Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Word change bars disappear in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC pdf

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Is anyone experiencing an issue (just in the last 4-6 weeks) when converting a Word document to an Adobe PDF, where your change bars are no longer showing up in your PDF when using the "Save as Adobe PDF" feature in Word?

The change bars DO appear in the Adobe PDF if I perform a "Save As" and change the "Save as type:" to "PDF (*pdf)". In that situation the "Publish what" under "Options..." is automatically set to "Document showing markup" enabled, but I cannot find an equivalent setting in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. I am using Office 2016 on Windows 10 box with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC version 2019.012.20040.

I have been scouring the web for potential solutions, but not having much luck. Any ideas are much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Hi Karen_Z,

Thanks for your response. I am glad this was helpful. It is an annoyance, since we have hundreds of documents, but at least the work-around gets us by. The "collective" mind is these forums is always a great resource to solve issues.

I should also mention that if you convert it using the work-around and you use the File > Document Properties window to add the Title, Author, etc., that information does not come over in the conversion. You have to re-enter it.

Good luck and I, too, hope

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Hi jqpublic11,

As a further update to you and to anyone else who reads this topic, one of my colleagues (thanks, Janet!) discovered a second workaround. When converting Word to PDF and the Word file is closed and sitting in a windows folder you can right-click the Word version, select "Convert to Adobe PDF", select where you want it to be deposited, and click Save. When the PDF has been created, this version will also retain the change bars (at least for us). 

Happy PDFing,

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Yes I have come across the same problem after my company switched to DC. I have nothing to add, but I'm glad you posted, as this is all I could find in my searching. Thank you for finding the workaround. Let's hope Adobe picks up on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karen_Z,

Thanks for your response. I am glad this was helpful. It is an annoyance, since we have hundreds of documents, but at least the work-around gets us by. The "collective" mind is these forums is always a great resource to solve issues.

I should also mention that if you convert it using the work-around and you use the File > Document Properties window to add the Title, Author, etc., that information does not come over in the conversion. You have to re-enter it.

Good luck and I, too, hope Adobe includes a fix in their next version.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the update, we use the Properties as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this problem when using the "Save as Adobe PDF" feature as well as "Create PDF" from the Acrobat tab.  The workaround that works for me is to choose the "Adobe PDF" printer under File/Print.  I am currently using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC ver. 2020.013.20074.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update:  The Adobe PDF printer option will strip the clickable links from the pdf.  Mat10's workaround does work for both change bars ans links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jqpublic11,

As a further update to you and to anyone else who reads this topic, one of my colleagues (thanks, Janet!) discovered a second workaround. When converting Word to PDF and the Word file is closed and sitting in a windows folder you can right-click the Word version, select "Convert to Adobe PDF", select where you want it to be deposited, and click Save. When the PDF has been created, this version will also retain the change bars (at least for us). 

Happy PDFing,

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That procedure is the easiest for most conversions, but (for me, anyway) the PDF also includes a wide strip along the right margin that squashes the pages to the left. The only way I've found to convert Word to PDF AND include the change bars but NOT the strip at the right is something I read this morning (but cannot find now; sorry, whoever wrote it) is to Save As a PDF and make sure that the Options are set to Publish what: Document showing markup and Include non-pringing information: Creat bookmarks using: Headings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But I don't think that it's using Adobe...  so what's the point of paying for Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines