• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do I lose the ability to edit items I filled in forms?

New Here ,
Jan 01, 2019 Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large pdf form to fill in.  I fill it all out and save the document, attach some files, etc.  Then when I reopen the file and want to edit my answers, it no longer allows me to "open" the text or check marks that I added (all additions made using Fill and Sign).  Any tips on why this is occurring and how to avoid this in the future?  I'm using Acrobat DC Pro.

Thanks much.

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Because there are a lot of issues with this tool (like not being able to edit what you entered, or an "auto-complete" feature that can't be turned off). The "normal" commenting tools are much more versatile and reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you try to edit them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the text appears the same as any other text of the form.  Adobe doesn't recognize that text as a fill and sign addition.  Does that makes sense?  Normally, when I make an addition via fill and sign, I can "open" that addition up and delete or edit it.  But in this document I now can't do that for any older additions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using Fill & Sign to add text if you have Acrobat? Use one of the normal commenting tools, or a text field, or the Add Text tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay then.  I'll do that in the future.  There are so many different ways to fill in a form in Acrobat.  It is quite confusing to figure out which one is the best to use.  Edit PDF, Fill and Sign, commenting tool, etc.  I did not know that the best choice is through the commenting tool.  That seems like a different set of tools (related to collaboration with others) than just filling in a form, but now I know.

Thanks much,

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why wouldn't one use Fill & Sign to fill in PDF forms?  Why would the commenting tools be a better choice???

PDF forms typically can be filled out in Acrobat without selecting any specific tools assuming they have form fields defined (which would be highlighted).  For PDFs that do not have all fields pre-defined Fill & Sign is a good solution where you can simply add text or annotations free form as well as adding signatures created from type/scribble/image. 

Thanks,

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because there are a lot of issues with this tool (like not being able to edit what you entered, or an "auto-complete" feature that can't be turned off). The "normal" commenting tools are much more versatile and reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh - looks like you didn't read the question I posted to start this thread.  Fill and Sign is quite problematic.  I do a lot of additions and then all the sudden can't go back and edit them when needed.  That is a grave problem with Fill and Sign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not that I did not read the issue, but just because that answer helped you does not make it the right answer.  It is better to figure out why Fill & Sign or the normal form filling function in Acrobat/Reader is not working than to recommend to users that they use commenting tools (not designed for Form filling) to fill in PDF forms instead of the tools that Adobe did design for this purpose. You seam to have a solution that works for you but it is not the best practice.

Once you have signed a PDF the existing content is "locked" and cannot be edited further, I would assume this is why you are not able to edit when you re-open, that you have signed the PDF. 

Thanks,

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh -

Thanks.  Yes, the point of my post was to figure out why the content I added got "locked".  I didn't sign the document, so that isn't the reason, but that is good to know.  I did add additional pages (attachments required for the application I was filling out) - would that do it?

Given this behavior I do feel comfortable with marking try67's answer as correct. 

Thanks,

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it was not signed the content added in Fill & Sign should still be editable, it should not be locked.

Did you insert the additional pages into the PDF or add them as an attachment?  It sounds like they were added as an attachment, in either case that should not result in the fields being locked so it sounds like a bug.  I just tried both - filled in a form in Fill & Sign and then added a PDF as attachment, and inserted a PDF as additional pages.  In both cases after saving and closing the PDF when I open it again and click on "Fill & Sign" I can edit the content I had previously added.  If I could get steps from you that produce a bug I can file it with the product team.

Thanks,

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to unsign a document and edit the filled in sections?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2022 Jul 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you signed it, yes. Right-click the signature and select Clear Signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines