• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unwanted bookmarks when merging pdfs

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When merging multiple pdfs, Acrobat creates a bookmark with the filename wherever i inserted another document. How can I prevent that?

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Acrobat_ywOpqnqZXQ.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several ways to merge PDFs, which one do you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the merge tool in acrobat pro dc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean "Combine Files into PDF"? If so, you can disable adding bookmarks via the Options button in that dialog, and then un-ticking "Always add bookmarks to Adobe PDF".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I mean that tool and I know about the option you're talking about. But if untick it, there's no Bookmarks in the merged PDF at all and I want the bookmarks to be shown. My problem is following:

I have 10-page PDF with cover sheets (lets call it cover.pdf). When I insert another PDF (lets call it chapter.pdf) after one of those cover sheets (e.g. the second one) my index looks like this:

cover.pdf

title of first coversheet

title of second coversheet

chapter.pdf

cover (somehow without the .pdf suffix)

title of third coversheet

title of fourth coversheet

and so on...

What I want is an index without multiple entries showing the filename of the cover.pdf (with or without suffix)

I want it to look like this:

title of first coversheet

title of second coversheet

chapter.pdf

title of third coversheet

title of fourth coversheet

and so on...

I hope you can help me, thx in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a similar probelm. Trying to combine multiple pdfs and Adobe just throws the bookmarks into a blender. Missing multiple, changing bookmark names, re-organizing. It's all over the place. Cannot standardize it or change it in a way that will not only preserve the previous booksmarks, but also add new ones for each pdf being added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I want to combine PDF files that are already bookmarked but I don't want the new bookmarks created from the file names of the original files. This problem occurs both when combining from within Acrobat and when using the Windows context menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open one PDF file.

Use Tools > Organize Pages

Insert the other PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work. I chose the first PDF file and but there is no "Organize Pages" in Tools, just "Insert Pages" and the "Insert from File" is greyed out. "Combine Files into PDF" is visible but that removes all the bookmarks that were in the individual files. "More Insert Options" has only "Insert from Clipboard", "Insert from Scanner", "Add to PDF from Web Page", and "Insert Blank Page", the 1st and 4th of which are greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, the file was in read-only mode. I was able to insert pages but new bookmarks named with the file name are still created. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Adobe Acrobat does you use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Pro 11.0.23

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I can't help you with this old version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what version was this problem fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot below is Acrobat DC, I can't remember where but this option also exists somewhere in Acrobat 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just purchased Acrobat Pro DC and tried to merge documents in the web app, but the same problem of unwanted bookmarks occurs. I have not yet installed a local copy - does anyone know whether this problem was solved with the local copy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat_ywOpqnqZXQ.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines