Exit

why pdf form fields are lost while editing in Adobe illustrator

Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I am facing a peculiar problem. In my home and office pc, both have-

1) Windows 10 64 bit same version (intalled from same ISO)

2) Both have Adobe Illustrator 2022 version (installed from same source files)

3) Both have Adobe Acrobat Pro DC 2020.006.20042 (installed from same source files)

Designing a pdf form (only text and layouts of the form) in Adobe Illustrtor, I generally create Fillable Form Fields in Acrobat. After creating the Form Fields, if I again edit the form (with fillable form fields which are not shown in illustrator but remain in pdf form) in Adobe Illustrator, save it and then open again by Acrobat, all Form Fields are retain if edited in my Home PC but the only the texts and layouts are retain but the Form Fields are lost if edited in Office PC.

I can't figure out where is the problem actually. Both PC have same Windows, Same Illustrator and Same Acrobat. I even Reset the preferences of Adobe Illustrator in my home pc. But while the Form Fields are retain after editing it by Illustrator in my home pc, why the Form Fields are lost in my office pc? Is there any settings which causing this problem? 

Please note that configuration of my home and office pc are different although they both have Windows 10 64 bit. My home pc is highly configured than office pc, as for example it has external graphics card while the office pc has built-in motherboard graphics chip. 

If anyone have a practical experience on this problem, please share me the solution of it.

Thanks

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

It is not expected that you can edit a PDF form in Illustrator. If it works sometimes, that is lucky and surprising. Not recommended to try.

The usual procedure is to edit the underlying PDF content (without form fields), make a new PDF, and then use REPLACE PAGES in Acrobat. This keeps the current document form fields, but changes the static page content. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not supposed to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't understand. Which one is not supposed to work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not expected that you can edit a PDF form in Illustrator. If it works sometimes, that is lucky and surprising. Not recommended to try.

The usual procedure is to edit the underlying PDF content (without form fields), make a new PDF, and then use REPLACE PAGES in Acrobat. This keeps the current document form fields, but changes the static page content. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please check this video on how I usually edit Fillable PDF forms in Adobe Illustrator for long days, even in Illustrator 2022 at my Home PC:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the video on How I edit an already created fillable pdf in illustrator (In my Home PC) but it's form fileds are retained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I can see it works for you. This is surprising and unexpected, so I recommend the process I described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for showing me the correct way. But do you have any idea why this works for one pc but does not work in another pc while the Windows 10, Illustrator and Acrobat are same version and even installed from the same source file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's really more of a question for the Illustrator forum. Acrobat isn't involved in that editing method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines