• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Weird behaviour trying to edit PDF - Arabic numerals substituted

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2023 Nov 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having issues recently when trying to make edits to existing PDF's.

For example, with a simple bit of text like this (in Calibri font, nothing exotic):

KeithSWD_0-1699107859388.png

I can change a bit of the text like this:

KeithSWD_1-1699107903533.png

But as soon as I attempt to change or add any numeric characters I get Arabic numerals:

KeithSWD_2-1699107974666.png

I have uninstalled and re-installed Acrobat. I also tried setting the Default font for Text Editing in Preferences. Neither made any difference.

I am using the latest version of Acrobat for Windows (v23). I have Windows 11 also latest patches applied.

I am editing PDF's on the SAME computer that I created them with. So all fonts used originally are available when editing.

What on earth is going on!!  Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

After some unhelpful and completely erroneous bot responses from AdobeCare.24x7, I finally called Adobe support. Under Preferences>Language, for some reason the x64 Acrobat that has recently installed as part of CC, Application Language was set as English with Arabic Support. I have no idea why Arabic Support was installed, nor why having that support would only affect typing numerals in the way it did. However, setting it to 'Same as Operating System' appears to have fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

1. can you look at File > Properties > Fonts tab.
  2. when you highlight the new text, in Edit mode, in the formatting options in the panel on the right side of the screen. What font is listed?

Can you share screenshots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric

I would love to show some screenshots of that, but since re-installing Acrobat I am now greeted with a grey rectangle on which there is a blue spinning wheel. I cannot dismiss it, or do anything with the app except kill it with Task Manager.

But I do know that before this was happening, if I highlighted the text, the properties showed the font as Calibri. Interestingly, if I highlighted the block of text inlcuding the Arabic numerals, and changed the font, everything changed EXCEPT the Arabic numbers.  It really is odd.

Current view:

KeithSWD_0-1699116428012.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some unhelpful and completely erroneous bot responses from AdobeCare.24x7, I finally called Adobe support. Under Preferences>Language, for some reason the x64 Acrobat that has recently installed as part of CC, Application Language was set as English with Arabic Support. I have no idea why Arabic Support was installed, nor why having that support would only affect typing numerals in the way it did. However, setting it to 'Same as Operating System' appears to have fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2023 Nov 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have guessed that the "Hindi Digits" setting was ticked.

Abambo_0-1699724747597.png

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou!! This fixed mine when switching the application language did not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had exactly the same issue and your tip about language preferences solved it. Thank you! Why does software change stuff without your knowledge or permission to then break it?!??!? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines