• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updated Acrobat Pro to 8.2.4 Now it will not launch.

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated my Acrobat 8 Pro to 8.2.4 and I get an error message that says

"Adobe Acrobat Professional 8 cannot be launched at this time. You must launch at least one other suite component . . . "

I am on a Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon running OS 10.6.4.  I use Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium, which is activated for the computer I use.

I have never had this problem when updating Acrobat before. What does it mean by "you must launch at least one other suite component  . . ."? I opened Photoshop CS3 but that did not solve this.

What is the solution? How can I get Acrobat Pro to work?

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 21, 2010 Aug 21, 2010

I wish I had noticed the detail that this update was only for

v10.4.11 - 10.5.5. I too am running 10.5.8 and had this problem. My fix was to ONLY use Time Machine to replace the Acrobat program only. Not the folder, not prefs, not anything else. I restored a pre-update version of Acrobat 8.2.3 and when Time Machine asked if I wanted to replace the original or keep both, I said keep both. I then opened the restored 8.2.3 version a few times, checking most fuctionalities. I then trashed the Acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 146 Replies 146
Aug 20, 2010 Aug 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone.

Add one more to the list. I'm extremely p.o.'d. I also need to get some things done in Acrobat. Not only will it not stay open and I get the same error message, it also crashes when I need to use it inside of Safari to read PDFs. What gives Adobe????HELP!!!!!

I'm on an iMac running OS10.5.8. I also usually wait for others to test an update, but could find no posts when I checked and since it was a security issue, went ahead and updated to Acrobat 8.2.4. I unfortunately do not update my programs with backup, so no go there.

We need a patch, Adobe, and we need it yesterday.

Hang in there everybody. At least it's comforting to know that we're in this together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too! Hurry up and fix it Acrobat!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

In reference to the Mac Vegas thing, I am pretty sure that is just the developer group name. It has been on the suite products for some time, since CS2 I'm pretty sure. Again, if you have a backup of the previous Acrobat, try replacing the updated one. I think you can also, as someone suggested earlier, just re-install Acrobat from your Suite discs. Certainly worth a try.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

just checked an outdated Mac installation with V. 8.1.1: program info window states "Mac Vegas" license and serial no., too. Seems to be a very old issue and not related to the current update problem.

Regards

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick note to agree with Bryan Rodgers. I got my original CS3 DVD and reinstalled Acrobat Pro 8.0, then downloaded/installed each of the Pro updates one by one until I got Acrobat Pro back to the un-screwed 8.2.3. Back to normal again. (And have turned off auto-update in Prefs, too.) Thanks for the tips, everyone. Hope Adobe figures this out soon.

FYI, am running OS X 10.5.8 on a Mac Pro Dual Quad-Core Xeon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I last checked the updater was still available for manual download (although I'm not sure about the a

utomatic download).  Can't Adobe at least spare some folks the hell we are going through?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have fallen into this group of non working Acrobat. I now cannot work, thanks ADOBE! I ususally don't update my acrobat since I really only use it to read files and there's nothing really "new" ever in those updates. Anyhoo, will I get an email when the Adobe employee finds a solution? I do not have the time to go back and fiind older updates or reinstall software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Updated without thinking, something I'm usually wary of, and now I'm paying for my foolishness.

Running OS 10.5.8 with CS3 extended.  Now I'm really stuck. How and when will we be notified of the fix I wonder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now when I look at the download page, it says the 8.2.4 upgrade is only for Mac OS X v10.4.11 - 10.5.5. (see http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4767)

I'm running 10.5.8, but yet autoupdate kicked in and told me I needed to install it. Is that part of the problem? We were hoodwinked into installing an unsuitable upgrade for our system software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does it with 10.4.11 too.  That's not the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe KB Document: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/861/cpsid_86169.html

Issue

Macintosh Adobe Acrobat 8.2.4 is unable to launch after applying the Acrobat 8.2.4 Update from the auto-update mechanism.

This issue appears only to impact the version of  Macintosh Acrobat 8.2.4 that is included with the Creative Suite 3.

Solution

Adobe is currently working on a comprehensive solution for Macintosh Acrobat 8.2.4 but in the meantime has take steps to ensure that more users are not impacted.

As a pro-active step Adobe has done reversal of Mac 8.x manifest and rolled it back to 8.2.3 level. So Acrobat will not update to 8.2.4 automatically now it will go upto 8.2.3 only. Unfortunately this means that the  Mac Reader 8 will also not update to 8.2.4.

If you have already installed the Acrobat 8.2.4 Update and are experiencing the launch issue.  Adobe is recommending that  a reinstall Acrobat 8 from CS3 installation media (this will install 8.0.0), and then check for updates; it will take the installation up to Acrobat 8.2.3 (in a few steps).

Additional information

If you have Adobe Acrobat 8.x installed that is not part of a Creative Suite 3 installation you can manually update your application via the Downloads Acrobat for Macintosh page.

If you have Adobe Reader 8.x installed you can manually update update your application via the Downloads Adobe Reader for Macintosh page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2010 Aug 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spent the last two hours reinstalling and then downloading/installing updates (quite a few steps between 8 and 8.2.3) but I can only get as far as 8.1.5 as 8.1.6 refuses to install. Tried several times. Any suggestions? Thanks. Running OS 10.6.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate that Adobe is working on a solution (which I suspect will contain some variation of uninstall and re-install), but that does not lessen the impact this is having now. The least Adobe could do is package all those incremental updates into a single zip so that one download gets them all, or better yet, a single update file to take an installation from its original version to the current.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2010 Aug 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE's Cordero says that the fix is to reinstall and then go thru multiple updates ...

Is this the FINAL solution? Adobe does not plan to deploy a fix and will compel everyone to reinstall their software after downloading the Adobe-distributed destructo-virus?

I get paid by the HOUR ... can I get a credit from Adobe for my next CS upgrade? Or maybe a check?

This so-called FIX will cost me time, and time is money. Adobe stuff is not cheap ... it is a premium product with a premium price - it should have both premium reliability and premium fixes when the reliability fails.

This "too-bad" response from Adobe would be something I would expect from Dell. But we use macs and Adobe for a reason. I guess THIS is not the reason, eh?

THANKS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, call it a coincidence, but I lost contact with both printers and a scanner during the "Acrobat Outage" ... I got my IT consultant in (I am freelance working out of my home) and $250 later had reinstalled Acrobat and had a working shop again. We did a couple of other necessary upgrades, but I feel that the Acrobat problem caused me a real cash outlay and I resent it.

Appreciated the confirmation that reinstalling from CS3, just Acrobat, was the way to go. It worked over here! Took a long time to accomplish, however, and I was out of my depth to isolate the one program from the others.

My IT guy followed the instructions from Steve Cordero and they did work:

Adobe KB Document: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/861/cpsid_86169.html

h3. Issue
Macintosh Adobe Acrobat 8.2.4 is unable to launch after applying the Acrobat 8.2.4 Update from the auto-update mechanism.
This issue appears only to impact the version of  Macintosh Acrobat 8.2.4 that is included with the Creative Suite 3.
h3. Solution
Adobe is currently working on a comprehensive solution for Macintosh Acrobat 8.2.4 but in the meantime has take steps to ensure that more users are not impacted.

As a pro-active step Adobe has done reversal of Mac 8.x manifest and rolled it back to 8.2.3 level. So Acrobat will not update to 8.2.4 automatically now it will go upto 8.2.3 only. Unfortunately this means that the  Mac Reader 8 will also not update to 8.2.4.

If you have already installed the Acrobat 8.2.4 Update and are experiencing the launch issue.  Adobe is recommending that  a reinstall Acrobat 8 from CS3 installation media (this will install 8.0.0), and then check for updates; it will take the installation up to Acrobat 8.2.3 (in a few steps).
h3. Additional information
If you have Adobe Acrobat 8.x installed that is not part of a Creative Suite 3 installation you can manually update your application via the http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=1&platform=Macintosh page.

If you have Adobe Reader 8.x installed you can manually update update your application via the http:// http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=10&platform=Macintosh page.

--------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent to: Pluto Girl

To post a reply to the thread message, either reply to this email or visit the message page:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/3070951#3070951

--end--

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume the "comprehensive solution" will be 8.2.5.  I'm waiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

PLEASE! post any trial version of ACROBAT 8 for MAC which we could download and start to work again. I am really getting dissatisfied with this!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2010 Sep 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done what you suggested, Steve, but nothing works for me.

1. I uninstalled and then reinstalled Acrobat from my CS3 disk. Acrobat continued to crash after dozens of tries and rebooting. I could not even attempt to update the reinstalled Acrobat since it crashed immediately upon appearing on screen. Thus the recent revised update Adobe issued (only possible from 8.2.3) is ineffectual for me.

2. I reinstalled the entire CS3 from my CS3 disk. Acrobat continued to crash after many tries and rebooting. I fear uninstalling the entire CS3 since I might find that nothing will work (same results as above). (FYI---My CS3 was an update from Adobe.)

3. Thus last week I broke down and ordered CS5. Since I uninstalled Acrobat (#1 above) and reinstalled it I have this question.

QUESTION: Could I have damaged by Adobe authorization in my Library will this impact my use of CS5 or Acrobat when I install the total suite? If so, how can I avoid this?

Conclusion: Adobe's 8.2.4 update has made a very time consuming blunder which has cost many of us hours/days of frustration and loss of money. Since I reinstalled Acrobat (#1 and #2 above) it is impossible to go back to 8.2.3. This leave me (and probably many others) even more frustrated with Adobe. Have they bitten off too much to chew in attempting to integrate all the programs in the CS and turn Acrobat into a super interface? It must be a nightmare for programmers, but please try not to foul up in future updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having failed to get beyond 8.1.5 with repeated software updates (8.1.6 won't install) I tried downloading the 8.1.6 update from the Adobe website in order to try installing it that way. But that doesn't work either: trying to install that opens Acrobat, the installer then tells me to quit Acrobat, but Acrobat won't quit.

Is anybody else stuck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel for your situation Albert.

In true Adobe style those caught up in their mess are being told:

That is a few steps to get the basics up and running again, Adobe are quite happy to leave users to spend hours getting back to the needed set up.

My MO is to refresh the Clone of my Mac OS X HDD following application updates, given this latest Adobe issue it will be essential to fully test future updates before cloning is carried out.

I thank goodness for Time Machine which saved the situation from being a total disaster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly I just crashed my truck into your wall and knocked it down. The reason for this is that I wasn't being careful.

Here's what you should do: you still have all the bricks so go and get some cement and build it again. This may take a few steps.

Meanwhile I'm going to solve the problem by going away to work on a method of being more careful when I drive.

I feel that this is a fair and reasonable solution.

-ends-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, mackerr. Luckily I have Time Machine. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Needless to say I am waiting until this truly is FIXED before I attempt to reinstall. I'm a slightly more casual user, but my sympathies go out to those who are trying to get their work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2010 Aug 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was caught by the same trap -- updated to 8.2.4 on a MacBook Pro (OS 10.5.8) and now Acrobat Professional won't launch.  I get the same error message ("launch another suite component") as everyone else and it doesn't work for me either.

I'm a University professor, our term is about to start, and I'm trying to update my lectures -- I don't have time for this.  If this is how Adobe works these days, I may never upgrade to the new CS -- or encouage my students to do so. These programs are supposed to be tools, not time sinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2010 Aug 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue, has anyone found a quick fix?

I need my adobe please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines