• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to read file (109)

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just sank 15.5 hours straight into a pdf document. This is a report for work that includes excel sheets exported to pdf and lots of photos. 

I was approximately 140 pages into this document. 

This is the first time I've gone over 100 pages. 

I typically complete the document and then compress it, so with this one being incomplete it's sitting at 479,515 KB...

I've been saving every two pages or so. I'm nearing the end, only 5 or 6 pages to go and when I hit save, it gave me an error saying it couldn't save because it couldn't read the file (109). 

I tried the save, save as, and compress pdf options. Both locally and to my Google drive where these reports are stored. And each time I got the same results. 

At that point I closed the program and restarted the computer thinking I'd lose my most recent work but I could start back at my last save. Unfortunately, now I get the message that Adobe Acrobat could not open the file because either the file type is not supported (it's a PDF built in Acrobat Pro) or it has been damaged "(for example, if it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)" 

And it suggests going to the source application and printing the document to pdf. 

Acrobat is the source application. It hasn't been emailed or anything funny. It didn't give me any trouble with any previous saves. 

Please help! I do not want to lose 16 hours worth of work when I'm already past my deadline (hence the double shifts). 

If it matters 

HP laptop running Windows 11

Acrobat Pro (64 bit) subscription 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your best approach for a complex and time consuming project is to adjust the document creation methodology so that there is a way to recover the last change. Perhaps saving the current good document to a backup folder. 

You haven't stated how the document is being created, but it sounds like pages are created from different document types and then inserted into it.  This technique is sensitive to differences in the internal page features/format of the different documents that may not be apparent in the display. It's possible that combining incompatible files will result in a broken PDF.  If you have the ability to recover the last working document, then you'd know which doc was the problem, and might be able to fix it before combining. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I was able to use Windows document history to open a previous save only costing me about a half hour's labor. 

I had an issue with fonts not displaying properly, but mostly it was intact. I scrolled through replacing the missing letters and was able to save and compress from there. I'm honestly new to all this. First office job. Been a manual labor guy all my life. I'm not bad at following directions, but this is like reading another language. Lots to learn just to navigate basic functions.  

Anyway,  I'm importing pages from excel, and building the rest in Acrobat Pro, adding photos and text boxes, and dragging em around as needed. It's not like I'm tossing in lots of mixed media. Idk honestly.  But this work around saved my butt and now I'm tentatively good. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines