• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why change everything?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why? Why do you "creators" feel a need to completely change the layout of toolbars, etc. in a program?! Do you have nothing to do so you just search out what you can do to aggravate us? Adobe Acrobat DC is now TOTALLY different in the toolbar layouts! WHY???

TOPICS
Modern Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 24, 2023 Jun 24, 2023

@reginal79098089 wrote on 22 June:

Adobe Acrobat DC is now TOTALLY different in the toolbar layouts!

Hi Reginal,

I have yet to hear from someone who likes the "new experience" in Acrobat, but it is easy to turn off!

Steps to enable [and disable] the new experience

• To enable the new experience, go to View > Enable new Acrobat and click Restart.
  • To disable the new experience,
    • Windows: Click the hamburger menu ( 3 lines ) at the upper left corner and choose Disable new Acrobat.
    • macOS: Go

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Was this even tested before it was released to the public?

By @Jerome DCProud Lewis

Adobe has pre-release testers for all the Creative Suite programs and Acrobat. Occassionally I see Adobe announce for people to join the testing program.

Many of us community experts here in the forums are testers for Adobe, and many of us have been doing this since the 1980s and 1990s. 

I can't recall much positive feedback from the testers before the "modern" Acrobat was released to the public. I know m

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Hi All!

I hope you all are doing well.

We acknowledge that the new Acrobat represents a notable change; however, we hope that as you get familiar with the new interface, you can be more productive & get more out of Acrobat.  

As we made these changes in the interface, we have tried to ensure all tools & features currently supported retain their familiar functionalities and workflows as they did in the previous version. We are committed to addressing any gaps or issues users report related

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 321 Replies 321
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bookshaker 

disable the new acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Change is better and minimal but very annoying when simple customization or settings are not kept after opting for new look. Biggest difference is that Bookmark bar is on Right side. Really? For example, Bookmarks bar keep opening for every file you open. It does not matter if you check "Remember current state of Tools Pane" on or off. For both Reader and Acrobat. Now, While Chatting with Customer support agent, he suggested to go back to previous look. I did. and It still is keeping the bookmark bar open. So, now it is not working which used to work before change. Asked me to share a screenshot. I took a screenshot and about to attach to a chat and chat was ended by the agent.  Great Customer Support BTW. Tried all kinds of registry settings and changes but now I am stuck with bookmark bar OPEN. Have to open several PDF docs daily and keep closing the bar. Thanks ADOBE!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this even tested before it was released to the public? I'm currently working on a document with multiple hyperlinks. I decided to change the hyperlink properties in a document in which (because the test is laid out in a two-column format)  some hyperlinks spread out over two or more lines. But not only is there not a way to set document-wide properties for hyperlinks, I have to change the properties for *each line* of the hyperlink, even if I define the entire hyperlink. Plus, the new version doesn't even allow me to create a macro that would make up for this deficiency. I am going back to the old version. We are paying way too much for software that makes users do this much unnecessary work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2024 Feb 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this even tested before it was released to the public?

By @Jerome DCProud Lewis

Adobe has pre-release testers for all the Creative Suite programs and Acrobat. Occassionally I see Adobe announce for people to join the testing program.

Many of us community experts here in the forums are testers for Adobe, and many of us have been doing this since the 1980s and 1990s. 

I can't recall much positive feedback from the testers before the "modern" Acrobat was released to the public. I know my comments back to the engineers were fairly extensive. Some things were improved (darkening the icons from a light gray to a dark gray, for example). But for the most part, the comments have fallen on deaf ears.

Over the past 18 months, I personally have continued to use and test the newest beta releases, but I often have to abandon them and switch to another computer that runs the "classic" interface. I have only so much time to donate to Adobe to dignose problems (and provide detailed bug reports and comments to the engineers). I, like most folks here, have a job to do. Working for free for Adobe is not on my to-do list.

3 suggestions:

1. Disable the new Acrobat and revert back to the "classic" interface. I believe that all of the old functionality is still active there.
  2. Join the Acrobat beta testing group. I don't know where to direct you to join, but try searching for a public page in the Acrobat section of Adobe's website.
  3. Consider another brand of PDF editing software. The PDF file format was placed into the public domain about 15 years ago and since then, other companies have developed competing programs. Wikipedia has a decent list of other brands. One of our favorites is ABBY Fine Reader/PDF.

But note that none of these competing programs have all the features of Acrobat, so if you're in certain industries, you're really stuck with Adobe Acrobat. These industry-specific features include:

• Accessible PDFs and documents
  • PDF forms
  • Printing, graphic arts, and preflighting for print
  • Security
  • Digital signatures
  • Automated PDF documents (aka, stuff like bank statements created from a database a on grand scale)

So see if any other alternative brand gets the job done for you. Be careful of the company's country of origin: you might not be able to install software from certain countries, which is the case here in the US for government computers.  Example: FoxIt is a Chinese company and usually is not allowed on our government clients' computers.

As always, don't forget to voice your comments on UserVoice and click the button to VOTE. That is the only place where Adobe takes notice of customers.

Let Adobe know:

You can voice your opinion about the new interface at UserVoice: https://acrobat.uservoice.com/forums/590923-acrobat-for-windows-and-mac/suggestions/47082691-ditch-t... 

Be sure to leave a comment about your experience with the new interface. They need to hear from users. And don't forget to click the VOTE button.

FYI, UserVoice is Adobe's official website where it reads and takes into account suggestions and complaints from users of its various products.  On the other hand, this community forum is a user-to-user help forum.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bevi,

Just for the record, not all the old functionality is active, it rather became crippled. See this report:

Restoring PDF Portfolio Functionality in the New UI: Addressing Browsing Issues and Thumbnail Displa...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't you do an update that will maintian my current tool settings and other prferences. I also notice that when I try to add a tool to the toolbar the save function is grayed out, preventing me from restoring the tools I frequently need. I don't run into this frustration with INDD or PS. Why can't you update Acrobat w/o causing so much frustration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i HATE the new acrobat view - have reverted to the original. Is almost bad enough to make me want to find another reader. Previously intuitive - why chnage it just for the sake of it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leave the stuff alone that we use day to day. If you feel like functionality needs to be added, give us a tab to review.

DO NOT MAKE US HUNT FOR FEATURES WE HAVE BEEN USING FOR YEARS!!! Adobe and Microsoft are the worst for mucking up menus. If it's not broke, don't fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Samtc1958 

were you able to restore the old interface?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Samtc1958

You are so correct. Microsoft is infamous for this.  Their most recent was Win11.   They took many features of Win10 and buried them in deeper menus in Win11.  Just atrocious.  Apple is kind of starting to do this as they try to morph their macOS into looking more and more like iOS.  Just stop it already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated this week and the new interface is to say the least. How do I revert to the old view with menu bars and commands. Rotate page now asks how much. 90 was default and now 2 clicks. This is akin to MS Office where we all knew whwre stuff was and some decided to change all that. These are tools to get the job done, not work on their own where we wate time trying to figure out where commands have gone - hand tool is now pan - who decided that was a good move. !!!!

[Abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

win: file > disable new acrobat 

mac: view > disable new acrobat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not have a prompt to accept new look and feel as opposed to imposing it with no straightforward way to get back? TEAMS asked me if I want the new look, Outlook the same.
REMEMBER these are tools to get the job done and not the job itself before completing work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not have a prompt to accept new look and feel as opposed to imposing it with no straightforward way to get back?

By @1963tigre

Great idea!

The Acrobat team does not have Ideas and Bug Reports in the Community forums as most other boards do. Instead they use another website called UserVoice. You can post your idea here: https://acrobat.uservoice.com/

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has never ever been an update to scrobat that didn't screw up the use - for absolutely no good reason!

Also, the archaic way to change some properties, like the 'ctrl-e' for fontsizes in nots or for the scaling of the measuring tool - where a simple right-click and / or a setting, activated by a menu would have been extremely much more usable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2023 Sep 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am feeling exactly this way. They moved the area with the tools from right to left. Wow. Why??? make it an option for lefthanded people, but WHY US????

And I cannot for the life of me find bookmarks anywhere. I am going to disable the new experience until someone at adobe realizes they have messed with the program with no warning and no guidlines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2023 Sep 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you open adobe to do a task and sudddenly are looking at the black obelisk from 2001: A Space Odessy.

There none of your normal sticks and no warning or anything - I feel like a caveman all of a sudden.

Now 23 minutes later I can start the original 10 minute task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2023 Sep 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So helpful Jane and Bevi.  Yay, I got the previous version restored! Did Adobe really test this new version on a sufficient focus group or was this just an internal  (bad) decision?  The new version is not only less intuitive to use but visually unappealing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Adding new features is good. Improving the fuctionality is good. Simply moving menus and buttons around is pointless and likely to aggravate almost all longtime users. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back to the old menu as shown. I have tested the new interface and decided, that I like it. I can understand that you want what you are used too, and Adobe seems to anticipate this. At least for now, the old interface is still available. Use that one.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abambo:

What is it about the new interface that you like? Is there anything in particular that is way better?

I can figure out how to use this new interface. I will learn to use it in time. It looks like they switched left and right menus to the opposite sides for reasons I can't fathom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abambo:

What is it about the new interface that you like? Is there anything in particular that is way better?

By @james90293

The interface is cleaner. I was never a fan of the old interface. You ask 10 people and you get 10 different opinions. As I understood, the new interface does not yet allow for all the customizations that the old one allowed for.

For now, Adobe decided the new interface was a big disruption, so they allow you to use the old interface and to continue to work as you are used to. 

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, Adobe pulled a Windows Metro on Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree 100%. What they have done should be criminalized. At the very least, put out a very detailed video and tutorials explaining where everything went and update all of their online articles to reflect these absurd changes. One can't find anything now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One can't find anything now.

By @GKARAM

Have you disabled the "new experience" yet, as described throughout this thread?

• To disable the new experience,
    • Windows: Click the hamburger menu ( 3 lines ) at the upper left corner and choose Disable new Acrobat.
    • macOS: Go to View > Disable new Acrobat.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines