• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do I have to get Doxillion to read PDFs?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2021 Aug 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a laptop running Win 10. I have Adobe Acrobat PDF Pack subscription. I have PDF Reader installed and up to date on my laptop but I'm suddenly being told that I need to install Doxillion in order to look at PDFs that I was viewing on PDF Reader yesterday. I haven't downloaded or installed any other s/ware in the meantime. Does anybody have any idea what's going on? 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Hope you are doing well.

Doxillion is a 3rd party PDF reader software. If you have got the Acrobat PDF Pack subscription so there's no need to have this one. So, looking at what you have explained above, it could be possibility that you have started getting advertisement/suggestions on  your previous search history. Or randomly clicked on some advertisement link in past.

Look at the pop-up, there should be an option to hide such suggestion permanently. 

Thanks,

Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the popup only offers the option of running Doxillion or cancelling. If I cancel, the popup disappears but nothing else happens. There are links 'Why am I seeing this?' which goes to an NCH Software web page and 'About Doxillion' which goes to a web page promoting Doxillion. I've tried rebooting the laptop but it makes no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that this is a common problem. I went to the NCH tech support web page and there's a link reading 'Doxillion is now the default for all my documents and email attachments' Click the link and there are instructions on how to change back to using Adobe as the default program for PDFs. I have no idea what I did to make NCH stop my laptop using Adobe Acrobat Reader but it's extremely annoying that this can happen so easily.

Anyway - problem sorted now thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for updating the discussion with your findings.

Let us know if there's anything else you need help with

~Akanchha 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many NCH tech support pages - which one? anyway  and I see no such link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I posted the solution back in October. It is: The solution that I came up with on a PC (presumably there's a similar solution on Apple products) was to locate the PDF in my file system, right mouse click and from the drop-down list select 'Open with'. A box opens offering various options. Click Adobe Acrobat.  From memory when I clicked on that a dialog box opened and asked if I always wanted to open this type of file with Adobe Acrobat. I clicked yes and I haven't had a problem since.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  this helped me and very quickly!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I had a dollar for every time something does (or tries) to grab a default for my OS... Jeez.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had this problem surface yesterday, and I do not like being blackmailed. I read online that by running the program, and then un-installing it, the problem would disappear, but no, did that, and still can't open PDF's or Word docs without getting the prompt to install it. Can't download my car registration notifications or any other attachments. After I installed it so as to get rid of it, it actually changed 2 PDF files to videos, without me asking, and when I went to open them after the un-install, I was informed that I needed to install the program to convert the files back to PDF's! I have NCH's Video Pad Editor installed, and have used it very occasionally, so I am wondering if this was the trigger for this happening. Anyway VPE is going!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution that I came up with on a PC (presumably there's a similar solution on Apple products) was to locate the PDF in my file system, right mouse click and from the drop-down list select 'Open with'. A box opens offering various options. Click Adobe Acrobat.  From memory when I clicked on that a dialog box opened and asked if I always wanted to open this type of file with Adobe Acrobat. I clicked yes and I haven't had a problem since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beautiful!  This worked perfectly, and I am incredibly relieved!  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried "open with" but in my case it didn't give me any options of setting it as default.

The solution I had is by Clicking on "Set PDF as Default" found on the right corner when I opened Adobe Acrobat DC. No issue after. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A solution that works is a winner!  Glad you're on track again.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it works with me. Thaaaanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help

I have thousands of PDF files on my laptop.  Since having Doxillion I cannot open any of them. I cannot open them with Doxillion. It keeps asking what I want to convert, but I never require the 'convert' function.

When I receive a PDF attachment, I want to 'save as' and keep it in the appropriate folder, without ever converting it into something else.

Can I uninstall Doxillion?  What is he reason for Doxillion's existance? 

Petrus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Easy answer, right click one of the files. Go to properties and change to file type you want to open it with. Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is ludicrous - I never installed anything to do with NCH so why is such a popup message coming through and how did they get access to my PC? Is this something that's happened with a windows update perhaps? Extremely frustrating and annoying. Grateful for the info on going to NCH support and finding the answer there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.  This has randomly popped up and now I can not open PDF's.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - have you read my message above? 

The solution that I came up with on a PC (presumably there's a similar solution on Apple products) was to locate the PDF in my file system, right mouse click and from the drop-down list select 'Open with'. A box opens offering various options. Click Adobe Acrobat.  From memory when I clicked on that a dialog box opened and asked if I always wanted to open this type of file with Adobe Acrobat. I clicked yes and I haven't had a problem since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines