I cannot due it because the Uninstaller doesn't recognize Acrobat as a valid Adobe application to uninstall.

Craig, I have already sent you the files you requested in a private message a few days ago.

I hope that this problem can be solved soon. Thanks for working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2009 Nov 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running OSX 10.6.1. I tried to apply the 9.2 patch, but got the error that the application had been modified. After trying several things, and reading lots of blogs, I remembered I had run a program to clean out language and localization files from OSX. I tried to restore just the German and French localizations, but got the same error. Then I restored Acrobat 9.1.1 from a Time Machine backup in January, 2009, which was before I cleaned out the language files. The patch worked fine over this version, and I am now running 9.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of several cases, I've found two things that created problems for the Acrobat 9.2 patch installer:

1. Removing language files (or any other files) from the Acrobat or Distiller application bundles

2. Running a utility to "thin" binaries by removing PowerPC bits from an Intel-based system

The reason these cause errors for the update installer is because the update does not include entire files for Acrobat 9.2, but instead contains a set of differences between 9.1.3 and 9.2. The differences can only be applied to 9.1.3 as it was released by Adobe. If the update installer were to apply the updates to any other version of Acrobat, either a released version prior to 9.1.3 or to a modified copy of Acrobat, then it runs the risk of creating a random set of binaries that might or might not run. To ensure that it patches only a valid copy of Acrobat, it calculates a checksum (sort of a signature) for each file in Acrobat, and if the checksum doesn't match an expected value, it stops the patch and rolls back any 9.2 changes applied up to that point.

I'm not entirely sure what has caused every single update installer error that people have contacted me about. But I do think that there were some cases that fall into these two categories.

I'll continue to investigate the errors as time permits.

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's one reason why when I nstall a new system I make sure to do a custom install and install everything there is to install with the possible exception of Printer Drivers for Printers I don't use. I Install every langauge OSX is capable of.  Years go when I was was usin 680XX Machines I ran into a problem installing a piece of software. Turns out it was because I only installed English. After I went Back and installed every Language that was availble, was I able to install the software. So afterwards as I installed a news system I install all the languages. Can't say I've had any serious install problems since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2009 Nov 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing language files is what messed things up for me, I believe.  After installing Adobe CS4 on my Mac a few months back, I used Monolingual to remove all language files except English.  Works fine except for the Acrobat 9.2 patch.  Unfortunately I don't have a pre-Monolingual backup.

A friend of mine has a Mac that he didn't modify, and he installed the patch just fine.  I'll try copying his app and see if it works.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2009 Nov 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this isn't my problem.  I have never removed any language files nor have I thinned the universal binaries.  So, this isn't a matter of making sure you install all the languages, etc.

I seem to have a problem with mismatched files.  Reverting all the way back to the 9.0 binary and trying to re-apply the patches didn't resolve the issue.

I think what we need is a full updater which has all the updates as opposed to an incremental updater.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2009 Nov 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me - I never changed anything on the installation (incl. languages) and cannot upgrade; all hints don't change anything.

Maybe this is the wrong forum, but the last months or years Adobe does a VERY poor job for Mac users! Is it necessary to change update procedures with nearly every upgrade? It is necessary to leave Mac GUI conventions more and more and design "windows-like" (which is one thing that makes the applications monster sized). Acrobat Pro is a powerful software, but the GUI today is a catastrophe.

There was a time Adobe for me was "the good boys" in comparison to MS and Quark, but this is past ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2009 Dec 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So as not to look like I forgot about this issue, I wanted to mention that due to the re-organization at Adobe on November 10, I am no longer employed by the company and, consequently, I am no longer working on this issue.

Best of luck to all of you, and I expect you can continue to find information here on the forum, although I won't be part of any "official" company investigations into the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 01, 2009 Dec 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, trying to fix their problems by dumping all their good employees. Good luck Maybe you can go to work for apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2009 Dec 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear your news Craig.

Good luck finding work elsewhere.

How are Adobe planning on the continuation of your work on this I wonder, or was the Adobe pledge to better support just lip service?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2009 Dec 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an FYI that there is an Installer Group at Adobe who does own this issue and they are still looking into the patch issue that some of you are experiencing.

Regards,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve:

Thanks very much for the update from your side of the pond.  From what I can surmise, the Adobe installer team has come upon an issue that seems to be multi-tiered and quite problematic. eg...they have no clue how to fix it.

The reason I say that is because I still have received no response of any value to help address the lack of installability of any upgrades from 9.0.0 up.  Well, I did get the usual tier 1 help screen stuff from the newly hired robots hehe...

Here's where I am right now after months of ineffective Adobe tech support...at the start of this fiasco, I deleted the original 9.1.3 version I had been running when I tried to update to 9.2 and failed... tried a reinstall from the original installer disk I had purchased... even got a new installer courtesy of Adobe and wasted hours and hours trying a reinstall from both of those original disks...requested tech support mulitple times via phone, email and this message board...It's been very unrewarding to say the least.

I think the hugest problem is this amateur, onerous and unnecessary sequential version updating that buries the loyal Adobe customers with unnecessary and obviously now flawed intallation protocols.

There's one other issue that's in play now and that's the security risk of using Acrobat that was supposed to have been addressed with version 9.2 but seems to be uninstallable to many users.. If someone has a major destructive intrusion that was traceable somehow to Acrobat because of its documented vulnerablity, a large lawsuit, even class action one could emanate from it.  It would be wise for Adobe to re-think this issue and drastically improve their installer strategies to ensure their customers can protect themselves.

for the record, here's what I am using:

MacOSX 10.5.8 - MacPro dual quadcore - 10gb ram - 6tb raid

FYI..I've been a Mac Guru since 1984 and also own a software company so I know how this R&D stuff goes hehe.  I also have owned a pile of Adobe apps including Photoshop and Acrobat since version 1.

Aloha, David Talisman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already sent in the files that Craig requested when he was trying to troubleshoot this issue, but I wanted to add that I got the same error message when Adobe Updater wanted to upgrade Adobe Reader. (While I use Acrobat Pro as a rule, I often open PDFs with Reader so I can see how my clients will experience them, and Updater failed saying the application must have been modified since its original installation, just like Pro's 9.2 patch reported.)  Don't know if that's relevant, but I thought I'd throw that out there in case it helps the Adobe detectives out there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 05, 2009 Dec 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent an email to Lori DeFurio, Adobe Acrobat sales and customer enablement manager. I told her about the problem as well as pointed her to this thread.

She has nothing to do with the installer itself, but is an important manager in the Acrobat team.

She sent me an email saying she is "trying to get someone to work on this."

If Lori can't get it fixed, no one can!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just musing here. Snow Leopard is a Full fledge 64 Bit system. I am wondering if the application used by the OS to install programs is 64 bit and the dmg or zip file file is 32 bit. From my understanding (which is very limited on Snow Leopard) 64 bit won't operate 32 bit items? I'm no familar with Snow leopard  My machines won't run it a and Leopard (X.5 would run very slow on one and not at all on another). I know from my PC friends its almost impossible to find 64 bit drivers for things such as printers and scanners, and the 32bit stuff doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  That's incorrect.  A 64-bit OS X 10.6 operating system can run 32-bit applications.  So, the issue is not that the installer is 32-bit.  The issues were pretty well documented previously.  Either the files have been modified by apps which strips languages or thins them or previously installers did not install the correct files so the checksum is failing when the installer checks the existing files.  What is needed is a full installer instead of another incremental installer.  Then all the files could be installed cleanly.

My 2 cents.

Todd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it wasn't said as a Fact it was thinking out loud.

I know there is on one of the faqs at adobe that in order to run the automator action for print Adobe quality PDF that your supposed to  switch automator to 32 bit.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/512/cpsid_51248.html

I was just wonder if the same thing could cause this.

Iknow PC is et up to auto shift from 64 to 32. But don't know if Snow leopard  does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

A while back I sent you a private message where I outlined how many times you have not been at all helpful regarding this issue.

You have made up suppositions that have nothing to do with the problem.

You have ignored statements that outlined the exact systems that have the problem.

And you have contributed nonsensical input that has nothing to do with the problem at all.

All this without any actual experience dealing with this issue.

You managed to keep yourself out of the discussion for a while.

Now, you once again decided that you know better than any of the engineers at Adobe.

And once again you have gone back to a fact regarding Snow Leopard that has been proven to have nothing to do with the problem. How do I know this? Because I am not running Snow Leopard and I have the problem!

Ordinarily I would not say this in a public forum, but you have insisted on interjecting your comments on this thread even after it was made clear by an Adobe representative that the issue was far more complex than originally thought.

Phillip: Don't butt into discussions about which you have no knowledge or worthwhile input!

Truly!

You have not contributed one thing that has helped anyone with the problem!

And your thinking out loud is a waste of bandwidth.

Many of us have alerts set to let us know if new messages have been added to the discussion.

At this point, I would rather not have to wade through your out loud thoughts!

You just don't have the credentials on this topic to be taken seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The comment was musing ( a what if you will) IT WAS NOT STATED AS A FACT!

And I posted a Tech doucument That Adobe has out, if you had clicked the link and read it you would understand  why I was putting out the what if. wondering if the mechanism used to install is 32bit.

On PC's supposedly if they use a 64bit system they automatically down shift, or will run a 32 bit item. But Snow Leopard is a whole new ball game. Do we even know if Snow Leopard which is 64 bit will automatically downshift like windows or not. (why would adobe even mention the possibility of having to change an application to 32 bit). Also why does Snow Leopard Applications have a way to switch them from 64 to 32 bit. I've read  from apple that for now in order to have Safari compatiblity with certain internet plugins, you have to run as a 32 bit application. Which leads to the thought (not set in stone idea, not stated fact) that maybe they can't shift from one to the other.

Who knows what the problem is it could be that 9.2 istaller don't like the current Snow Leopard versions.

I am sorry that I can not provide the perfection to which you subscribe. I am humn I have failings.

Thank you!

Phillip M Jones, C.E.T.

PS: read this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2446846#2446846

This might be helpful. (Note I said might be. It is not a stated fact. Its a suggestion)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2009 Dec 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI: I posted this on another thread but thought it would be useful here as well.

Hi everyone,

After struggling with this issue for a long time, as many in this forum have, I DID IT!

Before I tell you how, here's my configuration:

Macbook Pro, OSX 10.5.8, Acrobat Pro 9.0.0 installed. I could not get it to update it to any version at all. Worse, I could not uninstall it either. It was just stuck there. (My hunch is that with all my attempts to update, something got corrupted.) In addition, just clicking on the program icon would slow Finder down to a crawl. This was going on for months....

So I decided to go for broke. Downloaded AppCleaner and zapped Acrobat Pro 9 plus whatever associated files it pointed to. I don't know how clean of an uninstall it was, but it worked (and I think it was an essential part of the process) ....

Then I re-installed Acrobat Pro 9.0 from my original CS4 CDs.

Then I downloaded and installed all of the Acrobat Pro patches released since CS4 came out --

Please note: you need them ALL:  9.1.0 -- 9.1.1 -- 9.1.2 -- 9.1.3-- and finally 9.2.0.

And ta - ta, success finally!

By the way, it sounds far more complicated and time-consuming than it was. Before I did this, every single attempt took longer than this entire process because of the way Acrobat Pro was crippling Finder (just to update the patches, the program ran just fine).

Hope this helps!

Good luck, and don't give up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Dec 08, 2009 Dec 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too complicated for my situation.

I will wait for Adobe to come up with a fix for the installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines