• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use multiple font options within one field?

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can the settings for a field allow for form user to enter a special character from two different fonts? I want the form user to be able to type one of three characters that they would choose: 1) a blank space, 2) a diamond shape symbol from the Wingdings 2 font, or 3) a horizontal bar (thin solid rectangle) from the Arial font.  It appears the Properties options for each field only allow me to choose a single font. Any ideas?  Thanks!

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

I don't think you'll be able to do it, but you're welcome to try...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the field's Properties, Options tab, and tick the "Allow Rich Text Formatting" box.

Then go back to the normal viewing mode and click into the field. Press Ctrl+E.

A floating toolbar will appear and you'll be able to set different parts of the text in the field to use different fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that I can set different fonts at different places within a single field, however, I would like the form user to be able to choose either the special character from the Wingdings 2 font, OR the special character from the Arial font. 

Might the solution be to create my own custom font?  And if so, is there a way to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For clarification, I said in my last post" . . . I would like the form user to be able to choose either the special character from the Wingdings 2 font, OR the special character from the Arial font."  What I mean is, I would like them to have the choice at any given point within the field.  Unfortunately, the two characters I want them to choose from (for each space in which they can type) come from two different fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what you mean. You want to allow them only these characters? You might be able to do it using a custom validation script, or something like that, although I don't think you'll be able to control which font they selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, only these characters.  So within a long single line of text, at each spot in the line they need to enter one of four characters:

1) A solid diamond shape bullet from the Wingdings 2 font, OR

2) A line segment (horizontal rectangle) from the Arial font, OR

3) A solid black square bullet from the Wingdings 2 font, OR

4) A blank space.

Each character the user types in the line of text will have one of these four values.  Only these four values can be options.

If it helps, the purpose of this form is for users to create a line graph with very specific requirements and using very specific symbols.

If you advise, I will start researching "custom validation script."   Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you'll be able to do it, but you're welcome to try...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I will look into using  "custom validation script" as a way to have options for special characters from multiple fonts used in a single field.

I appreciate your help on this challenging problem.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might consider a different approach. Instead of having the user enter characters from a particular font, have them enter the characters in a single font and then convert it to the text you want. For example, the V character could indicate a diamond, a hyphen indicate the horizontal line, and an H for the square. You could use a custom keystroke script to limit entry to these characters, plus a space. A validate script could convert these characters to the characters you want using the fonts you want.

Another approach might be to include 4 buttons corresponding to the 4 possible characters. Pressing a button would add that character to the end of the string in the field, using the appropriate font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't seem to be able to change the different parts in the field. How do you go about doing this exactly? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does it have the "Allow Rich Text Formatting" option enabled, as mentioned above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines