Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word 2016 crashes during PDF creation

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Windows 10, Office 2016, Acrobat DC Pro

I have a large number of Word docs to convert to PDF. The vast majority convert just fine, but there are a handful that crash Word during the PDF creation process. It happens toward the end of the conversion when it's applying tags. If I uncheck the accessibility/tagging box before creation it will finish correctly.

I've tried them on 2 computers with Office 2016 and Acrobat DC Pro. Both crash.

I tried them on a computer with Windows 7, Office 2010, and Acrobat 11 Pro. They convert without issue. No crashes.

But I really need to figure out why it's crashing on the Win10/Office2016 boxes.

I'd be happy to upload an example document but this forum doesn't seem to have an option to do so, unless I've missed it.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2016 Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

the same problem - word crashes while "tags will be updated" (WinWord.exe [12056]). If have updated ADC (15.006.30198) and Word (2016 MSO 16.0.7030.1021 32 bit).

This happens only, when I try to convert "bigger" files; with files up to 70 sites there is no problem.

Can anyone solve this problem?!?

Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found one trick that seems to work, although I've only tried it a couple times.  Go to Acrobat > Preferences and turn off Create Bookmarks and Enable Accessibility and Reflow and then create the PDF, which should work fine.  Then turn Create Bookmarks back on and convert it again.  This has allowed me to create PDFs with bookmarks without the converter crashing, but of course it requires two passes on each file.  I don't know if it would work for Accessibility and Reflow or not.  I'm not sure why this works, but hopefully it will give the Adobe team something else to look at for troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it today in another way: right click at the word-document and select "convert to adobe pdf". A pdf-file with bookmarks is created by adobe - but I don't know why...

Ralf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As pointed out by Marc a workaround is to switch off creation of tags by unchecking the "Enable Accessibility and Reflow with tagged Adobe PDF" option in the Acrobat->Preferences dialog.

Please note that the team is actively working on getting this bug fixed.

Regards,

Basma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All,

Unchecking this option SOLVED our issues as well.  We'll look forward to a fix from Adobe on this ASAP.

Cheers,

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record, this hasn't fixed my problem entirely.  The document I submitted as a sample works when converted from within Word with tagging turned off, but it still fails if I right-click from Windows explorer and choose Convert to PDF, which should use the same preferences that were set in Word.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marc,

To avoid the crash during right click conversion you need to uncheck the "Enable Accessibility and Reflow" option from within Acrobat. For this you need to launch Acrobat. Go to Edit->Preferences->Convert To PDF->Microsoft Office Word->Edit settings and uncheck "Enable Accessibility and Reflow". You can use this approach to avoid the crash till a fix is released for the issue.

Regards,

Basma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Basma.  This was very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Balsam.  This has prevented crashing, but sometimes right-click conversions do not generate the Bookmarks panel, even though the option is turned on in the Convert To PDF settings.  I prefer to use the right-click conversion because it's faster and because when I convert from within Word, my font kerning is bad and I'm not sure how to fix that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have aborted using the Acrobat PDF maker and went to Bullzip.  Works great for basics. Not sure if it will have all the features you want.  But the free version works great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. From Microsoft Word go to File>Options>Addins>Com Add-Ins>Go
  2. Fully remove and readd the Adobe PDFMaker addin from this location (If you just redirect the addin without fully removing may still have issues):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\PDFMaker\Office then select “PDFMofficeAddin.dll”

3. Hit “Ok” twice to make sure the addin location saves. 

Issue is also described here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1874227

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Office 365 with this version of Word

Capture.JPG

and this version of Adobe reader

Image1.jpg

I have checked MS Word Addins and there is no Adobe Addin.

I have checked Adobe settings and there is no "Enable Accessibility and Reflow" option

I cannot save word documents as .PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need Acrobat to do it. The free Reader can't create new PDF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thread was labelled "Word 2016 crashes during PDF creation"

I thought this was about Word crashing, not Reader.

In the past I have been able to save Word Docs as PDF from Word.

According to this Microsoft webpage, they are still working on the problem.

Save to PDF and Export to PDF crash in Word 2016 and Excel 2016 - Word

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a Microsoft issue, not an Adobe issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines