• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows Application to adobe acrobat pro dc printer does not work

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, We have a windows application which sends PDFs to printers. When adobe acrobat pro dc is selected it does not print (no error dialogues).

What can be going wrong ? are there any logs to get some hint ? 

thanks

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

What is the application you are using to print the PDFs and what are the steps you are doing? A small video recording of the same would be very helpful.

Is this an issue with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs?  Please try with a different PDF file and check. If the file is stored on a shared network/drive, please download it to your computer locally and then try again.

Also, please check for any missing/pending updates for printer driver and firmware and try updating it and check.

You may also go through the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/troubleshoot-pdf-printing-acrobat-reader.html and check.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amal, 

Thanks for your quick reply. It's a .NET windows application & it produces PDFs. The users can choose a printer where they want to print these PDFs. If the user selects a Network Printer or PDF Creator for example it works great. But some of our users use adobe acrobat pro dc as the printer, and then it doesn't print out anything. 

So I'm thinking its a setting somewhere in adobe acrobat pro dc which can do the trick. can you help me out with this ?

Thanks again. 

Abhinav 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abhinav

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble.

Are you using the Adobe PDF printer to print the PDF files? If yes, printing PDFs to Adobe PDF is called refrying and it is not recommended. For more information about using the Adobe PDF printer, please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/using-pdf-printer.html

Hope this information will help

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amal, 

Thanks for your response.

Yes, that is exactly what we are doing (refrying). 

But if a PDF is opened in Adobe PDF reader and then printed (using Ctrl+P) it prints fine using Adobe PDF printer. But if the application submits a job to Adobe PDF printer (the application is sending PDFs, thus refrying) then it doesn't work. 
Is this strange behaviour expected ? as it's a not recommended use case? 

Thanks 
Abhinav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amal, 

did you get a chance to check it?

thanks

Abhinav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

As mentioned the Acrobat Application is working fine, however, when the .Net Windows application sends the job to the printer its not working. It seems to be some issue with the .Net windows application, there isn't much that we can do in this case.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amal, 

Can you tell me where can I find the logs from adobe acrobat pro dc printer? 

Becuase I hope that should give me a hint or more details to talk to you. 

thanks a lot

Abhinav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abhinav

You may collect the Process monitor logs using the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html

Please try to print the PDF from the .NET Windows application and then follow the steps shared in the link to collect the process monitor log files.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amal, 

Thanks, I appreciate your help. When the application sends the printing job to "adobe acrobat pro dc printer" acromonitor generates the following logs 

2 memory dump & a couple of excels about the system configuration. 

So what is clear is that the application does submit its job and "adobe acrobat pro dc printer" detects it as it triggers the dumps & excel. 

But the logs are not readable (as they are dump files) and therefore I could not gather much out of it. Is there any possibility of having application logs from "adobe acrobat pro dc printer" ? 

Or would you need some details from my side to help us out further. 

thanks 

Abhinav 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abhinav

Would you mind sharing the log files as described here https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/sharing-pdfs.html so that we can check it for further investigation?

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amal, 

Unfortunately, the path  https://documentcloud.adobe.com is blocked at the company so the registered user cant upload the logs. 

What I can tell you is the sequence of windows 10 APIs the application makes to submit the print job. This works fine for other PDF creators & network printers but not for acrobat pro dc printer. 

All functions are from winspool.drv 

1. OpenPrinterA
  2. StartDocPrinterA
  3.  StartPagePrinter
  4. WritePrinter
  5. EndPagePrinter
  6. EndDocPrinter
  7. ClosePrinter

can you help us based on the above information ?

thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
The post got accidentally closed so I would try to open it again.
The path https://documentcloud.adobe.com is blocked at the company, thus the user with registered “adobe acrobat pro dc printer” cannot upload the documents.
I’ll let you know the windows APIs & the sequence in which the application calls which works for other PDF creators & network printers but not adobe acrobat pro dc printer.
Since they are from windows driver “winspool.Drv” , may be you’ll be able to reproduce it at your end
Assembly winspool.Drv
1. OpenPrinterA
2. StartDocPrinterA
3. StartPagePrinter
4. WritePrinter
5. EndPagePrinter
6. EndDocPrinter
7. ClosePrinter
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

You may upload the logs file to any cloud storage, generate the link, and share the link with us.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Amal, we are checking with our company the policy to upload the logs for Adobe. Our company's spoc for Adobe returns next week. 

I'll write to you.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines