• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does my printed PDF have missing symbols (e.g., page #s, bullets, and other icons).

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to Acrobat Pro DC.  When I print PDFs, symbols such as numbers on numbered lists and other icons are missing.

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should state your OS and the version of the OS and the version of your Acrobat.

Out of the blind, I would guess that there is a font problem, either on your computer or with your printer.

As a first test, you could check "Print as image" (Advanced tab of the printing dialogue), which makes the Ripping in memory by Acrobat and send an image to the printer.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I have a MacOS Sierra (10.12.6) and I am using Acrobat Pro DC.  Your suggestion to go into advanced settings and use the print image option worked.  I am so grateful for this and for the screenshots.  I will also explore changing the font that we are using for these forms to prevent this issue in the future.  I am so appreciative of your time and expertise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emily,

I'm happy that my indications were of help.

Print as image helps always, when there are problems with the PDF file. Causes may be a poor printer driver implementation or a printer bug in some circumstances or a communication problem between Acrobat and the driver and the driver to the printer.

The drawback of Print as image is that you send an image to the printer. Vector graphics and fonts are probably not as sharp as used and the size of the data to send to the printer augments considerably and so does the overall time to print.

You can look into the fonts of your pdf file (command d — fonts tab) and look there for fonts that are not embedded. Font problems come (mostly) always from fonts that are not embedded.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem but then I've found the solution!

1. Select the symbol that is not showing on the PDF from the Symbols library pallette
  2. Click the top right menu of the Symbols pallette (three lines)
  3. Choose Symbol Options...
  4. On Symbol Type select Dynamic Symbol

All done! Now save as PDF and celebrate! Haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, I had this problem and for the longest time freaked out and tried to fix it. Eventually I did. If you save the file as a new document, it gets rid of the missing symbols. Don't know why but just thought I'd post here and let everyone know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines