• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does my dropdown necesitate a second click before it displays the list? Why doesn't it show after the first click on the dropdown arrow?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to fix a fillable PDF that our office uses. I've re-created the dropdown box and list several times. But still, the dropdown arrow must be clicked on twice before it will display its list. This is not user friendly, as a user wants to know there is a list to choose from after the first time clicking on the arrow.

I am using Adobe Acrobat X Pro, Acrobat 7.x and my PDF version is 1.6 - in case it matters.

Thank you for any thoughts or help on the matter!

Pamela

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't normal, so it would be helpful if you could post a sample form somewhere so we can test it out and see what the problem is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, ok - will do that in about an hour and a half - thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to upload the form here but nothing seems to allow me to... I especially made a sample form to view and try out. It will only allow images or video to be uploaded, or a link to a webpage. Do you know of any way to just upload this PDF? Thank you and sorry to bother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use a service like dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't post files here, but you can use the document cloud (cloud.acrobat.com, Send & Track > Create Link) and provide a link to it here. If you don't want to do that, feel free to email me at: acroscript at gmail dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much, George! I will email it to you then rather than make a dropbox account at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is with Chrome's built-in PDF viewer, not something with the form. You'll notice that it behaves as you'd expect when viewed directly in Acrobat or Reader. I'm not sure there's anything you can do about this, but I'll try a few things and post again if I have anything helpful to add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, i that makes perfect sense - it does work correctly in Reader I saw just now!! But I am in Acrobat  X Pro, and I'm trying it from there and that is where it continues to do this odd thing.

I won't worry about it anymore, as most people use Reader and it should be fine.

Thanks again for your time and help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2017 Sep 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually getting this same problem at work using Acrobat X and then opening in Adobe Reader. The first click shows a bigger "bubbly" widget (sort of like it's using the OS widget interface). The second click puts it back to "normal" and lets you select an option. Very annoying and I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old thread, but was there ever a solution? I am experiencing the same issue and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix the 'glitch' that requires you to double click before a drop down list will display properly.

I click the dropdown arrow for the field and it briefly appears (a little larger than the actual dropdown list should be) and then quickly disappears. When I click it a second time it opens properly. 

It's not preventing me from completing any forms - but it is very annoying.

Using Adobe Acrobat DC to create and use the forms, if that matters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share with us a sample file that demonstrates this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@try67 

Hi,

I'm having the same problem and I'm not sure what is causing the issue. I'd like the user to click once on the drop down and immediately see the drop down list. See the form I'm creating attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no problem with this form. The dropdowns work just fine. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So there is not a way to click the drop down once and have the list show on the first click? I'm having to click the drop down field twice before I can see the the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I was able to solve the problem was to have our IT staff uninstall and re-install the software.  For those that have never experienced it, it is absolutely infuriating. My advice is to re-install Acrobat and cross your fingers.  Both myself and my IT Dept spent hours trying to adjust settings, etc., to no avail.  For any other readers out there with this same problem, I would encourage your fist step to be to re-install the program.  Don't waste your time adjusting settings.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First world problems I know, but this has been driving me BONKERS. I created a whole fillable form using Livecycle Designer which has worked well for years and now it's started doing that double click nonsense. Sheesh. It is soooo frustrating. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling Acrobat. I suspect Acrobat is actually slowing my whole PC down as it has been doing weird things since I tried to upgrade it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.....annnnnd.... it didn't work for me. I uninstalled Acrobat and reinstalled my genuine copy of acrobat and still getting the annoying double click things aaaaarrrrgggghh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I clicked on the dropdown arrow it immediately showed the list, and I could make a selection. I never needed to double click. Perhaps this is an issue with your installation. Have someone else try it on their computer.

BTW, this clicking action for showing the dropdown list has nothing at all to do with the "Commit selected value immediately" option in the field properties dialog. 

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this? I'm having the same problem. I tried the only solution I found online, and it didn't work for me.  I tried going to->  Prepare form-  [select drop down cell] -  Properties - Options - checked the 'Commit selected value immediatly' radio button.  This did not solve the problem.  Very annoying to have to click on cell-drop down, then click on drop-down arrow again to see the list. This issue persists across a very large form.  I hope there is a solution.

I attached a sterilized drop down as an example.  Any help is appreciated.

Running Adobe Acrobat 2017 (17.011.30204)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to chime in for reference: I never found a solution for this issue regarding my form. I, too, tried several solutions found online - including uninstalling and starting completely over. Nothing worked.

I'm not able to upload the form I'm using because it contains sensitive information - but the problem persists. I've just learned to live with it, as frustrating as it may be.

Oddly enough, the two forms posted here as samples by others I am able to use without issue. The dropdown does not have the glitch. I've opened them both in Adobe DC, which is the same version of the program I've been using for my form. So I am not sure why the ones I've been creating and using myself have had issues, but these that others have posted (which they say are causing issues for them) aren't for me.

go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone figure this one out - I am having the same issue with my PDF as well as the test PDF attached above - have to click twice. Acrobat Pro DC.

Cheers

Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works in Adobe Acrobat DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropdowns work with a single click in Chrome - but in Acrobat Pro  - every drop down on any form is requiring 2 clicks. Not the only person reporting this....

Have tried multiple options under each field - commit, lock, spell check, sort etc - nothing seems to change the fact that the first click seems to "select" the field - second click is required to activate the drop down. Once the field is selectd - it is a single click each time - but click off the field and back - 2 clicks.

Anyone get anywhere with this? Also - as someone pointed out as well - the font seems to change size on the first click (larger) and then changes back on second click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - tried what someone else suggsted - despite Adobe CC Desktop launch site saying that Acrobat was up to date - I uninstalled and reinstalled and now have a newer version of Acrobat and low and behold drop downs are now working with 1 click. 

Interesting as even though Adobe CC Launch site said Acrobat was up to date - 'About Acrobat' showed continuous release version - 2015-2016. No updates were available in Adobe CC Desktop. So uninstalled and reinstalled and now have continuous release 2022 version and works. Hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines