• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which ECMA version is used in Acrobat X?

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In learning and levereging JavaScript inside Acrobat batch-file scripting, I seem to have hit a conceptual brick wall with array methods.  I'm speculating that this impasse maybe because some of these methods such as forEach()  are not part of the 'core' Javascript.

Searching the web for definitive correlation between Javascript versions and ECMA versions has turned up nothing for me.  I realize that I have to filter out and be careful with JavaScript content I am learning which is currently and largely targeting web applicaitons

Referring to Adobe's JavaScript for Acrobat API Reference (SDK Version 8.1 - 2007) on page 35, it says that Acrobat version using Javascript version 1.6. while Acrobat X uses Javascript 1.8 found here.

I ask here if anyone can point me toward discussion that can clarify under the current scope of JavaScript for Acrobat API the core set of allowable generic JavaScript objects and methods?

Thanks

TOPICS
JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my experience, the documentation can't really be trusted on this. I only use 1.6 features, as I can't presume anything beyond that will work on all versions where the file is likely to be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read here many of your replies Giliad.  I have used your experience and suggestion.

So... in regards to Javascript arrays within the scope of  version 1.6 can  you confirm that all, if not most, array iteration methods are legal functions?  (most are callback functions)  If so, then I'll have to improve my understanding of them.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks G. It is the exact document I need.  It confirms that iterations should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines