• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4GB Memory leak in Adobe Reader DC

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE READER Version 2022.001.20142 (64-BIT), Windows 10 21H2 (OS Builld 19044.1806).

I have had a few hangs and blank (black) screens recently, and thought it was an OS or Video Driver issue, but tonight, I had an "Out of memory" message, as well has programs not starting, so I  started the Task manager, and spotted a 92% memory usage of over 4GB for Adobe Reader DC.

I closed the 4 files I had open in Adobe Reader, and things were better, BUT I still saw a very high memory useage. I used the Task manage to create a dump file of the process, and as I expected that was over 4GB as well!!

Is there a way I can share this large file with Adobe Tech Support please?

TOPICS
Crash or freeze , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that.

As you have the recent version of the application, please try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and reboot the computer once and check.

You may also try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/how-to-reset-acrobat-preference-settings-to-defau...

Please go to Edit > Preferences > Page Display > Under rendering, Uncheck 'Use Page Cache' > Click OK and reboot the application and see if that works for you

Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Amal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for your reply. As you say, I DO have the latest version (installed very recently), so I would HOPE that your product should not suddenly need a "repair" finction done to it after such little usage (unless of course internal caches are being badly managed due to lack of defensive code, and bounds checking functions). I menion internal caches, becuase it is interesting that you mention turning Page Cacheing off. I have seen this mentioned on other (older) posts about memory leaks, and possibly similar post about related Adobe products (OCR processing/conversions), and certainly larger "pro" products like After Effects, Lightroom, and Photoshop.

Obviously there is no such thing as "perfect software", and because developers in all companies tend to use "Common Function Libraries" to use/reuse common Object Code routines, then common bugs dues to lack of defensive code for unexpected conditions can occur in ANY released software product that contains these.

I am happpy though, to follow your recommendations, and as I had ALREADY seen that commonly mentioned fix about turning off "Page Cache", it does make me wonder if these types of issues has been around for some time, as "High memory Usage" crops up a lot for several Adobe products. I HAVE now got it unticked. BUT, I will continue to monitor the Adobe Reader product more closely for Memory Leaks from now on, and report accordingly.

As I have taken the trouble of creating a dump file (now compressed to about 675MB), I would have thought that Adobe developers here MIGHT be interested in analyzing it, to see IF there are any clues in it to know where to check (i.e. what sub-routines migh want a code review), to provide more stability for Adobe Product users.

If Adobe IS interested in fixing thier deficient code (as it WAS that product creating the issue, and NOT lack of resources in my system or operating system), please idicate a way I can share this dump with them. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Thanks for sharing the observation. You may upload the dump file to any cloud storage and share the link with us so that we can get it checked by our engineering team.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Amal, thanks for the suggestion, I have placed it temporarily accessible in Google Drive, here is the link [Dump link removed for best interest of the user]

Please let me know when your engineering team has it downloaded, so that I can restrict access, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Thank you for sharing the dump file.

I have shared the same with the engineering team for review, and will share the update soon.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for passing that dump file on to the engineering team, Now that they have a copy, I assume it is OK to unshare the file, so it will not be on public view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

It is not recommended to unshare the dump file as I haven't gotten confirmation from them if they have saved it or not. However, for your best interest, I remove the link from this public platform, so that nobody else will have access to it.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Amal. , could you report any progress on this ? Read also my post there about similar symptoms on the latest Reader release in 2023: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/experiencing-memory-leak-in-23-001-20143/m...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TD47OZ have you solved or worked around the issue ? How ?  I have downgraded quite a bit to get back to a stable work tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

Could you follow the steps as described below to collect the required logs and share them via any cloud storage of your choice for further investigation of the issue.

1. Follow the step 1 of UMDH_Documentation.pdf

Note: do the setup before launching the Acrobat.

2. After that Launch the Acrobat and follow the step 2 of UMDH_Documentation.pdf

and rename the created file snap.txt to snap_before.txt.

3. Perform the workflow due to which memory leak is happening.

4. Now again follow the step 2 of UMDH_Documentation.pdf

and rename the created file snap.txt to snap_after.txt.

5. Share snap_before.txt & snap_after.txt.

6. Now follow the step 3 of UMDH_Documentation.pdf

for cleanup to use Acrobat again.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines