• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Web Browsers Repeatedly Hijack PDF File Extension

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit on all user PCs, with Adobe Acrobat DC (Reader), Chrome and EdgeChromium installed too.  Many users experience Chrome or Edge hijacking the PDF file extention so that PDF files accessed from, for example, Explorer or Outlook open in one of the browsers instead of in Acrobat DC.

If we reset the PDF file assocation back to Actobat DC (via Explorer as well as via Windows Defaults), it works for a while (usually a week or more) but then the file assoication switches back to a browser.  I have tried enabling the Adobe Acrobat browser extension but this too hasn't helped.

I have spent days researching & trying various fixes, but none work permanently.

What am I missing?  What is messing with the file associations and causing them to change?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not to be disrespectful in any way or to come accross as rude,  but the proprietary web engine for Micrososft Edge is EdgeHTML and not Chromium.

Chromium is an opensource project built on proprietary source code from Google Chrome; Google  Chrome was developed by Google and its proprietary source code is a cross-platform engine that took some components from Mozilla and Apple WebKit probably over a decade ago.

If there is a Microsoft Edge browser version using Chromium as its engine source, I am highly interested in knowing where can I download it?

As far as Internet Explorer (IE) it is already phased out. 

If you're having those issues in your organization, you'll probably want to setup Microsoft Edge in IE Mode first:

Also, just recently I answered to another user having a similar issue with Chrome. See if the tips provided can assist you:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines