• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Website

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I have a field in my fillable PDF asking for a web address.

However there is no way to format this field into a hyperlink so the webiste can be clicke.d

It just shows up as text that looks like a webpage without the underline (hyperlink)

Does anyone have a workaround?

TIA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the text field as having Rich Text Formatting (via the Options tab in the field's Properties), and then select the text, press Ctrl+E, click More and under the Link tab you'll be able to add a hyperlink to it. You would then be able to open the link by Ctrl+Clicking on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Try67.

Thanks for the response, but its not quite what i wanted.

I need the end user to type in their website into the fillable form and then have this converted into a link to that website once they either scroll to the next field or click enter.

ie the entry should be able to be formatted as a hyperlink.

Hope this is a bit clearer.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF is not hypertext markup language.

In order to change Example.com to an active hyperlink, it must first be wrapped inside an HTML anchor tag like this.

<a href="https://example.com/">Example.com</a>

I hope that helps clarify.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can sort of do that.   A formatting script can do exactly what try67 suggested, it can format the field as rich text with an underline. If the text is truely an URL then some PDF viewers will recognize the URL text in the edit field as a link.

Alternatively you can make the URL text the caption on a button. You can make a button look just like link text on the page. Do this from either a validation or custom format script.  Then use a MouseUP script on the button to run this code

app.launchURL(this.getField("URLField").value);

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you convert the actual text field itself into a link, then the user won't be able to edit its contents, unless you use the method I described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All - thanks for the answers and tips. However, i am not a software developer or skilled at the intricacies of Adobe. I am using this package for the first time.

I have tried to follow the tips, but cant seem to understand the steps involved and hence not getting anywhere.

If at all possible are you able to step by step any of these processes. That would be a big help.

The rest of my form is looking great - just the website and emails that re giving me the biggest grief.

I have attached a snip of my fillable form. So when the client fills in the blue section and sends me the finished doc. I want to then be able to click on the box and have it take me to their website without any further manipulation.

MarkN_0-1630625878213.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not so difficult to copy & paste a URL into your browser's address bar, is it? 

•     Windows:  Ctrl + C = copy.  Ctrl + V = paste.
  •     Mac:  Cmd + C = copy.  Cmd + V = paste.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy - i do know that, but thats not what i want to achieve with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can use this code as the field's Mouse Up event:

if (event.target.value!="" && event.modifier) app.launchURL(event.target.value);

It will launch the URL when the user holds down Ctrl when clicking the field (if it's not empty).

Otherwise it will become very annoying to edit it, as the URL will be launched each time they try to edit it.

You can set the field's display properties so that it looks like a link independently of this script (blue text, underlined border, etc.), via the Appearance tab of the Properties dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines