• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updated Acrobat Pro to 8.2.4 Now it will not launch.

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated my Acrobat 8 Pro to 8.2.4 and I get an error message that says

"Adobe Acrobat Professional 8 cannot be launched at this time. You must launch at least one other suite component . . . "

I am on a Mac Pro Quad-Core Intel Xeon running OS 10.6.4.  I use Adobe Creative Suite 3 Design Premium, which is activated for the computer I use.

I have never had this problem when updating Acrobat before. What does it mean by "you must launch at least one other suite component  . . ."? I opened Photoshop CS3 but that did not solve this.

What is the solution? How can I get Acrobat Pro to work?

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 21, 2010 Aug 21, 2010

I wish I had noticed the detail that this update was only for

v10.4.11 - 10.5.5. I too am running 10.5.8 and had this problem. My fix was to ONLY use Time Machine to replace the Acrobat program only. Not the folder, not prefs, not anything else. I restored a pre-update version of Acrobat 8.2.3 and when Time Machine asked if I wanted to replace the original or keep both, I said keep both. I then opened the restored 8.2.3 version a few times, checking most fuctionalities. I then trashed the Acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 146 Replies 146
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2010 Aug 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a new thread entitled:

reinstalling Acrobat 8.0.0 not a fix for update to mac Acrobat 8.2.4 problem

May the force be with us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 26, 2010 Aug 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is now a fix for customers who have already installed the Adobe Acrobat (CS3) for Macintosh Updated 8.2.4.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/861/cpsid_86169.html

Adobe Acrobat 8.2.4 (CS3) for Macintosh: Unable to launch Acrobat after applying security update

Issue

Macintosh Adobe Acrobat 8.2.4 (CS3) for Macintosh is unable to launch after applying the Acrobat 8.2.4 Update via the auto-update mechanism in the product.

This issue appears only to impact only the version of Adobe Acrobat 8.2.4 (CS3) for Macintosh that is included with the Adobe Creative Suite 3.

Solution

Adobe has released a new Acrobat 8.2.4 Update via the auto-update mechanism for Adobe Acrobat 8.2.3 (CS3) for Macintosh. Adobe recommends that you check for updates by choosing Help>Check for Update from the Adobe Acrobat menu bar.  You will be prompted to install all Adobe Acrobat product updates to version 8.2.4.

If your system has Adobe Acrobat 8 which came with any of the CS3 suite and updating on Adobe Acrobat 8.2.4 (CS3) for Macintosh started giving you “Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot be launched at this time. You must launch at least one other suite component...” as described in the kb article http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/861/cpsid_86169.html , the utility can be used to patch the corrupt files in Acrobat 824 that are causing the failure.

File Information

Filename: AcroFix824_Delivery.dmg

Usage Notes

1. Double click  ‘AcroFix824_Delivery.dmg’ to mount the disc image
  2. Open the mounted disc image and double click AcroFix824 utility to run it
  3. Browse to ‘Adobe Acrobat Professional’ application to be patched from ‘Choose a File dialog’
  4. Enter the admin credentials in authenticate dialog
  5. Wait for the files to be patched
  6. Click OK when the utility notifies with ‘Patched Successfully’ message

Additional information

If your installation of Adobe Acrobat 8.x for Macintosh was not part of the Adobe Creative Suite 3 installation you can manually update your application via the Downloads Acrobat for Macintosh Downloads  page.

If you have Adobe Reader 8.x for Macintosh installed, you can manually update update your application via the Downloads Adobe Reader for Macintosh Downloads page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is now a fix for customers who have already installed the Adobe Acrobat (CS3) for Macintosh Updated 8.2.4.

Yay!

I tried the fix and, so far, so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad there is now a fix for 8.2.4, however this is no use to me as I have uninstalled Acrobat, intending to reinstall it. How do I get my original product back? It was preinstalled on my computer when I bought it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did the trick for me, and I didn't have to do anything weird or unusual. Thanks!

RR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2010 Aug 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all! The following fix seems to work!

Ciao!

‘AcroFix824_Delivery.dmg’

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe recommends that you check for updates by choosing Help>Check for Update from the Adobe Acrobat menu bar."

Well, yeah, but I've already updated to 8.2.4. It's broken. I don't know if there is a NEW 8.2.4, but Acrobat thinks it's updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

double post

Message was edited by: turner111

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated mine last night using my original CS3 disk as suggested. Uninstalled Acrobat Pro 8.2.4 and reinstalled and all went well.

Haven't done any updates yet so I'm still at 8.0.0. Works just fine.

Only took about 45 minute on an older G4 running 10.4.11.

Thank goodness it went well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarted. Ran update again.

Fixed.

Yay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gotta say, this was a very good support experience.  One I didn't need to actively participate in.

I found the forum, found the issue, subscribed to the thread and watched the resolution roll in... and from the manufacturer nonetheless, not a hack generated by a desperate user community.

Nice work Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2010 Aug 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Time Machine fix works.

I was having the same infuriating problem on OS 10.6.4 with Acrobat 8.2.4 not launching.

Go back in Time Machine before your update, select Adobe Acrobat Professional from your applications folder, and hit restore. I'm now working on Acrobat 8.2.3 and it's holding up just fine. Unfortunately, if you don't have Time Machine, Adobe sort of screws you with this.

I didn't do the restore right away because I thought, mistakenly, that Adobe would launch another update shortly after 8.2.4 to address this. Shame on them for ignoring this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2010 Aug 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, not exactly now. If one did not had the time machine, then fix is available by applying fix_patch @

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2010 Aug 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long before Adobe gets this problem fixed?

Doesn't anyone there test this crap out before they launch it?

You guys really screwed up big time on this one!

I am thoroughly irritated at this inconvenience.

-Rick Vaughn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am so disappointed. I uninstalled twice now, and i made sure all the files that were listed by adobe in the forums were deleted.

Now it says that it cannot complete the update because the file has been deleted.

How can it be deleted when I just ran the installation program? (CS3 Design Stndrd., Mac Snow Leopard 10.6.4.

Thanks for any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried restoring the earlier version of  Acrobat Pro from your Time Machine? If you had an earlier version, go in and find that Acrobat Pro 8 folder in the Time Machine and restore the entire folder (replace the original when it asks what to do). It worked well for me. And I am not updating it when the auto update message pops up.

Or go to the forum thread below:

reinstalling Acrobat 8.0.0 not a fix for update to mac  Acrobat 8.2.4 problem

I believe Adobe made fixes for the problem. Not sure, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Was hoping to use the newer version, but i may return to the one that works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to this link. Some say this has worked for them:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this. If this is the 8.2.4 fix, though, i can't even make it to 8.2.4, so i can't patch it.  i think i'll just get it out of Time Machine, because right now it is acrobat pro that i desperately need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2010 Sep 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem with Acrobat 8.2.4. I tried the solution offered on this thread---but without success. I first tried to reinstall from my CS3 CDs without uninstalling (for fear of losing authorization in my library), but the installed 8.0.0 simply crashed upon loading, over and over again. Then I tried uninstalling the 8.0.0 and reinstalling it from my CS3 CDs. It came up for a moment but then crashed and continued to crash shortly after loading, a total of five tries. The second time (when it was up for a moment) I tried to get my download of the first patch to bring me up to 8.1.? thinking that might help, but when it asked me which Acrobat I wanted to update, the Acrobat which I had just installed was not an option (not lit)---and there are of course no others. Thus I am left for even longer with no Acrobat. Any ideas from anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2010 Sep 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are going to have to uninstall your CS software before you can reinstall it. You have uninstall instructions in your uninstaller folder. Follow them closely. It involves inserting your install CD and choosing the uninstall option.

After you have finished uninstalling your software, reinstall it all and update to Acrobat 8.2.3. I would still leave the 8.2.4 alone for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2010 Nov 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I received the update for 8.2.5 and now everything is working correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines